So far , so good

This is the first full weekend I've been able to work on my executive since I bought it a month ago. I knew the drive train was in really good shape with only 53k miles on it. After a few days of tinkering with the generator , she sprung to life and ran great. I was, and still a little concerned with the electrical part of the coach. I had my fingers crossed on the electrical system and the transfer switch since the cover was off of it when I bought it. After installing a new 50 amp outlet on the side of my house I  nervously connected the coach to it and she started humming. I watched the house batteries go from 12v to 11v and everything shutdown. No ac voltage at all. I scrolled through my panel and turned on everything. I started checking voltage and breakers. Still nothing......showed no ac input on the readout. I let it sit for a few hours and ate lunch. When I started back on it, I reset the main in the bedroom. I hear "crackling" ....you know that unnerving electrical sound when a bad connection is sparking or jumping across two points? After about 20 minutes....everything popped to life all of a sudden. I couldn't believe my luck.  Everything works. 
Heat pump ✔ 
Hot water ✔ 
Thermostat ✔ 
Invertor ✔ 
Transfer switch ✔ 
Heated floor!!! 
I'm a happy camper!

I want to leave it plugged in for the week while I'm gone to work but I'm worried about that main breaker in the bedroom. Haven't had any problems but it  just didn't sound good earlier .......hasn't done it since.

2 hours ago, Flyinhy said:

This is the first full weekend I've been able to work on my executive since I bought it a month ago. I knew the drive train was in really good shape with only 53k miles on it. After a few days of tinkering with the generator , she sprung to life and ran great. I was, and still a little concerned with the electrical part of the coach. I had my fingers crossed on the electrical system and the transfer switch since the cover was off of it when I bought it. After installing a new 50 amp outlet on the side of my house I  nervously connected the coach to it and she started humming. I watched the house batteries go from 12v to 11v and everything shutdown. No ac voltage at all. I scrolled through my panel and turned on everything. I started checking voltage and breakers. Still nothing......showed no ac input on the readout. I let it sit for a few hours and ate lunch. When I started back on it, I reset the main in the bedroom. I hear "crackling" ....you know that unnerving electrical sound when a bad connection is sparking or jumping across two points? After about 20 minutes....everything popped to life all of a sudden. I couldn't believe my luck.  Everything works. 
Heat pump ✔ 
Hot water ✔ 
Thermostat ✔ 
Invertor ✔ 
Transfer switch ✔ 
Heated floor!!! 
I'm a happy camper!

I want to leave it plugged in for the week while I'm gone to work but I'm worried about that main breaker in the bedroom. Haven't had any problems but it  just didn't sound good earlier .......hasn't done it since.

Congrats! The breakers are super easy to replace. When you take the surround off (after disconnecting all ac/dc) you can change the breaker if you want and tighten up all the leads. Look for any neutral (white) wires that have browning (burnt) ends. Will give you an idea if you have a short in a circuit. I’m no expert, but fought one of my GFIC circuits with a Loose neutral 

• Thanks 1

If it were me I would not trust the integrity of the electrical system after hearing sounds like you described. I especially would not leave the coach powered up with you gone away.

As suggested by the previous poster, I would open up the main power panel and inspect the wiring, check and re-torque all of the connections. I would also open up the transfer switch and do the same.

What brand of transfer switch do you have?

Also do you have a Progressive Industries EMS wired in-line prior to the transfer switch? If not then I would strongly suggest you invest in one.

4 minutes ago, pennzo said:

We had a Progressive Industries 50A portable box and used it each and every time we plugged in to any outlet. They are an invaluable resource to have.   Wouldn't use our Coach w/o it.  👍

Eddie,

Portable or a hard-wired one, both are excellent providing that they are the EMS versions and not just a "surge protector". The EMS versions will sever the power to your coach protecting it from any power conditions that could harm your coach.

Installed a Watch Dog in ours, and this week the house we are renting has a 30 amp receptacle and I wanted to keep the fridge running. The plug has power on the neutral and the Watch Dog wouldn’t wouldn’t connect. So it saved my coach from potential damage.

02BB6262-C9A2-498E-A474-80CE2629B27C.jpeg

6F85A0E6-A03C-46DF-8FF1-80B503D1B907.jpeg

• Like 2

Agree with Richard,

I would not feel comfortable until I found the source of the popping and cracking, definitely not normal and a recipe for disaster.   I would check every outlet and make sure you have power.  If you take the cover off the main and inverter panel you can do a visual on the wiring inside each panel, looking for burnt areas or chaffed wires.  It will be harder to see behind the panels you might look at buying a cheap phone inspection camera  https://www.ebay.com/itm/264797559966?hash=item3da72a1c9e:g:6ucAAOSwcLBfClPA 

I'd be checking behind the panels and any place else you can get to. 

Do you see any evidence of mice/rodents.  Partially chewed wires could have been arching.  They may not be touching now but once you start driving down the road the vibration/bouncing will bring them back together.

4 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

What brand of transfer switch do you have?

Esco.....I'm just assuming this was the replacement for the IOTA. Looks pretty new. The invertor was replaced 11/2017........20211023_112249.thumb.jpg.b9f80b0bbb8321436832e499d87cb4ed.jpg20211023_074500.thumb.jpg.471693e2efa41560dc6af441ea11b5b9.jpg20211023_074527.thumb.jpg.7689530e23352a9e5c5471f43b94bccd.jpg1635070569228.thumb.JPEG.5ab176cfbffbae417dd45308bc831d18.JPEG

44 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

Agree with Richard,

I would not feel comfortable until I found the source of the popping and cracking, definitely not normal and a recipe for disaster.   I would check every outlet and make sure you have power.  If you take the cover off the main and inverter panel you can do a visual on the wiring inside each panel, looking for burnt areas or chaffed wires.  It will be harder to see behind the panels you might look at buying a cheap phone inspection camera  https://www.ebay.com/itm/264797559966?hash=item3da72a1c9e:g:6ucAAOSwcLBfClPA 

Do you see any evidence of mice/rodents.  Partially chewed wires could have been arching.  They may not be touching now but once you start driving down the road the vibration/bouncing will bring them back 

Several outlets are missing and the one for the microwave is sketchy at best. Funny you say that about mice.......Alvin or one of the chipmunks had taken up residence in the rear bay where the water tanks are....but I haven't seen any damage. 

