New Toys - Surround Sound

Spent a little time (and money) upgrading my surround sound system. I previously installed a Bose sound bar so we could hear the TV, but it’s no longer necessary and I can move it to the bedroom. 

Replaced my old HUGE Pioneer receiver with a compact Marantz N1506 5.1 surround sound receiver. (thanks @pwhittle for the recommendation!)

47FAA7A6-204A-483C-8E42-13919ED1FA27.thumb.jpeg.907f09b1d80669c20a624cfc558c8508.jpeg

Replaced all of the ceiling mounted El-cheapo speakers with Klipsch ceiling mounted speakers. (Thanks @Dae Sungfor the inspiration for the Klipsch system when I heard yours at your house)
4647A839-CF34-4188-8ACA-EEF79EAA7989.thumb.jpeg.4db221e175be8065090ce798e96d895a.jpeg

A91C6A65-62B5-4383-9772-AE16613F11A4.thumb.jpeg.dd6c2b5ab35a1482ab42ebf4b8f78bd4.jpeg

Added a Fosi subwoofer amp so I could continue to use the hidden subwoofer (haven’t found a powered, wireless subwoofer that will fit in the space… yet)

4D202831-47B2-4839-A70A-821E070BFE21.thumb.jpeg.3cc86ef34a9486d08324a87d0af15ff0.jpeg

I can now hear my TV in glorious, high fidelity 5.1 surround sound. If only my hearing was as good as my surround system. 🤣

Next, to move the Bose to the bedroom…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On my 2005 Diplomat, there are two separate sets of speakers - the entertainment system drives a pair of fronts, center, subwoofer in cabinet and a pair of rears (unknown brand). The dash mounted radio drives all Sony speakers: two pair of fronts in the main cabin and pair of rears in the bedroom. 

Does your have the same arrangement?

What model of Klipsch did you use and did you replace all?

34 minutes ago, J Goddard said:

On my 2005 Diplomat, there are two separate sets of speakers - the entertainment system drives a pair of fronts, center, subwoofer in cabinet and a pair of rears (unknown brand). The dash mounted radio drives all Sony speakers: two pair of fronts in the main cabin and pair of rears in the bedroom. 

Does your have the same arrangement?

What model of Klipsch did you use and did you replace all?

Yes, same setup. I replaced my Magnadyne head end unit with a Pioneer double DIN unit, and all four speakers with JBL (you can see the rear speakers - black - in one of the pic ps above). My coach had all Magnadyne speakers instead of Sony for the dash radio. (Separate post in the “upgrades” section on that). I disconnected the bedroom speakers as they were more of an annoyance than anything. 

The only thing I kept from the original setup is the Sony unpowered subwoofer. I’ve looked far and wide for a better quality wireless powered subwoofer, but have found anything that will fit in the cabinet under the dining table… yet.

I ended up using Klipsch R-1650-C speakers. I originally purchased CDT-3650-C II speakers, but did not have enough clearance between the ceiling and the roof.  I replaced all five ceiling mounted surround sound speakers.  

The improvement in sound quality is amazing, even if I didn’t get to use the better speakers I originally purchased. 

I miss my surround sound. It no longer works on the tv after I replaced the old Sharp with a new smart Samsung. I tried several times to get it to work without success. I still have the Sony OEM sound system. I think I’ll upgrade the whole thing, receiver and speakers as you guys have done. 

I kept my Magnadyne dash radio primarily because we seldom used it. However I found while driving I could hear the radio very well, with the speakers just overhead. As others have mentioned, I too am hearing impaired. Of course the reception was extremely poor. I finally got on the roof this Spring and opened up the rubber whip radio antenna. I found it wasn’t even connected. I connected it properly and now my reception is greatly improved. I think I’ll upgrade the radio speakers upfront to improve sound quality. 

My first experience into 5.1 audio was a Polk RM6500 home theater system purchased back in 2000. Fortunately, I hung onto that equipment after a subsequent upgrade. So when I purchased our coach years later, I replaced old Sony subwoofer and replaced it with the Polk. Fits perfectly in the cabinet. 

• Like 1

I have two surround sound systems. Reciever, Sub bass and 5 mini speakers .. including center fill. Amazing sound. I had them in my home. I want to keep one for the Windsor. If you're interested I'll hold onto the other one for you.

• 4 months later...
On 5/15/2022 at 7:39 PM, Scotty Hutto said:

I ended up using Klipsch R-1650-C speakers. I originally purchased CDT-3650-C II speakers, but did not have enough clearance between the ceiling and the roof.  I replaced all five ceiling mounted surround sound speakers.  

The improvement in sound quality is amazing, even if I didn’t get to use the better speakers I originally purchased. 

Did you have to cut larger holes to fit these speakers in the ceiling?  From the specs I am seeing, it looks like that would be required.

1 hour ago, olywrestle said:

Did you have to cut larger holes to fit these speakers in the ceiling?  From the specs I am seeing, it looks like that would be required.

Yes.  I used the template provided with the speakers and a jigsaw.  I used blue painter's tape and a pin to mark the hole.  The blue painters tape also help to prevent tearing the vinyl ceiling panel.  The luan plywood is pretty thin in parts (mine had it reinforced at a couple of spots), so if you do that, go slow!!  Oh, and voice of experience... put down a sheet of plastic to catch the Styrofoam snow...  otherwise you can vacuum it up afterwards 🤣