2001 Dynast Shower Mixing Valve Repair HELP

Bill C

I have been having issues with not enough hot water in the faucets and shower, especially the shower. There is a long discussion about the Aqua Hot in another thread so I don't want to get in to that part now.

However some have suggested that I look at the shower mixing valve. So, here is a pic of the only part that I think I can realistically get access to. Is it rebuild-a-ble? If so, how do I remove it's insides?

Thanks,

Bill

Shower water temp Adjustment valve.jpg

• Tom Cherry changed the title to 2001 Dynast Shower Mixing Valve Repair HELP

Folks will have to chime in to possibly identify the brand.  Is there a brand name stamped on the handle or PN on it?  The picture indicates that you will need a special socket to loosen the nut.  Fitting a socket over the stem that has the same outside diameter as the lock nut....then you grind slots in to each side of the socket and use that as a tool.  MAYBE a pair of needle nose....depends on how much torque you need.  Probably spray it with WD-40 or a penetrant to help break loose the stem or flange nut.  Look at your picture...it LOOKS like there are flats on each side of the metal lock nut that is holding the stem in place.

Once you take it apart, then you will probably need a new "Cartridge" or kit.  You MIGHT also, when you remove the stem, LOOK CAREFULLY.  If, over the years there has been some trash or scale or whatever creeping through the HOT water side, then you might luck out and just use an ice pick or tool and clean the inlets.  BUT, you will need a new "washer" or inserts to rebuild it.  

Once you have the faucet disassembled (as in taking off the nut), then I would take the handle and the parts and a picture to a good plumbing supply store and ask their counter folks to help you identify the brand and also get you the rebuild kit.

Moen and Delta and Price-Fizer (SP?) were the three brands I remember that were used....but with Monaco, they also imported some fancy ones and used some "RV Suppliers"....that may (definitely some are GONE) not be around today...

Good Luck...

This is a Moen shower valve. There is no repair for this stem. To remove the stem unit you must first shut off the water to the valve, then remove the chrome tube around the valve body, should pull straight out, then remove the copper retainer by lifting up on the tab at the top. After removing the retainer, try rotating the stem in the valve body.  Grab the stem in the center and pull out. You should be able to find a replacement stem at Home Depot or Lowes.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

Moen has a lifetime warranty on those. I replaced mine and got a free spare from them. YouTube has good videos on the removal, they can be pretty stuck.

I can't speak for Moen, other than their main assembly plant was next door, almost to one that I worked at for 10 years and my son worked there and I knew a lot of folks....  The Delta Lifetime warranty is great.  If you call them, you will need to send some pictures.  They will send you everything you need.  The folks chiming in with real info is what makes this place so valuable...

Good Luck.  Give us an update.

While you are at doing the replacement, i would highly recommend you replace the plastic 90 degree elbows on the two water lines to the mixing valve with brass. They get brittle over time, or crack because they were tightened to much during building the coach. You may also want to replace the plastic water lines with Braided Stainless kitchen faucet water lines , down to the basement. I had a elbow fail, causing $$$$ damage to the tile sub floor. 

You may have to find the blind panel that must be removed to access the back of the mixing valve. Usually a wall by the panrty, or galley. Fasteners usually found in the 4 corners area of it. 

It’s a Moen it’s an easy fix just replace the cartridge. Home Depot or you can call Moen they will I’ll replace it free if you’re the original owner. Moen has videos for that repair. Moen 800-289-6636

Don

It is a Moen as mentioned earlier, and all you have to do is call for a free replacement of the cartridge (there are two types). Check out YouTube to see how to remove them; they can be super stuck.

There are three important things to take care of in the removal: (1) you definitely need the removal tool which comes which is included with the new cartridge and do not throw it away when you are done in case you have to remove it again; (2) The copper retaining clasp also can be very difficult to remove: and (3) Remember which direction the flat side of the stem faces when you reinsert the cartridge or you will reverse hot and cold.   

However, I don't think the cartridge is your problem; you replace the cartridge to fix a leak, Much easier, I first would check the shower head to clean out calcium deposits. There also may be a strainer in the head which also clogs with calcium and can be cleaned. There is no strainer in the cartridge to clog.

Stephenw is correct about taking it apart and removing the pin. Be careful as the pin is not as easy to get new. Make sure to clean the ports and use the grease included in the kit. Also make sure to replace all the parts or the handle may spin alround and not work properly. I am not disclosing how I know.

