Choosing an ATS

Would appreciate any suggestions on helping me choose an ATS...

I currently have the original Southwire Surgeguard ATS Model 40250. I want to replace with a non-surge protected ATS along with a hard wired surge protector.

Can't decide between using a Relay Base ATS such as Esco Lyght LPT50BRD, or a mechanical ATS such as Southwire 40100

Thanks for any suggestions !

I installed the Esco LPT50BRD to replace the older ATS and it has worked well. Several years ago I installed a Progressive HW50C EMS in the same bay in the power cord.

No issues with the ems but it has alerted me more than once when there has been an issue with the  50A power supply.

I went with the TRS SurgeGuard 40100 last August when the original 40100 failed to switch to generator mode.   Amazon showed it as TRC brand in a metal box and was $136 + tx then.  What showed up was a Southwire SurgeGuard 40100 in a plastic box.  They're $164 now. 

There was heavy pressure to buy a high dollar ATS (like Esco) with internal surge protection.  High dollar and one more thing that can fail.  I don't do a lot of parks so the bad power odds are in my favor. 

I have no complaints and installation was straight forward (no re-configuring of power wires), but I did have to move some ground wires internally . . . . and not real happy about the plastic box.  It emits a slight hum that I can only hear with the bay door open. 

If I want surge protection I'll add a plug-in unit later.

- bob

5 hours ago, vito.a said:

I emailed Esco when our ATS was making noise.  He recommended an Esco part number LPT50BRD.  This is a new design that is completely silent.  

Technically, it is an OLD design.  Lyght made them off the original IOTA 50 R, but they changed the circuitry and also put in better terminal strips. ESCO bought out LYGHT.  If you read some of the "Old Timer's" posts here, no one has ever had a LYGHT failure.  I did, as the request of our founder, the Colonel, a research project and talked to the ESCO folks.  When the IOTA's started failing, most dealers were stocking the ESCO LPT50BRD.  Esco had made a 120 VAC Coil unit (the 65N or something light that) and used it for Monaco.  The downside was that it HUMMED.  Not everyone could hear it but some did and some wives really complained.  ESCO told me that eventually, they were going to phase out the 65N....but I think they still make it.  If you call them, cold turkey and ask....need a 50 A ATS the first response is always the LPT50BRD.  Some of the original art work for the ESCO actually had LYGHT on it.

That, in my "unscientific" survey is the most popular replacement ATS, in the NON Surge Protected line.  Typically, the most popular set up is the Progressive HW50C then feeding the LPT50BRD.  We have many members sell their used OEM TRC or Surge Guard on Ebay and go to this.  The Progressive and the ESCO are all field serviceable.

Some folks have opted for other brands and report good results....so, this doesn't need to morph into a "who's is longer" discussion.  Do some searching and use IOTA and Topics and you will find several topics that discuss the failures and they have a LOT of posts on the replacement.

FWIW....the LPT50BRD is a 12 VDC coil contactor(s)....so it doesn't hum or make noise with the 65N 120 VAC coils.

Good Luck....

Installed the Progressive Dynamics 50 Amp unit 3-4 years ago after the noisy Esco unit (installed by REV as part of the IOTA recall) failed.  Quiet and made in USA, very happy.  Don't understand why it doesn't get more positive press.  Do have the Progressive Industries hard wired surge protection upstream.  They are different companies.

On 3/29/2023 at 8:15 AM, lake49068 said:

Installed the Progressive Dynamics 50 Amp unit 3-4 years ago after the noisy Esco unit (installed by REV as part of the IOTA recall) failed.  Quiet and made in USA, very happy.  Don't understand why it doesn't get more positive press.  Do have the Progressive Industries hard wired surge protection upstream.  They are different companies.

Thanks for bringing this up!  We like rely on first hand experiences when recommending replacement items, so now we have it!  The reason the ESCO LPT50BRD is mentioned so frequently is that many members have used it and had a good experience with it (I’m one).  We used to have a member, Bill Groves (aka HotRod - who passed about 2 years ago) who was both electrical and mechanical engineering degrees.  His preferred unit was the Southwire (formerly TRC) SurgeGuard units.  He was not a fan of the ESCO unit because of the way it switched the neutral circuits (no air break).

If I were to do it all over today I would use the Southwire 40100 unit and the Hughes Power Watchdog surge protection.

In simple terms the Southwire completely disconnects the neutral during switchover, which is somewhat safer than the way the LPT50BRD does it.  The chances of a neutral problem during switchover with the LTP50BRD are very small, and many, many Monaco owners have never had an issue with this unit over decades of use. It can only happen when the generator is running AND you are connected to shore power during switchover.  Most resolve this issue by simply disconnecting shore power, or stopping the genny before switching (not a bad practice, regardless) This has been a subject of much debate on this site and the Yahoo! Forum over the years. Unless corrected, I will say it’s a “theoretical” problem in that I’m not aware of a member’s Monaco coach getting damaged due to this issue.

As far as surge protection goes, the Hughes and Progressive Industries units are both excellent, but the Hughes unit offers more connectivity and features, plus it has a higher surge rating (6,100 joules for the Hughes vs 3580 joules for the PI) - specifically for my interest, it links with my RV Whisper system to notify me of a shore power outages and records electrical data which helps diagnose problems. It also has an easily field-replaceable surge module in case the surge section gets fried.

One thing I’m pretty sure all Monacoers members agree on - just about anything is safer than the recalled IOTA ITS-50R units.

6642ADB6-87DF-43BD-99B8-E57FB47FE11B.thumb.jpeg.4ce8c7c51e8b4ee42d2770cbee0caeba.jpeg

18 hours ago, lake49068 said:

After seeing the picture of the Surge Guard, I remembered that's the one installed by REV,  was noisy and failed after just a few years.  Whoops!

Are you talking about the above pic? If so, have had it forever and never failed and no noise at all except when it switches

I have the surgeguard as recommended to me by Bill Groves. Never have had a problem. The one thing I will caution everyone on is to take the time to inspect and measure inside your electrical bay. Not all ATS's will fit in some of the Monaco bays. You also need to take into consideration the wiring entrance and exit points of the new ATS. The ATS models out there are not a one size fits all. Some of our Monaco coaches have different electrical bay setups and some like the Southwire/Surgeguard are large units and wont fit into some of the bays. Make sure you do your due diligence before ordering an ATS.