Control Module for Dometic Sealand Toilet

redstickbill

Bill,

Call Paul Wittle at (678) 772-3847.

He was building a module . Let me know if he has them. He said at the gathering that he thought he could build some for $125. 
That would be a good spare part. 

Also have you tried resetting the board . Is the gate stuck open? Put both switches to  the left for 30 seconds I think and then return the right hand switch to the middle. Does it close ?

bill g 06 Dynasty

16 hours ago, Hotrod said:

Bill,

Call Paul Wittle at (678) 772-3847.

He was building a module . Let me know if he has them. He said at the gathering that he thought he could build some for $125. 
That would be a good spare part. 

Also have you tried resetting the board . Is the gate stuck open? Put both switches to  the left for 30 seconds I think and then return the right hand switch to the middle. Does it close ?

bill g 06 Dynasty

I have tried resetting the board, no luck there.  The gate was stuck open, there is a way to manually open and close the gate. I tried the switch positions with no luck there. the wall switch does nothing now, at first the "add water" function was working, that has also quit. I can jumper the motor and it will work.

I will give Paul Wittle a call.

Thanks everyone,

Bill B 07 Dynasty

9 hours ago, Mel S - '96 Safari said:

Bill B

What model Dometic Sealand toilet has/needs/uses a control module?

Mel,

The SeaLand 3300, 3400 All-Ceramic Toilet.  The 3300 Series has a flush handle, the 3400 Series has a remote flush switch.  In my coach the remote flush switch is mounted on the side of the sink cabinet.

Bill B 07 Dynasty

• 1 month later...

I am glad to see you are in operation again Bill.

Bill’s board was from the first run of prototype PCB’s and he got priority as they were without a working toilet.

This board is compatible with the two models of boards I have seen. One has two switches on the left hand side, and the other, later one has a switch on each side with an additional Manual Operation mode available by moving the right hand switch to the right position.

The board has an OLED display to show the status of the switches and the operational state of the flapper, motor, and water valve. This is easier to understand than the multiple LED’s on the original board. It supports the same functions, including three water levels, a Service mode to open the flapper for cleaning and lubing the seal, and a Manual Operation mode if you want to to try to manually operate the mechanism through the hole in the side of the porcelain.

Early Opus models had a metal arm and a flat head screw slot to manually open and close the flapper, Later models had a plastic arm with a flat screwdriver slot and a 7/16” hex head. I did not have much success with the plastic arm version and caused damage to the plastic arm which failed shortly after. I expect the metal one was more durable, but that it was tough to manually operate. I have also had reports of some Opus models that do not even have the hole in the porcelain.

The new controller board is housed in an enclosure for improved protection for the circuit board and its components. Additional circuitry has been included to protect against static and other noise and transient spikes. The software has safety code that will detect a blocked flapper, stop the motor to prevent damage, and set an error code with a text display on the display. Once you clear the blockage, you can put the controller into Service Mode to clear the error, then put it back in Normal mode and retry the operation.

The project turned into substantially more work and costs than I had anticipated and hoped for. Unfortunately I will not be able to offer them at the target $125 price that I shared with Bill Groves at the Gathering in February.

For others that would like to purchase a replacement control board, I will have some more built up in the next couple weeks. The next revision has an improved placement of the 3 position  connector for the flush/fill switch so that it is in the original position. The enclosure will also have the switch operations printed on it.

I am in discussions with a well regarded RV retailer who would offer them for sale as I get them completed. However I will be offering a friends and family discount to fellow members of this Monacoers forum if you PM me through the board here. This discount will not be available through any other forum and is in recognition and appreciation of all the help and support that is given on this forum.

If you are buying one as a spare, I recommend you take out your working controller and install the new controller so you can make sure it works. You will be able to safely store your original working controller as a spare in the anti static bag and shipping box that the new controller will arrive in.

On our Opus I found the 8 position cable to the mechanism was pretty short and it made getting to the screws holding the cable connector to the board somewhat of a challenge without removing the toilet. I will  have some extension cables available to make future swap outs easy. You can check to see on yours how easy it is to maneuver the board and  get a 1/8” flat screwdriver on the screws retaining the connector to the board. If it is not easy, I recommend also ordering the extension cable.

I look forward to any feedback on the installation or operation of the board for future improvements.

Paul

Edited by pwhittle
  • Like 2

Great job on resurrecting a control board for the Magnum Opus toilets. Nice work and compact too!

I have one of those porcelain bowls with no access hole. Of the few times the flapper had gone into a fault mode I was able to get it working once again by fiddling with the switches. Early last year the flapper faulted once again but this time I had to remove the porcelain base to access the micro-switches which control the travel limits and got them to reset back to their normal operation. No problems since.

I have been carrying a spare control board on our travels "just in case"since initially we were Full-Time RVer's. However, if I ever have the need to purchase one I will contact you directly.

Kudos on your persistence and achievement!

• 3 weeks later...

I received a new control module for my OPUS toilet from Paul Wittle this past weekend. It is an excellent replacement for the original module. All functions performed perfectly. The module is a direct replacement for the original. All wiring connections were identical and located in the same location as the original. Paul also provided a short cable to extend the original connecting cable carrying the limit switches and water control wiring. Thi required connectors were included on the cable. This is an excellent replacement if you are having trouble with your control board. Paul’s contact information is included within this thread. If you have any questions about this Module please contact me.

rraffety@hotmail .com

• Like 2

I just wanted to weigh in and say that I received my Control Board from Paul this afternoon.. I installed it and along with the cable, it was a very easy installation.. The Board works great.   I couldn’t be happier as I have felt that I was on borrowed time with the old Board. 
I would recommend anyone that has the Opus to contact Paul for this replacement...   