4 hours ago, StephenW said:

This is a Moen shower valve. There is no repair for this stem. To remove the stem unit you must first shut off the water to the valve, then remove the chrome tube around the valve body, should pull straight out, then remove the copper retainer by lifting up on the tab at the top. After removing the retainer, try rotating the stem in the valve body.  Grab the stem in the center and pull out. You should be able to find a replacement stem at Home Depot or Lowes.

Good info Stephen, thanks!

Bill

4 hours ago, Ivan K said:

Moen has a lifetime warranty on those. I replaced mine and got a free spare from them. YouTube has good videos on the removal, they can be pretty stuck.

I would love to find a YouTube video, how would I search for it without the model number?

Anyone have the model number?

Thanks,

Bill

2 hours ago, bobdinsmore said:

It is a Moen as mentioned earlier, and all you have to do is call for a free replacement of the cartridge (there are two types). Check out YouTube to see how to remove them; they can be super stuck.

There are three important things to take care of in the removal: (1) you definitely need the removal tool which comes which is included with the new cartridge and do not throw it away when you are done in case you have to remove it again; (2) The copper retaining clasp also can be very difficult to remove: and (3) Remember which direction the flat side of the stem faces when you reinsert the cartridge or you will reverse hot and cold.   

However, I don't think the cartridge is your problem; you replace the cartridge to fix a leak, Much easier, I first would check the shower head to clean out calcium deposits. There also may be a strainer in the head which also clogs with calcium and can be cleaned. There is no strainer in the cartridge to clog.

Good Points Bob, but how do I get the tool unless I buy the part, and how do I buy the correct part, if I don't know the model, and how do I know the model, unless I remove it. Get my point? 🙂

33 minutes ago, Corkman said:

Good Points Bob, but how do I get the tool unless I buy the part, and how do I buy the correct part, if I don't know the model, and how do I know the model, unless I remove it. Get my point? 🙂

Not Bob, but dealing with Delta, they ask the right questions and you email photos and they will identify it for you.  Technically, if you are the second or later owner of the motor home, then you don’t qualify, unless you fib, for the freebie parts.  BUT, they will walk you through it and help you identify it…, 

Ivan K is correct, it is a Moen 1200 series cartridge. The Moen cartridge puller makes the job easy.  If you install the cartridge and the Hot and Cold are reversed you can change that without removing the cartridge, just turn the center stem of the cartridge 180 degrees and this reverses Hot and Cold.

1 hour ago, Ivan K said:

Ours was Moen 1222. Single handed shower faucet. 

Ivan, I read the install instructions on line for a 1222, it indicates that there is a temp Limit, does yours have that? 

1 hour ago, Corkman said:

Ivan, I read the install instructions on line for a 1222, it indicates that there is a temp Limit, does yours have that? 

I honestly don't quite remember that but this is what I bought back then, 2 years ago. I'll look at the spare if it will refresh my memory.

Edit: I don't see any adjustment on the spare but now that you said that, there might be a stop limit for the handle movement itself.

Screenshot_20230122_193539_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230122_195249_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Ivan K
  • Like 1

Bill,

The cartridge that Ivan K showed is a Moen 1222B for a shower valve that has a handle that rotates to turn on and off from cold to hot.  Your picture shows a Moen shower valve that has a handle that pulls out for on and push in for off and turn left and right for hot and cold. I believe the cartridge you need is a Moen 1225. 

Bill Corkman,

(1) The photo in your original post is a Moen, not a Delta. All Moen parts have a lifetime free replacement if you call Moen (1-800-CALL MOEN). Call Moen and they will tell you which cartridge you need.

(2) Here is an excellent video on replacing the Moen cartridge using a PULLER tool (which does NOT come with the cartridge): 

https://www.google.com/search?q=moen+1225+cartridge+replacement&oq=moen1225&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0i10i512l9.10843j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:57fe4eb9,vid:_ZbOAjBXpDE

(3) Over sixty years, I've replaced five or six Moen 1225 cartridges but didn't realize a puller is available which would have made the job so MUCH easier. I did it without a puller by using the white plastic "pusher" tool that comes with the replacement cartridge: Use the pusher to rotate the stem right and left to free it up and then clamp vise-grips on the half-inch square stem and pull like crazy.

(4) I still recommend you FIRST remove the shower head and check for and clean out any calcium deposits in the strainer and the spray nozzles (holes). This possibly would avoid the much more difficult job of replacing the cartridge. Calcium buildup in the shower head is a much more common problem than a blockage in the cartridge.

(5) As an aside, this summer I thought I had a bad water pump because I had no water in the shower or in either sink. It turned out the pump was working perfectly. Almost beyond imagination the screens on all three units were totally plugged with calcium. How's that for a almost unbelievable coincidence???

I hope this helps and clarifies.