You can touch the body of each breaker to see if it's warm to the touch, which would be a loose or resistive connection inside the breaker.  Maybe flip off-on several times to see if it consistently turns back on.  Still, that crackling . . . . sketchy.  And critters?  😮  I watched a house burn beyond re-construction, had to get my buddy's mom out.  The only thing we could figure was squirrels in the attic chewing on wires.  Hate critters. 

- bob

3 hours ago, cbr046 said:

You can touch the body of each breaker to see if it's warm to the touch, which would be a loose or resistive connection inside the breaker.  Maybe flip off-on several times to see if it consistently turns back on.  Still, that crackling . . . . sketchy.  And critters?  😮  I watched a house burn beyond re-construction, had to get my buddy's mom out.  The only thing we could figure was squirrels in the attic chewing on wires.  Hate critters. 

- bob

So, what you're saying is......I need more than one fire extinguisher? 🔥 

6 hours ago, jacwjames said:

Agree with Richard,

Do you see any evidence of mice/rodents.  Partially chewed wires could have been arching.  They may not be touching now but once you start driving down the road the vibration/bouncing will bring them back together.

This is the Inspection Camera that I purchased from Amazon. It does an awesome job!

https://tinyurl.com/xwwt5m87

• Like 2

22 hours ago, JDCrow said:

Installed a Watch Dog in ours, and this week the house we are renting has a 30 amp receptacle and I wanted to keep the fridge running. The plug has power on the neutral and the Watch Dog wouldn’t wouldn’t connect. So it saved my coach from potential damage.

JD,

Those "30 amp" 220 amp receptacles have destroyed many electrical components and devices of owners across this country. Good thing your Watch Dog was watching over your coach.

What is the warranty that Hughes gives on this unit?

Is this Hughes Watch Dog field serviceable or does the entire unit have to be shipped back for service, repair or replacement?

16 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

This is the Inspection Camera that I purchased from Amazon. It does an awesome job!

https://tinyurl.com/xwwt5m87

I like that camera.  Have you gotten used to using it.  Likes, dislikes?  I've been thinking about getting one. 

2 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

JD,

Those "30 amp" 220 amp receptacles have destroyed many electrical components and devices of owners across this country. Good thing your Watch Dog was watching over your coach.

What is the warranty that Hughes gives on this unit?

Is this Hughes Watch Dog field serviceable or does the entire unit have to be shipped back for service, repair or replacement?

Yeah it’s the first time it went to red so was both surprised and relived.

From the horse’s mouth:

Warranty & Registration

For original purchasers within the continental United States, the Hughes Autoformer (HA) Voltage Boosters shall be free of manufacturing defects for a period of three years from date of purchase. The Power Watchdog Surge Protectors have a Limited Lifetime Warranty. The other ‘accessory’ items have a 1 year warranty.

In the rare case that a defect is discovered, all parts and labor costs will be covered by HA. Product must be returned to the factory at purchaser’s expense, along with check or money order for return freight (the current amount will be advised). HAF will repair or replace the product at its discretion if it finds it has failed in normal use due to a defect in materials or workmanship.

Operating the product under conditions other than those recommended or attempting to service or modify the product will render this warranty void.

HA shall not be liable for personal injury, incidental or consequential damages of any kind resulting from malfunctioning, defect, misuse, improper installation or alterations of the product.

This warranty gives you specific rights, and you may have other rights, which vary from state to state.

In order for your warranty to be valid, you must register your Hughes Autoformer Product. To register your product you will need the following information: model and serial number, and where it was purchased.

And it looks like you can replace the surge module yourself

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Hughes-Autoformers/HU38FR.html

• Like 1

On 10/26/2021 at 8:51 AM, Steven P said:

I like that camera.  Have you gotten used to using it.  Likes, dislikes?  I've been thinking about getting one. 

I haven't had the chance to use enough to form any negative opinions. To me it appears to be well worth the money. I like the size of the monitor, length of cable, it comes in a well built case and also includes a 32GB memory card. I like this one because it has it own screen/monitor so you don't have to mess with your phone.

Both models recommended on this thread from Amazon offer Free Returns so order both and keep whichever one you like better then return the other one.

Edited by Dr4Film
  • Thanks 2

Update.....I had a few hours last night to go home due to the weather. I did what you guys suggested and cut all power off at the main box in the bedroom. When I cut everything back on I heard the "crackling" again..... I shut it down then  took the main fusebox cover off and tried it again......sparks galore! The breakers are arching to the main strip. Several are discolored on the backside. I will be replacing all of the breakers and all of the original outlets. Who knows what could have happened if I would have left the coach plugged in all week.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

You were very lucky, surprise it didn't catch fire. 

Hope your able to find the same make/model box or compatible one. 

Good question, what is the other small 50 amp breaker for?

Man!!!! Lucky isn't the word for it.....Found the same box at home depot. 68 bucks....easy swap. 

The 50 amp single is for the floor heater.20211030_162118.thumb.jpg.a5c541901063c16bf19fd9e3f075bdad.jpg