Monaco/roadmaster stacker trailer

Hello group. I saw someone advertising a 2008 Monaco/ roadmaster stacker trailer? I did not know They made trailers. It is 22' long and 13' tall. I know these coaches can't handle much Tongue weight, but maybe they built it with that in mind?

37 minutes ago, vito.a said:

We have quite a few racers towing stacker trailers with Monaco Executives and Signatures as well as Holiday Rambler Navigators. 

Same when I was still racing, had a couple friends pulling stackers and no issues.

• Like 1

The hitch rating for most Monaco's is 10,000 lbs and 1,000 lbs tongue weight. Tongue weight can be adjusted with the load you are carrying. When I was still traveling and doing RV events I towed a 26 ft enclosed trailer. My overall weight changed constantly according to the amount of product I was carrying. I purchased a tongue weight scale and used it before each trip and adjusted my load accordingly. It isn't hard to do. I was very OCD about using my trailer and loading and adjusting weights was on the top of my list for each and every trip. One only has to tow a poor handling trailer once to know how important load adjustments truly are. The max weight I ever towed with my little Cummins 330 was 8,500 lbs. It did well but I wouldn't want to tow more then that.

Many Monaco's can handle more then 10,000 lbs but the hitch has to be completely redone and beefed up. I ran into a Prevost owner at an NHRA track. I have never seen any rig combination come close to what he had. Large Stacker trailer which when connected to his bus he was 80 Ft. long. His hitch was custom made and beefed up to carry 20,000 lbs which he said the Detroit had no issues with. He also stated he had never been pulled over or harassed once about the length - except in CA where they made him drop his trailer and arrange a truck to take it to the track. I watched as It took 3 people to park him with walkie talkies at the tracks. Can you imagine finding parking places in rest areas with that rig ? Crazy. Most semi's are 65 ft and I believe the law is 65 ft in most states. There are a few exceptions.

• Like 1

Guest Ray Davis
16 hours ago, Jdw12345 said:

I ran across this a year or so back, thought it was pretty cool, don’t know if I’d want to pull it!

Wow, Jeff, that is beautiful.   The matching Monaco/Prevost to pull it is just as beautiful.  It would be a shame to separate them.

On 4/2/2023 at 7:53 AM, throgmartin said:

The hitch rating for most Monaco's is 10,000 lbs and 1,000 lbs tongue weight. Tongue weight can be adjusted with the load you are carrying. When I was still traveling and doing RV events I towed a 26 ft enclosed trailer. My overall weight changed constantly according to the amount of product I was carrying. I purchased a tongue weight scale and used it before each trip and adjusted my load accordingly. It isn't hard to do. I was very OCD about using my trailer and loading and adjusting weights was on the top of my list for each and every trip. One only has to tow a poor handling trailer once to know how important load adjustments truly are. The max weight I ever towed with my little Cummins 330 was 8,500 lbs. It did well but I wouldn't want to tow more then that.

Many Monaco's can handle more then 10,000 lbs but the hitch has to be completely redone and beefed up. I ran into a Prevost owner at an NHRA track. I have never seen any rig combination come close to what he had. Large Stacker trailer which when connected to his bus he was 80 Ft. long. His hitch was custom made and beefed up to carry 20,000 lbs which he said the Detroit had no issues with. He also stated he had never been pulled over or harassed once about the length - except in CA where they made him drop his trailer and arrange a truck to take it to the track. I watched as It took 3 people to park him with walkie talkies at the tracks. Can you imagine finding parking places in rest areas with that rig ? Crazy. Most semi's are 65 ft and I believe the law is 65 ft in most states. There are a few exceptions.

I was thinking of getting a Hydralift carrier for my golf cart. Loaded it would add about 1800# on my rear but considering the lever arm the rear axle would have about an additional 2700# on it. Pulled out the CAT scales report and my rear axle is within a very few pounds of its capacity. Guess I can’t tow anything that has a tongue weight. Back to the drawing boards.
BTW, I tow about 6000# of car. The Swivelwheel and cart will bring me near 8000#. Nice to know adding a Swivelwheel dolly with the cart won’t hurt performance too much since we have identical coaches.

Ed           
‘05 HR Ambassador 

On 4/2/2023 at 4:32 AM, cbr046 said:

Would this classify as triple towing?

- bob

I would think since it has its own axle and it is towed, and, can be towed alone that it would be triple towing.  Some states allow triple towing without a special license others don't.