Which Fresh water pump?

Rikadoo

So I noticed my coach water pump is sluggish to respond when I open a faucet, looking at my old pump the outside looks as though its been seeping. So im looking at the large amount of available pumps and pressures and trying to decide which one is best for my system, I have heard too high of pressures equals leaks or worse. Has anyone got some recommendations.

I went with a Flow Max DS-01230-D2 12V 3.3 GPM Water Pump. In fact, I bought two. I'm very happy with it. 

The pressure is adjustable. There is a small screw in the bottom that you can turn to set the pressure the pump cuts out at. That pump is rated for ~45 PSI which should be just fine out of the box. I used to run mine at 60 PSI but it makes the pump run too long and it has a hard time getting up there. Yesterday I turned it back to about 40 PSI which works well with my park's water. That way I can leave the pump on 24x7 and if the park water is below 40 PSI (it's normal pressure) the pump will make up the difference. If the park water is off I don't even notice. 

I would be as concerned about park water pressure. That can vary a lot and easily go past 60 PSI which I consider the maximum safe limit. If you need an example of a good cheap regulator I can post one.

I upgraded the Shureflo in my coach to a Remco 55 AquaJet ARV. This is the pump used on upper level (Dynasty, Exec, Sig) Monacos.  Much quieter and better pressure/flow than the Shureflo. Easily found on Amazon or your favorite RV parts store. 

I will say it was not a “drop-in” for my coach.  The OEM pump was mounted vertically on the wall of the wet bay, and I chose to move the pump and mount the new one horizontally, and used 2 of the Remco 25-174 pulsation dampening hoses with right-angle fittings to connect to the existing plumbing. Whole installation, including removal of the Shurflo-flo and installation of the AquaJet took a little over an hour. 

The DW and I are very pleased with the results!

• Like 1

I looked into that pump on Amazon. I suggest reading the reviews carefully from purchasers. I was quite surprised. It seems more than a few of those pumps put out well over 120 PSI and burst pipes/joints all over their units causing some serious damage. Not trying to be a negative Nelly - I was just surprised - I didn't think an RV pump could possibly create that much pressure. The reason I looked into them was because I was hoping to find a pump that puts out ~60 PSI with some good volume. That's why I looked into them. 

With all due respect, but the information you posted is bogus about the Remco 55 AquaJet ARV putting out "well over 120 psi".

Those pumps are set to shut off at 75-85 psi which is no wheres near 120 PSI.

In fact my coach came from the factory with the Aqua-Jet and has never had anything else. Plus it has never caused anything close to what you are claiming - "burst pipes/joints all over their units causing some serious damage".

The PEX pipes and joints in my coach are rated for 100 psi and have never ever leaked or busted due to too much pressure. When using shore water I always run a pressure regulator set to 55 psi. This is the one I use - https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/263a-lf-regulator-stainless

Amazon reviews are to be treated with a "grain of salt" as there are people who have TOO much time on their hands and all they do is post bogus negative reviews.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Scotty Hutto said:

I upgraded the Shureflo in my coach to a Remco 55 AquaJet ARV. This is the pump used on upper level (Dynasty, Exec, Sig) Monacos.  Much quieter and better pressure/flow than the Shureflo. Easily found on Amazon or your favorite RV parts store. 

I will say it was not a “drop-in” for my coach.  The OEM pump was mounted vertically on the wall of the wet bay, and I chose to move the pump and mount the new one horizontally, and used 2 of the Remco 25-174 pulsation dampening hoses with right-angle fittings to connect to the existing plumbing. Whole installation, including removal of the Shurflo-flo and installation of the AquaJet took a little over an hour. 

The DW and I are very pleased with the results!

I installed the same pump back in 2010 and it has worked great.  I checked the specs, on at 60 psi and off at 75 psi.   Only time I use a pressure regulator is when pressures are really high.  Pex plumbing/fittings if installed correctly will withstand pretty high pressures.  No doubt if someone installed this pump in a lessor quality RV they may have problems. 

The PO of my coach modified this compartment and installed the pump up high on the side so drawers could be installed.  To accomplish this they used pieces of the heavy braided flexible hoses.  This make is easy to drain the pump while winterizing and also check the inlet screen.  Make is quieter also.

