2011 Camelot--ride height and pressure protection valve part numbers

I see quite a bit of info in the parts list, but little info as to which part number fits which coach.  Need ride height and PPV part numbers.  2011 Camelot 43.  Air leveling only.  Tag axle.  Won't be able to crawl under coach until much later today.  Need to get parts ordered.  Thanks!

Van,

I’ve searched both the old (Yahoo) forum and this one and can’t find anything newer that ‘09. The only places I’m aware that would have the correct ride heights are Josam’s and Source Engineering.  (I’m sure there are others, just not that I know of!)

If we can locate a copy (even paper) I’ll scan it and get Frank to add it to the files. 

Guest Ray Davis
26 minutes ago, Scotty Hutto said:

I’ve searched both the old (Yahoo) forum and this

Scotty, How does one go about searching the old files?  Is it something I can do ?

For give me for hi jacking for one tiny moment.   

Unless Monaco....AKA the NEW owners Navistar, did something funky....they carried over everything.  NO upgrades unless there was a supplier that made something special and was belly up.

I THINK....and I should have recorded it...that the ride height is 8 13-16....which was for the 2006 and on UP. I did call Barry at Josams and he confirmed it. I also called REV and that is the only number that the support person could pull up. My front was off the worst....naturally. I would check the rears.  If it is close to 8 13/16....then go with it. 

I was also told that you could RAISE all corners on a pad, like you shed....measure the total top end.  Then drop down or deflate until it bottomed and then measure and take the midpoint of the top and bottom and that was what it was set for. Again....not gospel.  Whatever the REARS are...That is probably the closest...

As to the PPV, assuming that is the Pressure Relief Valve....no IDEA. I had one replaced.  I had all sorts of "this is it", but it came down to what brand and what threads and what pressure. The OTR shop said that that unless it was the wrong valve, unfortunately, the easiest was to pull the sucker and get an exact replacement...

Good Luck....stay hydrated...with WATER...

2 hours ago, Scotty Hutto said:

Van,

I’ve searched both the old (Yahoo) forum and this one and can’t find anything newer that ‘09. The only places I’m aware that would have the correct ride heights are Josam’s and Source Engineering.  (I’m sure there are others, just not that I know of!)

If we can locate a copy (even paper) I’ll scan it and get Frank to add it to the files. 

There are 4 service centers in the USA I have had success with, who specialize in Monaco/HR/Beaver coaches - Elite Renovation & Repair in Oregon, Executive Motor Coach in Vegas, Iron Horse RV in San Antonio, and Elkhart Sales & Service in Indiana. Give them a call.
I would bet one of these entities have that information. 

2 hours ago, Scotty Hutto said:

Van,

Thanks, Scotty.  But what I really want it part numbers for the ride height valves and PPV's.  I guess I'll have to crawl under the coach...as the years roll on, this procedure is becoming less and less attractive!  😁  Thanks for taking time to respond.

4 minutes ago, vanwill52 said:

Thanks, Scotty.  But what I really want it part numbers for the ride height valves and PPV's.  I guess I'll have to crawl under the coach...as the years roll on, this procedure is becoming less and less attractive!  😁  Thanks for taking time to respond.

Don’t you have that Magic Creeper mat thingy that makes it really easy to get under the coach?🤣

Guest Ray Davis

An elect creeper would be nice and with an elect head rest.  My neck really gets tired.  It's age not a big brain.

Van, I dont think I saw any numbers on my ride height or PPV valves.  They seemed to be standard items available anywhere.  The only problem I ran into was one of my PPV valves had all of the holes threaded and most had places for threads but wasn't drilled deep enough or threaded.  Other than that, they do vary a little in the pressure setting. Most of the seemed to be about 60 PSI.

For those that wonder what a PPV is, it's a pressure protection valve.   It's job is, if you develop a big enough leak that the compressor can't keep up, it's job is to stop all air at approx 60 PSI from going to anything other than the brake system.

George Westinghouse invented air brakes for trains shortly after the civil war.  We still use pretty much the same system.  Genius,  he also bank rolled Tesla another genius for quite a while after Edison screwed him over.   Tesla the man not the car.  LOL  Before air brakes men had to run along the top of the cars setting the brakes, we have seen that in movies.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westinghouse_Air_Brake_Company

Trivia--  WABCO  aka  Westinghouse Air Brake Company.

5 hours ago, Scotty Hutto said:

Don’t you have that Magic Creeper mat thingy that makes it really easy to get under the coach?🤣

3 hours ago, Ray Davis said:

An elect creeper would be nice and with an elect head rest.  My neck really gets tired.  It's age not a big brain.

Van, I dont think I saw any numbers on my ride height or PPV valves.  They seemed to be standard items available anywhere.  The only problem I ran into was one of my PPV valves had all of the holes threaded and most had places for threads but wasn't drilled deep enough or threaded.  Other than that, they do vary a little in the pressure setting. Most of the seemed to be about 60 PSI.

