Front Lounge TV Mounting

My question is.... how do you get that cabinet out?  I've looked at it and really can't find where it is attached.  I've considered cutting it in place, but have not gotten brave enough for that yet.  95 Dynasty with the head knocker on the left over the drivers seat.

The TV has to be removed first then you should see a number of locations where it is secured to the sides and maybe even the top. It's been so long since doing this that I can't exactly remember the locations and how many but there were quite a number of them.

I've taken the TV out, and there are square pieces of wood that are in the joints where the sides and front come together.  I've removed the screws from those braces and it is still not moving.  I think it may be glued together?

4 hours ago, Jim Bob said:

My question is.... how do you get that cabinet out?  I've looked at it and really can't find where it is attached.  I've considered cutting it in place, but have not gotten brave enough for that yet.  95 Dynasty with the head knocker on the left over the drivers seat.

My center section was secured with screws through the sides and top.  

I did not remove the cabinet. If you remove the screws holding the wood frame around the TV a couple of people can just slide the old TV out of the cabinet,  Disconnect all the wiring from the TV. I saved the trim around the TV to trim around the new one. Put a piece of wood inside of the cabinet, Mount your arm for the new TV to that. New flat screen goes back flush with cabinet. I have some pictures I will post if I can figure out how to do that. Spend some time measuring. The larger Flatscreen you can mount the better. Measurements are on the Best Buy website.

IMG_20160626_104150409_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160626_104220066.jpg

IMG_20160626_104124896.jpg

IMG_20160626_104134452_HDR.jpg

Edited by cterryl@sbcglobal.net

1 hour ago, cterryl@sbcglobal.net said:

I did not remove the cabinet.

To each their own. In your case the TV is not in the way when people enter the coach. With some of the older coaches that have the TV in the center of the cabinets over the dash like mine I hit my head on that TV cabinet more times that I can remember. Hence the main reason for removing the "head-knocker".

Edited by Dr4Film

I would NOT remove the cabinets unless you intend to trash them and put in new. They did use screws to mount them but they are also glued in place. A dead blow hammer will help as will a sawzall. They cannot simply be unscrewed and reused. I watched them build these coaches at Monaco when they were in Coburg. Here is a picture by picture rundown of my recent television change.  ...Dennis             CLICKY

I did not remove mine when altering it. After removing the TV I marked and carefully cut the cabinet removing the section that was lower than the adjacent cabinets. Then I cut the bottom off of the TV section I removed just above the corner radius. Then back to the mounted cabinet, I cut more off of the cabinet So when I reattached the bottom again the bottom matched the other cabinets. The cuts had to be precise and clean so that when reassembled it looked original. I was fortune to have doors from the desk that I had removed and they are the perfect height. Now I have a little extra storage for items that are handy to have close to the entry such as gloves, hats and rain jackets

F7A3F56E-5895-4E2E-8C48-0BA233004884.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim Bob said:

Nice looking job Dennis,  However my old TV is a tube type and the cabinet is about 20 some odd inches deep, so mounting a flat screen to the front is going to look pretty silly. 

Jim, I was in similar situation, could not cut the sides back because the ceiling vinyl does not go behind it and any decent size tv would interfere with the other cabinet doors so I cut the sides quite a few inches shorter and reattached the bottom. No head bumping anymore and it works fine. It is 32" Samsung tv. Similar now in the bedroom. The location works great for me, I like to be horizontal on the passenger side sofa when watching it😃. We don't spent much daytime in it anyway when parked and if there is something we just have to see, there is a larger outside tv for that.

IMG_3060.JPG

For the bottom piece I cut it on a table saw. That’s the easy part. For the top I used a Saber Saw and a hand saw very carefully. Then a lot of filing using a straight edge to constantly check for low points. It is tedious and a bit time consuming but for me I felt easier than disassembling the cabinets

Edited by Chargerman

21 hours ago, Dennis H said:

I would NOT remove the cabinets unless you intend to trash them and put in new. They did use screws to mount them but they are also glued in place. A dead blow hammer will help as will a sawzall. They cannot simply be unscrewed and reused. I watched them build these coaches at Monaco when they were in Coburg. Here is a picture by picture rundown of my recent television change.  ...Dennis             CLICKY

Dennis, the construction may vary by year, as my 03 Windsor cabinet didn't have any glue.  I removed the center head-knocker cabinet and cut down the cabinet myself (after moving the TV to a lift on the passenger side slide).  The center cabinet was screwed to the roof structure and the side cabinets, but I was able to remove it (though it was tight to get out and to reinstall).  Then once it was removed, it was all pocket screws so could disassemble the whole thing and cut it down to size myself.   Now it's just more storage.

5 hours ago, Jim Bob said:

so...  you guys that have cut and altered your cabinet...  what did you use to cut it?  I would imagine a very straight cut is going to be needed to get it to look right when you match the pieces back together. 

I had a cabinet shop do it.  I didn't trust myself on that!  

Our front cabinets have foam and vinyl padding underneath and that's what I did to the shortened TV Box as well. That covered up any imperfections in the new joint as I wrapped the bottom in it and if I ever hit my head again, it should not be so painful anymore.