Changing out Norcold to Fisher Paykel residential

I have a question for those of you that know about these things. I have a Xantrex model RV2012 Inverter made in 2004 can I use this with the Fisher Paykel refrigerator?

I have decided on the FP because of the limitations associated with heater beneath the refrigerator, purchased model RF170ADUSX4.

Thanks

Tim

2004 Monaco Dynasty

4569EFC1-3050-4DEB-BA2E-6B14E72D296D.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Tim,

You have made an excellent choice!

If I had not installed the early version of the Samsung RF-197 fridge back in 2012 my second choice would have been a Fisher-Paykel model.

The FP fridges play well with a MSW Inverter so no worries.

Enjoy your new fridge!

Tim, I think your question should be whether or not the FP can be used with a modified sine inverter, which I think you have. Maybe the info is in the manual or might require a call to FP to ask that question. 

Several owners on this site have used the FP with happy results, so maybe the users can come in to answer the question.

I opted for a Samsung and it could be run on MS inverters, but I add a separate pure sine 1200 to handle the fridge.  It has a automatic transfer switch to go between shore power/ generator and batteries if not on a AC source. This was a much less expensive option than changing out the existing inverter.

4 hours ago, Tim.dougherty@comcast.net said:

I have a question for those of you that know about these things. I have a Xantrex model RV2012 Inverter made in 2004 can I use this with the Fisher Paykel refrigerator?

I have decided on the FP because of the limitations associated with heater beneath the refrigerator, purchased model RF170ADUSX4.

Thanks

Tim

2004 Monaco Dynasty

4 hours ago, Tim.dougherty@comcast.net said:

Thanks

Tim

2004 Monaco Dynasty

EXcellent choice.

On 10/24/2021 at 11:36 PM, David White said:

Tim, I think your question should be whether or not the FP can be used with a modified sine inverter, which I think you have. Maybe the info is in the manual or might require a call to FP to ask that question. 

Several owners on this site have used the FP with happy results, so maybe the users can come in to answer the question.

I opted for a Samsung and it could be run on MS inverters, but I add a separate pure sine 1200 to handle the fridge.  It has a automatic transfer switch to go between shore power/ generator and batteries if not on a AC source. This was a much less expensive option than changing out the existing inverter.

Could I ask what make of inverter you purchased please?

1 hour ago, hitechpete said:

Could I ask what make of inverter you purchased please?

The one I used was Power Bright, but was very similar to this AIMS unit:

image.thumb.png.bd16e2ec8c3d4d304872453352d444c5.png

I installed a Samsung RF18, which is taller then the Fisher Paykal,  I had to remove the existing platform and drop the furnace to the floor to gain enough height.  Instead of installing a new platform I used conduit strut material and brackets from Lowes and made two separate stands the aligned with the rollers under the refrigerator,  I have ~1/2" from the top of the furnace to the fridge, I did not have to trim any of the upper portion of the cabinet.  Here's a post I did on IRV2.com https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/samsung-install-finally-done-461001.html

Finally got to give the new fridge a good test on a trip this summer, worked will with my Trace MSW inverter, battery consumption was low.  I could top the batteries off at night with the generator to ~90%, go to bed, and still have ~75% battery left if I was boon docking.  When I was in ND temps got to 105F and the Samsung performed flawlessly, even with the sun beating down on that side of the coacch.  I was running both AC's and my cabin temps were 85F, not fun but I survived. 

On the last leg of my trip I had a problem with the electrical system, the generator would not run while both inverter breakers in the subpanel were on.  I got by by driving to my last destinations, the generator would power the AC's and 120 volt outlet behind the fridge which I used to get by until I could home and fix my problem.  Turned out to be one of the inverted circuits showed a dead short in the wiring in the ceiling, I was able to reroute wiring to bypass the bad section and get all outlets in the bedroom and bath working.

When I lost use of the inverter/charger I decided to add a second inverter/charger as a backup.  Bill G had done something similar using the block heat circuit and recommended this inverter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E3V66ZE?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

I installed mine a little different, since I had the main service panel completely out of my bedroom cabinet it provided me access to fix the above problem but also modify the 120 volt refrigerator circuit for use with the inverter.  I installed a shelf for the inverter in the TV box in the bedroom, I had already installed a LED TV wihich open up the cabinet for storage.  I installed a shelf ~9" down from the ceiling (recommended clearance for inverter).  I then installed an outlet off the refrigerator circuit and added a extension cord & plug to the wire going to the outlet behind the refrigerator.  I then installed the inverter and used a power strip to plug into and a piece of extension cord to plug the inverter into the outlet I installed in the cabinet.   Behind the main service panel were a lug for #2 cable coming from passenger side electrical compartment, this provides power to the 12 volt fuse panel in the bedroom.  I used this lug and ran wires + & - for the inverter, I installed a battery disconnect to be able cut power to the inverter when not in use. 