For those that wonder what a PPV is, it's a pressure protection valve.   It's job is, if you develop a big enough leak that the compressor can't keep up, it's job is to stop all air at approx 60 PSI from going to anything other than the brake system.

George Westinghouse invented air brakes for trains shortly after the civil war.  We still use pretty much the same system.  Genius,  he also bank rolled Tesla another genius for quite a while after Edison screwed him over.   Tesla the man not the car.  LOL  Before air brakes men had to run along the top of the cars setting the brakes, we have seen that in movies.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westinghouse_Air_Brake_Company

Trivia--  WABCO  aka  Westinghouse Air Brake Company.

Ray and Scotty--yes, some sort of Magic creeper would be nice.  I have one.  It just doesn't compensate for the fact that a coach without hydraulic jacks can only go so high...not near high enough for this 73 yo man to wiggle around.  But one does his best for his friends.  I finally told Paul Moore, "I'm sure I can install all new ride height valves and PPV's while you are here...but I'm willing to give you cash to take it to Barry at Josam's."  LOL

Some things are so simple...but as I anticipate double shoulder replacements, I look for the things I can do that do not tax my aging body.  I can still run.  I can still do one-arm push-ups...just nearly as easily as I did a decade ago. 

Ray and Scotty, you, along with Tom Cherry, Ivan, and a host of others, help keep this forum relevant, and a tribute to my good friend Bill D!

Guest Ray Davis
17 minutes ago, vanwill52 said:

Some things are so simple...but as I anticipate double shoulder replacements, I look for the things I can do that do not tax my aging body.  I can still run.  I can still do one-arm push-ups...just nearly as easily as I did a decade ago. 

Aging body, one arm pushups, I quit those when I turned 80. LOL  Maybe a little earlier.  Ha ha   Listen, I had sholder surgery, ligament reattachment and while it wasn't as bad as I antisipated I don't want to do it again.  When I was in physical therapy a lady said this was her 3rd, I said you only have 2,  she said the dog ran through the house she fell in the door way and tore loose everthing the surgeon had just done. OUCH  So yeah I'm careful with my shoulder too.

46 minutes ago, vanwill52 said:

Ray and Scotty--yes, some sort of Magic creeper would be nice.  I have one.  It just doesn't compensate for the fact that a coach without hydraulic jacks can only go so high...not near high enough for this 73 yo man to wiggle around.  But one does his best for his friends.  I finally told Paul Moore, "I'm sure I can install all new ride height valves and PPV's while you are here...but I'm willing to give you cash to take it to Barry at Josam's."  LOL

Ray and Scotty, you, along with Tom Cherry, Ivan, and a host of others, help keep this forum relevant, and a tribute to my good friend Bill D!

I have to chime in here.  Do you remember in April 2018 when I installed the Watts Link on my Camelot with your supervision. I am a whole lot more robust than your scrawny frame....and now, less so that then. Suck it up boy....Go for it.  I HAD to write this....

I fully understand the issue of air vs hydraulics. You probably know this....others may not. The front and rear Source Engineering sway bars that I have on my Camelot also "limit" the total travel...and I was VERY precise when I installed them so that the ride height was exactly "centered" or supposedly at 8 13/16. I did NOT have that factoid them. I did the min and max and then split the difference and had each end exactly in the mid point.

You picked a heck of a day to be helpful.....

Let us know how bad the coach was off. Mine was OK with 64K until later that summer in 2018. The left front sagged a little. I had the system calibrated and adjusted.  

I replaced the rear ride height valves on our 2005 Signautre a few months ago. I got generic replacements for Hadley H00450CE ride height valves.

I noticed that when the coach is aired down, starting the engine and bringing the air pressure up does not raise the rear when in travel mode. I have to use the raise on the keypad to get some air into the bags, then the ride height valves operate as expected.

I was talking to another MH owner this week and he said there are rubber cups and springs in the ports and the rubber cup needs to be removed to stop this from happening.

Has anyone heard of this before?

Van,

If you are going to replace the ride height valves and PPV's you will need to get the coach up high enough anyway.  I built ramps when I worked on my air system, even though I have jacks I didn't want to trust them.  I used 2X10" boards cut 48, 42,36,30" stacked and screwed together, six total.  For the ones under the rear wheel I added a stout block so I didn't back off the ramps. 

I had the luxury of time so I removed the PPV's to get the numbers off of them, in my case there were 2 styles with the difference being that some had threaded ports on the top of the PPV and others didn't but other then that they were the same.  So I opted to just buy 4 with the threaded ports, They came with plugs if you didn't need the port.  

I checked different sources, these are very common.  Most auto parts stores can get them, some have them in stock and lots of sources in stock if you want to go that route.  I ended up buying them from Advanced Auto since I could get them the next day and price was good.  One question that came up was whether these were DOT approved, they could not confirm but my bet is that most are made by the same manufacturer and just branded different.  The ones I received looked identical to the ones I removed. 

