Question: Cummins (8.3) Chassis Battery Trickle Charger Recommendation

Bjohnsonmn

Hi Brad,

I use the Battery Minder.  I have 4 flooded lead interstate batteries in series and parallel at 420 amp-hour each.  Been on for 6 months with no issue.

I paid $169 which seems a little pricy, but got my recommendation on this forum.  Haven't been disapointed.

Amazon.com: BatteryMINDer 244CEC1: 24 Volt- 1/2/4 AMP Battery Charger, Battery Maintainer, and Battery Desulfator - Designed for Trucks, Boats, RV, Generators : Automotive

• Scotty Hutto changed the title to Question: Cummins (8.3) Chassis Battery Trickle Charger Recommendation

If you have solar, and want to maintain your chassis battery when only solar is available, I suggest you look into the Amp-L-Start which will allow charging from a charged house battery to a chassis battery.  Most solar only charges the house batteries, so this will allow maintaining the chassis when dry camping, or under shore power.  

The Battery Minder type products require 110-volt AC to work.  This is fine if you have shore power, but doesn't help when dry camping and using solar.

-Rick N.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was having problems with my system which included the BIRD, Isolation Relay, and Lambert 415 maintainer.  I was becoming skeptical of whether the Lambert was working. 

So I bit the bullet and installed the Bluesea ML-ACR which eliminated all of the above.  So as long as my inverter is working I know the chassis batteries are staying charged.   The lighted switch on the dash tells me the Bluesea is working as it should.  If I want I can disconnect it with the switch. 

Edited by jacwjames

1 hour ago, jacwjames said:

So as long as my inverter is working I know the chassis batteries are staying charged. 

Are you literally meaning that you are using the power from the house batteries to run the 120v inverter, which in turn is used to charge the chassis battery?

Or do you mean that your "converter/charger" is taking power from 120v shore or genny and using that to charge the chassis battery?

1 hour ago, RoadTripper2084 said:

Are you literally meaning that you are using the power from the house batteries to run the 120v inverter, which in turn is used to charge the chassis battery?

Or do you mean that your "converter/charger" is taking power from 120v shore or genny and using that to charge the chassis battery?

I suspect what he means is if the inverter's battery charger is working, the house batteries are being charged, and the chassis batteries through the ML-ARC.

44 minutes ago, waterskier_1 said:

I suspect what he means is if the inverter's battery charger is working, the house batteries are being charged, and the chassis batteries through the ML-ARC.

Yes, this is what I mean.  If I am plugged in to shore power and I see my inverter is charging the house batteries I know the Bluesea ML-ACR is combining the battery banks and the chassis batter charges. 

On the other end of the spectrum, I know that while I'm driving my house batteries are being charged. 

• Like 1

I installed a Victron 12/12-18 DC-DC charger because I have Lithium batteries in the house and the Magnum Smart Battery combiner was not configurable enough to keep my starting batteries up without subjecting them to excessive charge voltage. The Victron can be easily configured to match your particular charge requirements and their app is pretty good. I paid $164 for it on Amazon for the Isolated version.