Ok so the higher pressure sounds good however i have a couple questions. Every rv i have had or used had predomitly low pressure, in the long run it meant it gave you time to do what you were doing, dishes, shower… by adding the increase in flow an pressure do you find ya use more water than normaly?

If lets say i was uncomfortable with 75/85 psi can the pressure be changed to a lower psi an still have the high flow?

Thanks for all the input👍

On city water I always have a regulator at 60 PSI, so I don’t notice any difference.  Water flow at sinks and shower in most of our coaches build since the early 2000’s are *typically* controlled by flow restriction devices. Tub faucets and toilets would be the exception. I would say I don’t notice any difference in our water useage… if anything we might use a little less when using the pump… not because of pressure, but I think we’re just more conscious of water use?  🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

Rik,

No more water than the usual.

The shut-off pressure for the Aqua-Jet is 75-85. You are getting that confused with the delivery pressure which is much lower. Think about it, If the delivery pressure was the same as the shut-off pressure then you wouldn't have any water at all.

I have my water pump switch on ALL the time, 24/7/365 even when hooked to shore water. If/when the shore water pressure reduces to an intolerable level the water pump kicks in and ensures that we have good constant pressure ALL the time. This summer the Totem Pole Park water system was turned off a few times and I didn't even realize it until I heard my water pump coming on whenever we drew water. Usually I would only hear it on rare occasions.

I use a Remco 55Aquajet-ARV with a 2 gallon accumulator tank.  The pump is on 24/7, I never use the park pressure so the flow never changes.  The accumulator tank allows quite a bit of water usage between pump cycles although it could be argued that it defeats the purpose of a variable speed pump.  The coach was factory equipped with an accumulator tank.

6 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

With all due respect, but the information you posted is bogus about the Remco 55 AquaJet ARV putting out "well over 120 psi".

Those pumps are set to shut off at 75-85 psi which is no wheres near 120 PSI.

In fact my coach came from the factory with the Aqua-Jet and has never had anything else. Plus it has never caused anything close to what you are claiming - "burst pipes/joints all over their units causing some serious damage".

The PEX pipes and joints in my coach are rated for 100 psi and have never ever leaked or busted due to too much pressure. When using shore water I always run a pressure regulator set to 55 psi. This is the one I use - https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/263a-lf-regulator-stainless

Amazon reviews are to be treated with a "grain of salt" as there are people who have TOO much time on their hands and all they do is post bogus negative reviews.

Good to know. I have no idea why people would do that. There's at least 4 of them in there mentioning the pump going way over pressure (pressure switch failing) and the owner having to do some expensive/extensive in-wall repairs. I'm not claiming it, just mentioning what I saw owners reporting. I look for trends in reviews before buying anything new. I've found that quality control can also change over time as companies try to save $$. If a person want to be certain, put a pressure regulator on the outlet of the pump. 

1 hour ago, Bob Jones said:

Good to know. I have no idea why people would do that. There's at least 4 of them in there mentioning the pump going way over pressure (pressure switch failing) and the owner having to do some expensive/extensive in-wall repairs. I'm not claiming it, just mentioning what I saw owners reporting. I look for trends in reviews before buying anything new. I've found that quality control can also change over time as companies try to save $$. If a person want to be certain, put a pressure regulator on the outlet of the pump. 

I guess it's possible that the internal pressure switch could fail but it's never happen to me and I have owned 4 of them. Normally what fails is the motor.

The first original pump was removed and packed away as a backup when I installed a new one before making our first trip to Alaska. The second one was accidentally flooded with coolant when the Motor-Aide Coolant Loop hose on the Aqua-Hot burst and flooded the compartment where the pump is located on the floor. The third pump had a motor failure so I am on my fourth.

4 hours ago, Rikadoo said:

Hey guys one more thing, are you using a accumulator tank, many mixed reviews, i was gonna call there hotline, however personel declarations mean much more to me.

My coach never came with an accumulator and there is no room to install one conveniently so it is what it is.

Frankly, in my opinion all it does is delay the operation of the water pump and it's just one more thing that takes maintenance or replacement.