Attached is an installation instruction sheet I found from Haldex, it shows the available pressure options, and the ones with & without ports.  Note that all my PPV's were installed in the wrong orientation, the cap needs to be facing down.  There is a hole in the cap that probably allows for condensation to drain.  When I removed my old ones all them were severely corroided which probably contributed to them leaking/failing. 

PPV installation instructions.pdf

Guest Ray Davis
10 hours ago, pwhittle said:

rubber cups and springs in the ports and the rubber cup needs to be removed to stop this

Are those inside the ride height valve itself?   I've never heard of it.   I do seem to recall a little rubber exhaust tube sticking out

17 hours ago, vanwill52 said:

Van,  you should take my name off and put Jim J on there.  Jim is a steady source of hands on, how to, DIY info.  He never puffs himself up.   I pay attention when Jim posts. 

22 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

Van,  you should take my name off and put Jim J on there.  Jim is a steady source of hands on, how to, DIY info.  He never puffs himself up.   I pay attention when Jim posts. 

Geeze Ray, now I've got a big head.  I'll try anything once and admit that I'm no expert.  As the saying goes "Jack of all trades, master of none"

I just try to provide information on my experience.  If I don't have actual knowledge I try to keep quite and learn.  Lots of other good people on this forum that do the same thing.  Van is one of them and that's why I started following this thread, he's helped out on a number of occasions so I'm just trying to provide some payback.  \

When I started working on my air system the system would leak about 70psi of pressure overnight sometimes more/faster.  Now it will stay up for a +week.  I checked every air connections, replaced all the PTC fittings (kept the old ones as spares), replaced the pressure releif valve on the front tank, and the larger check valve going to the rear tank since it was of a similar design as the PPV's with the rubber valve figuring age would eventually catch up to it also.  Figured while I was into it, had the rig up on ramps, and had the time it would pay to take a good look at it.  Really wasn't a lot of cost but took time.  I did not replace my ride height valve(S) as they weren't leaking.  But I did buy a spare to carry. 

Guest Ray Davis
1 hour ago, jacwjames said:

Geeze Ray, now I've got a big head. 

Jim, you wasn't supposed to see that.  🙈

4 hours ago, Ray Davis said:

Are those inside the ride height valve itself?   I've never heard of it.   I do seem to recall a little rubber exhaust tube sticking out

Hi Ray,

Yes. They are under the airline fittings

Paul

Guest Ray Davis
31 minutes ago, pwhittle said:

Hi Ray,

Yes. They are under the airline fittings

Paul

I used generic valves too I don't think I have had that happen but maybe I wasn't noticing.   Do you feel like it nay be because of generic valves?   Are you goung to try removing the cups>

Edited by Ray Davis

9 hours ago, Ray Davis said:

Me, too!  Always read Jim's posts.

8 hours ago, Ray Davis said:

I used generic valves too I don't think I have had that happen but maybe I wasn't noticing.   Do you feel like it nay be because of generic valves?   Are you goung to try removing the cups>

I have a third one for the front that is not fitted yet. I’ll take that apart and see what is in there.

Paul

Guest Ray Davis
7 hours ago, pwhittle said:

I have a third one for the front that is not fitted yet. I’ll take that apart and see what is in there.

Paul

👍

On 7/7/2022 at 10:04 AM, Ray Davis said:

To clarify about my request on the ride height valves and PPV's, I was not asking for ride height adjustment instructions.  I only wanted PART NUMBERS if anyone knew what they were.

But I'm so bogged down in a weird electrical issue on that coach, I'll never get around to installing the ride height and PPV before my friend leaves.  I'm just hoping to figure out the electrical problem before he has to leave.  I'll describe that in another post.

3 hours ago, vanwill52 said:

To clarify about my request on the ride height valves and PPV's, I was not asking for ride height adjustment instructions.  I only wanted PART NUMBERS if anyone knew what they were.

But I'm so bogged down in a weird electrical issue on that coach, I'll never get around to installing the ride height and PPV before my friend leaves.  I'm just hoping to figure out the electrical problem before he has to leave.  I'll describe that in another post.

Van,           
look at the file I sent earlier,  it has a diagram and the part numbers.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2022 at 11:43 PM, pwhittle said:

Paul

I took the third one apart today and took some pictures.

The supply line has a spring and a rubber cap that would prevent air going back tomthE supply from the suspension.

The line to the suspension (air springs) has a spring and a fine screen to stop anything going to the air springs.

I’ll test it to see if the valve is not opening up when the suspension is fully dumped.

23DB53DA-C1A0-4E54-A3D9-277C04AE017E.thumb.jpeg.348cf5f7d7a2307a89a26984348bfb14.jpeg91027895-9038-4993-A633-66116344A9C6.thumb.jpeg.b559469d4a1b03ea198dac61f5db94e9.jpegC3E7547B-465B-4A4E-A814-8D092947494D.thumb.jpeg.1748d4884c35dcca59c557cea8178743.jpeg388E18EF-D7E7-47D8-B59F-21ECD3DACFCD.thumb.jpeg.a542b509f4fe2a22dd01b250da3bf845.jpeg