Good morning, I have a 2004 H/R Neptune 36PDQ.  Bought a Scangauge D and hooked it up to the 6 pin connector by the steering column. After setting it up, I could only get a voltage reading. No other information.  I connected it to the 9 pin connector at the rear engine access and I can get all of the other parameters.  Has anyone had this issue before and where would be a good place to start trouble shooting? Thanks Rich 

I installed one on my 2001 HR Ambassador and had the same problem. I found the 9 pin connection in the engine bay was full of dirt,grease etc. I took it apart and cleaned with contact spray and them the 6 pin at the steering works fine. I think you will find that the 6 pin will not give you are the info on the scan d. I found that the mh computer doesn't send that info out. I installed a separate trans temp and fuel pressure gauges and probles to get that info. Couldn't get in on scan d. Hope this helps. 

1 hour ago, Ivan K said:

Are you certain that you plug it into the correct connector up front? I have an ABS connector beside it that is exactly the same 6 pin type.

Screenshot_20220510-105645_Office.jpg

Thanks Ivan, I will look again ynder the dash and see if there is a secondary connector that I missed...will update this afternoon. 

1 hour ago, Mike in Va said:

I installed one on my 2001 HR Ambassador and had the same problem. I found the 9 pin connection in the engine bay was full of dirt,grease etc. I took it apart and cleaned with contact spray and them the 6 pin at the steering works fine. I think you will find that the 6 pin will not give you are the info on the scan d. I found that the mh computer doesn't send that info out. I installed a separate trans temp and fuel pressure gauges and probles to get that info. Couldn't get in on scan d. Hope this helps. 

Thanks Mike, I will look at the connectors and verify cleanliness. I know the dash connector has grease on it, I will have to get some contact cleaner and see what I can resolve. 

1 hour ago, Ivan K said:

Are you certain that you plug it into the correct connector up front? I have an ABS connector beside it that is exactly the same 6 pin type.

Screenshot_20220510-105645_Office.jpg

I was looking at the Bluefire set up, even bought a tablet for the set up and then decided to get the Scangauge D...hopefully I will resolve the issue...

Well dang it!...My rig only has one connector under the column area and it is labeled "Engine Diagnostic". It does have grease smeared in it. I will have to clean it up and see if that helps me get more signals than voltage.

Rick the dirty connector I found was in the engine compartment area. I THINK this is where the wires from the engine and trans comes together and sents info to the front of the MH. If you can find the connection you can plug the scan d there and see what info you can get there. 

6 hours ago, Tim-AZ said:

My Scanngage D does get everything from the engine plug under the dash.

Tim

Is scanguage d using J1939 (CAN bus) or J1708?    It sounds like your rear connector like mine has CAN J1939 and your front one is just J1708.   2004 may not have CAN though.

So now I'm going backwards. My front only gave voltage and the back use to work. Now both nada.... I'll look into my more tomorrow see if I can help

59 minutes ago, granvillebarker said:

Is scanguage d using J1939 (CAN bus) or J1708?    It sounds like your rear connector like mine has CAN J1939 and your front one is just J1708.   2004 may not have CAN though.

Yes, the back plug is a 9 pin J1939 and the front is a 6 pin J1708. The Scangauge has three settings, one each for the 1708, 1939 plugs and the 3rd pulls up as "both", I tried to set it to the 1708 up front and it defaults to the both setting. 

1 hour ago, Romeo84 said:

So now I'm going backwards. My front only gave voltage and the back use to work. Now both nada.... I'll look into my more tomorrow see if I can help

That doesn't sound good!

Rick the dirty connector I found was in the engine compartment area. I THINK this is where the wires from the engine and trans comes together and sents info to the front of the MH. If you can find the connection you can plug the scan d there and see what info you can get there. 

I plugged into the rear connector and it picked up everything...

1 hour ago, granvillebarker said:

Mine is the older J1708, 6 pin rear and front and works fine.

• Like 1

Sounds like you may have a problem with the wiring harness from the back connector  to the front connector at the steering wheel. Again make sure you clean up inside each connector hole at the back connector.  I used a small copper brush along with contact cleaner up inside each hole to get all of the dirt out. Hood luck and let us know what you find. 

Well, thanks for everyone's input. I only have one (that Ihave found) connector under the dash. It is a 6 pin engine diagnostic connector.  For whatever reason someone had greased it up. I cleaned the grease out of it. Hooked up the Scangauge D again..at first I only had the voltage reading as before.  I fiddled around with the different "gauge" settings and it finally picked up the other parameters...so it appears to be working...in the driveway anyway. 😀

Rick if u contact the manufacturer they may be able to help you receive other information that you currently can't get. They were really good helping me out. Good luck. 

Thanks Mike, it appears to be working fine now.