Front end alignment

Guest Steven

Hello all,

Does anyone know who can do a  front end alignment on my 2004 Monaco 40DST? I am in Birmingham and every shop I spoke with said their computer machine does not have the spec's.

Thanks,

Steve.

The only easy adjustment is “toe in” on a solid front axle. On car tires I jack the tire up and mark a line on the tread as I spin the tire so I can measure the distance between… front and back. You want 1/8” in.

On truck tires, I find a raised rib or edge on the side of the tire near the tread and measure those distances. I like 3/16 toe in on that big of a tire. Two people can check this in 3 minutes.

See if there is a josamusa near enough to get to. They handle the big chassis like rvs. My rig is there now for air system work but I have had them do alignment and chassis integrity check - the shake test! 

• Like 1

The specs for my coach are in my manual.

When I bought our coach in 2008 the front tires had a bad wear pattern and a there was a vibration in the front end.  First thing I did was have new tires installed and then an alignment.  I called Buddy Gregg in Knoxville and asked them about an alignment and they gave me the name of the shop they uses, which was in Knoxville.  I took it there and they checked and confirmed a problem. Not sure if they had specs or just based in on the make/model of the axle.  They actually had to bend the front axle, I watched from the lounge they had.  Not sure exactly how much they had to do but after the the rig drove straight and true.  I put +50K miles on that set of tires and the tread still looked like new when I replace. 

Call a large RV dealer near you and ask for a recommendation. 

• Like 1

sounds like there is limited adjustment potential.  Why the alignment?  Hit something?  Is it pulling to one side?  Steering wheel off center?

If none of the above, a simple eyeball with a tape measure and string by someone experienced should confirm that all is likely good.

I need to have my drag link and steering shaft replaced because of knocking in steering column when going over bumps. The shop has diagnosed the problem. They do not have the spec's for allignment.

Thanks....

Hi Steven,

As someone mentioned, check the chassis section of your manual as I found the specs for mine there. I called the local Cummins Coach Care facility who gave me a referral to a shop they send their customers to for alignments. I lucked out and got a good shop but at a minimum I would expect them to have the resources to take care of your problem. 

Coach Care

2200 Old Pinson Highway
Birmingham, ALABAMA 35217
205 841-0421

Jerry

• Like 1

Steven,

The only place east of the Mississippi river that I would and do use is Josams Frame and Alignment in Orlando, FL., 407-438-7020, ask for Barry.

They have done the alignment on my coaches and replaced the drag link on the 2004 Endeavor that I had. Took about a week to get the drag link.

Bill B 07 Dynasty

Here is a link to you manual, I would down load this and go through it to learn what it covers.  I'll still pull mine out on a trip to refresh my memory.

https://www.monacocoach.com/resources/media/manuals/2004_Windsor.pdf

On page 438 it has the start of the front axle description.  and on page 441 it has the various specs for the left and right tire. 

• 2 years later...
On 10/25/2021 at 7:39 AM, Guest Steven said:

I need to have my drag link and steering shaft replaced because of knocking in steering column when going over bumps. The shop has diagnosed the problem. They do not have the spec's for allignment.

Thanks....

Hi All.

I have knocks etc and my tech suggests I need new bushings...........  hopefully you can see the pictures of the arms in the front... ot sure what they are called........ where might I get the rubber bushings?

2004 Safari Cheetah

IMG_6002.jpg

IMG_6003.jpg

https://sourcerv.com/

Jim or Scott are straight shooters.  YES, you might find them cheaper elsewhere...but they KNOW who made them and what fits.  If not...  Then call Henderson's.  

I would NOT let any "Over The Road" truck shop tell me that I had bad parts....  I don't know enough...but I know enough to ask.

Scott and Jim will give you the straight skinny.  Too many frame and alignment shops don't know diddly about MH's....and they sometimes fix things that weren't broke and break things that were OK in the process.

There is probably some info in the parts list...

Use the SEARCH and put in BUSHINGS.  NOW, if they are really ugly from salt or whatever, then yes... but just make sure that whoever does this knows it ain't no 18 Wheeler tractor front end...

Source may have some contacts with some shops in your area... I would trust them.  I had a shop in Sacramento do a "YOU NEED NEW KING PINS".  Talked to Josams...he had never had to do a major rebuild on a Roadmaster chassis under 100K.  SO...be careful...  YES  Rubber stuff wears out....but know what is needed.

Your vintage make/model coach did have a known issue with the Trailing arms, which are in the picture.  These were under recall but a lot of them never had it done due to the bankruptcy. 

Not 100% sure but it looks like you have the original version.  Check out Source Engineering for their upgrade kit.  Contact them with the above picture and they can confirm.  https://sourcerv.com/trailing_arm

This may solve your problem!!

Hi Folks, Tom,  This shop is known among rv'ers in this part of the world and owner had. coach like mine etc.

I'll contact Ji m or Scott.   I did search bushings, did not see what I was looking for.  Thanks all.

As sited numerous times in this tread: JoSam’s in Orlando. They are the most reliable, thorough, and attentive to any issues on the chassis overall. Birmingham to Orlando could be a short getaway trip. 

Edited by Raymond

@Les Hurdle What kind of knock?  Occasionally I hear a "knock" but pretty sure it's the LH fender panel catching the wind just right.  See if any of your panels are loose and have the DW flick or tap on it while you're inside.   

Much cheaper than bushings . . . .

- bob

Edited by cbr046
  • Like 1