So if I have if I want I can run the refrigerator from the new inverter simply by moving the plugs and can also used the new inverter/charger to augment the original inverter/charger.  If one or the other craps out I will not be stranded. 

This past summer I replaced my Norcold 1200 for a new Samsung in my 2005 HR Ambassador.  The furnace is under the frig and there was little/no excess headroom with the Norcold.  I took it to an RV shop that specializes in doing modifications.  They were able to lower the platform 5" without affecting the furnace.  All's good...glad I had it changed.  Much better frig and much more space.

PS...mine runs on MSW inverter just fine.

Screenshot_20211027-122630_Gallery.thumb.jpg.5d3a167723feb9825e8956657f37ed21.jpg

Edited by biloxi_dad

33 minutes ago, biloxi_dad said:

This past summer I replaced my Norcold 1200 for a new Samsung in my 2005 HR Ambassador.  The furnace is under the frig and there was little/no excess headroom with the Norcold.  I took it to an RV shop that specializes in doing modifications.  They were able to lower the platform 5" without affecting the furnace.  All's good...glad I had it changed.  Much better frig and much more space.

PS...mine runs on MSW inverter just fine.

5 inches?  Wow.  I have a drain line for the sink that runs over the top of the furnace, and your galley is in the same location as mine.  Any idea what they did with that drain line?

- bob

45 minutes ago, cbr046 said:

5 inches?  Wow.  I have a drain line for the sink that runs over the top of the furnace, and your galley is in the same location as mine.  Any idea what they did with that drain line?

- bob

The Samsung is not as deep as the Norcold, so they didn't need to touch the drain line...the platform and Samsung sits in front of that drain.

• Thanks 1

@biloxi_dadwho did your work?  If I remember right, you were looking around the MS, AL gulf coast?  Would you recommend them?  Thanks. 

Steve, if my memory serves me correctly he went to the shop where I had my Samsung fridge installed back in 2012.

It is called Billy Thibodeaux's RV in Scott LA

https://billyt.com/

They do a great job and very professional.

They are adamant about changing out the NotSoCold to a residential as many years ago they had a coach in for service and the fridge caught fire while at their shop.

https://billyt.com/residential-refrigerator-conversions/

Edited by Dr4Film
Added link to fridge conversion fire story
  • Thanks 1

$2400…I installed a 21 cuft Whirlpool ($450 scratch & dent) in my 04 Dynasty and it almost fit perfectly …1/2” to tall. Lowered the floor 3/4” and had to remove the driver’s window as it’s no counter depth. Created a separate batteries- 1000W inverter-100A charger-transfer switch to power it. Today they make it in a side by side for $1300.

4 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Steve, if my memory serves me correctly he went to the shop where I had my Samsung fridge installed back in 2012.

It is called Billy Thibodeaux's RV in Scott LA

https://billyt.com/

They do a great job and very professional.

They are adamant about changing out the NotSoCold to a residential as many years ago they had a coach in for service and the fridge caught fire while at their shop.

https://billyt.com/residential-refrigerator-conversions/

Great people at Billy's. 

• Thanks 1

@Steven P Richard (Dr4Film) is correct ...I had the work dont at Billy T's in Lafayette LA.  Very good people to work with and they did a good job in the timeframe promised.  Highly recommended.

10 hours ago, cbr046 said:

I don't want to know the cost . . . . . 😵

Actually, I do.  Looks like the F-P is $2400, but the cost for a shop to do all the modifications . . . .

- bob

Can vary greatly...call them for an estimate.  They'll need to ask questions and may need to see pics before they give you a price.

Edited by biloxi_dad
Misspelling correction
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Tim.dougherty@comcast.net said:

Job almost completed, still need to resize the heater vent cover. Not much room to spare at the end, I think in 2005 coaches gained 2” in height and another 2” in 2006 makes installation easier for those years.

752F8739-327B-4174-A483-552C332AA147.jpeg

40449E5D-E084-46F5-BEFE-568B7385F789.jpeg

E1A4F8E2-83DC-4854-9995-DAFB46354691.jpeg

You may want to get a Fridge Fixer
www.recubed.solutions  to keep the doors locked when necessary. 

On 10/25/2021 at 11:41 AM, Tim.dougherty@comcast.net said:

I'll have to drop down the platform on the bottom very close to the furnace and cut an inch off the top trim, but it will fit.

I went through the same process with my Whirlpool. Taller but narrower than the old Nevercold. 
Ed           
‘05 Ambassador 

9 hours ago, Tim.dougherty@comcast.net said:

Thanks Mike!  I think she will like the extra room.

Tim

2004 Monaco Dynasty

Out of habit I put remote temp monitor in both fridge and freezer of the Samsung I installed.  Even in +100F weather the temps in the fridge and freezer did not vary.  

I would have been throwing food away with the old Norcold.  

I am going on another extended trip and hopefully will be able to boon dock quite a bit.  Solar will not be as efficient this time of year.  I am going to play with turning the fridge off at night to see how the temps hold, since it will be cooler weather I don't anticipate a problem.