Mike

2005 Dynasty w/ 2019 Wrangler

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My new control board for the Magnum Opus toilet came today from Paul Whittle.

I put it in and it works like a charm. Couldn’t be easier. 

I also hung the old board in the tank to the left of the new one so I know right where it is should it ever be needed.  It had hung open a few times in the last few months . Could be a relay going out on it, TBD. Now it’s a good enough spare. 

This is one of those parts their here to for was not available . Thanks Paul.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback Bill (and others).

Your old controller will also store in the anti static bag and box that the new controller ships to you in.

I have completed some controllers that are ready to ship if anyone needs/wants one.

They are now available through NW RV Supply.  

http://www.nwrvsupply.com/product/385310887AM.html

Message me through this forum only for special pricing.

Paul

Edited by pwhittle

I also wanted to tell everyone that I installed Paul's module today and it was an easy replacement and it works fantastic.  It is a quality product that works flawlessly and want to thank him for doing this for all of us who want to stay with our Sealand toilets.  He has resurrected them.  The additional extension he included made it a piece of cake, although on our coach the power source wire is just as short and that connection was the only challenging issue.  Thanks again Paul for providing us with a welcome and professional product!

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback Bill.

I have some more connectors on order to be able to make extensions for all the wires if you need them.

Did anyone else have a similar issue?

Paul

Edited by pwhittle

Paul,

I had a similar challenge with the wire next to the big connector. Had to screw with driver pointed up worried about dropping it  although it probably would have ended up on the floor. 

Perhaps rather than the extension, which is expensive, if you could find a small jewelers screw driver with a ring on the end for your index finger that would prevent you from dropping it and you could hold it pointed up at the connector and turn with your thumb and middle finger.  Such a tool would probably be cheap if you can find it and just include it. 

Bill G

Guest Cruzbill

I have an Aladdin Tank module that needs repair. Paul, do you need another orphan project? Nice work on the Sealand board, I may need to have a spare on hand, mine's working fine now.....

2 hours ago, Hotrod said:

Paul,

I had a similar challenge with the wire next to the big connector. Had to screw with driver pointed up worried about dropping it  although it probably would have ended up on the floor. 

Perhaps rather than the extension, which is expensive, if you could find a small jewelers screw driver with a ring on the end for your index finger that would prevent you from dropping it and you could hold it pointed up at the connector and turn with your thumb and middle finger.  Such a tool would probably be cheap if you can find it and just include it. 

Bill G

I also have some small screwdrivers in order to add to the kit. Plastic handle so easy to drill if you want.

Paul

1 hour ago, Cruzbill said:

I have an Aladdin Tank module that needs repair. Paul, do you need another orphan project? Nice work on the Sealand board, I may need to have a spare on hand, mine's working fine now.....

Not really. For the time I have in this one I could have bought everyone new toilets. 🙂

I see there are a couple on eBay with a new one is listed for $200.

Paul

4 hours ago, Mike H said:

Apparently Northwest RV Supply has quite a mark up on then at $359.  Are they still available through Paul for the $125 ?

Replacement Toilet Control Board.png

Hi Mike,

The $125 was a speculative target price suggested a long time before I understood the cost and effort to get these ready for sale.  I do offer a special Monacoers only price if you PM me through this forum for two reasons: To reward all the help and support given in this forum, and because it is a members only forum so this is not available to everyone.

NW RV Supply has all manner of overhead to run their business and I do not begrudge them making money on the things they sell. They offer a tremendous service to us RV’ers and that is how they stay in business.

I do request that the Monacoers special price is not disclosed on this forum or elsewhere out of respect for NW RV Supply and their business.

Paul

5 hours ago, pwhittle said:

Hi Mike,

The $125 was a speculative target price suggested a long time before I understood the cost and effort to get these ready for sale.  I do offer a special Monacoers only price if you PM me through this forum for two reasons: To reward all the help and support given in this forum, and because it is a members only forum so this is not available to everyone.

NW RV Supply has all manner of overhead to run their business and I do not begrudge them making money on the things they sell. They offer a tremendous service to us RV’ers and that is how they stay in business.

I do request that the Monacoers special price is not disclosed on this forum or elsewhere out of respect for NW RV Supply and their business.

Paul

Thanks Paul.  I'm thinking about maybe getting one for a spare.  I don't know what I would do if ours died 3,000 miles from home.  I'll see if I can figure out how to PM you.

I installed the new control module and it is working great.

Disconnecting the original was a bit of a challenge, I was able to drop the module out the bottom of the compartment which made access to the connectors a little easier.  The extension cable worked great; I was able to gain a little length on the other two cables by untangling them from the other wiring prior to reconnecting.

A small jeweler’s type screw driver helped.

We were on our second OEM control board, the original locked out (and would not reset) after trying to use the Service Mode, the second (NOS installed five years ago) had intermittent issues with the Service Mode.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

Got a call this week from someone with a Tiffin with a Dometic 3300 toilet that wouldn’t operate correctly.

I looked up the specs and it has a simplified control board without water level control and different connectors.

I felt that my controller was going to be compatible and sent them a controller with some additional connectors so they could cut off the old ones and install the ones I sent them.

Today they installed it and it works, and they even have water level control now.

This is the old non-working controller.

43449BB0-2B09-4CD2-97B3-83408994E0EF.thumb.jpeg.453111d2dccb5b7983ad5a137b2cd7f9.jpeg4E44ACC6-A815-4A18-9C89-03AD5D416657.thumb.jpeg.3f4744ef39428759b7df702bef054c82.jpeg

Paul

Edited by pwhittle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1