My coach has some signs of seeping lines that run from the rear engine bay to the front in the space above the storage compartments. In the utility bay where there is no headliner I see some slight collecting of fluid in low spots on the lines. In addition, there is a prevalent smell in the storage bay and even in the house of the motorhome if it's been sealed up for awhile, almost smells like cheap cologne, kind of an alcohol smell.

I am also able to see that the outer covering on some of the lines is sort of sheathing off a bit, very thin outer layers (sorry can't find a pic right now).

I *think* these must be the hydraulic lines?  I've read that this is a common issue on older coaches.  How can I easily determine if it's hydraulic vs coolant?  

I haven't needed to add any hydraulic fluid in the 1.5 years I've owned the coach, maybe 7k miles total.

Thoughts? 

Well I'm not sure which hose(s) are actually leaking. The moisture tends to travel to the lowest point in the bundle, all zip tied together. 

I'm still thinking it must be hydraulic fluid, since antifreeze would evaporate quickly, and this is a more oily residue.

I guess I have to cut a bunch of zip ties and see if I can figure out which hoses are actually the source. Could also be travelling down the hose from a fitting I suppose.  

There are coolant lines that run to the front of the coach, right? For dash heating?  

I will tear into the section of bundle I can access tomorrow and cut the zip ties and take some "samples".  I was thinking of getting a coolant drain/fill next week before our upcoming vacation season starts but no point if I need to drain it again to replace these lines.

Coolant lines may have shutoff valves in the engine bay somewhere, is that correct? Maybe it's possible to replace the lines without draining the entire system first.

55 minutes ago, Doug and Nicki said:

This is likely power steering hoses. 

Completely agree (power steering). I’m dealing with it now on my Imperial. Power steer return line is seeping and even bulged in an area I found above the storage compartment. I actually discovered it on a fluke when replacing fuel lines for the AquaHot. Simply put, time to check all hoses and lines on your coach. We blew a coolant line in Kentucky going to the AquaHot rendering us in a not so pleasant spot on the side of I71 for a couple hours until we could make a temporary repair. Anyone who has replaced those hoses knows all to well…crummy job. Anyway, happy hunting for those looking for leaks and yes…..I sympathize with all. 

My 2000 dynasty has metal coolant lines through the basement. There are short hoses at either end that connect to the engine and heater core. 

hydraulic hoses could be levelers or power steering. I’ve seen a few drops on mine for 7 years and have just wiped it off. I’ve heard that it’s probably a leak where the fitting is attached to the hose which then migrated down the hose. 
im going to start addressing mine soon. It’s going to be expensive. 

Okay got some pictures. It appears to be hydraulic fluid. 

Here you can see two drops that have accumulated on the hoses:

IMG_4568.thumb.JPG.307ec2caa79fc423c1422ac4870bccb3.JPG

On the paper towel after I wiped them off:

IMG_4570.thumb.JPG.2d0247768127b1914f0a8fb62467176b.JPG

I cut the zip ties and opened the bundle to see the different hoses. There is an insulated copper pipe I'm guessing is the "hot" coolant from the engine block? 

You can also see where the outer layer of the hoses have sloughed off where the zip ties were.IMG_4574.thumb.JPG.b0a4a3f0fb06491b86d2017b292922ce.JPG

Also, my three jack hoses are all a mess, coated in built-up grease from long-term fluid leaks.

Front/center jack:

IMG_0897.thumb.JPG.3001d85047408a33888314b530311433.JPG

The worst of the leak appears near the front of the coach:

IMG_0831.thumb.JPG.16d5d52f93e844ab3f87138f86fd95f6.JPG

I wonder if it could be diesel leaking from the generator fuel line, then running down the rest of the hoses, as well.

Taste it.  Hydraulic and motor oils don't have much of a taste and remind me of cooking oil.  Antifreeze has a sort of tangy taste.  Diesel?  I don't remember.

Good luck chasing the source . . . . maybe blow some flour up in there?

- bob

If you run out of options, leak detection dye would work with UV light, like a scorpion light that you might already have. Different dyes for different fluid in usual automotive stores. One at a time and catch the leak points before it spreads down the line. These really work.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ivan K said:

If you run out of options, leak detection dye would work with UV light, like a scorpion light that you might already have. Different dyes for different fluid in usual automotive stores. One at a time and catch the leak points before it spreads down the line. These really work.

Interesting, I had no idea such a thing existed. 

Whatever it is, it's not leaking enough to warrant me topping up any fluids. 

@RoadTripper2084 If it were me, and depending on how much a mess there is, I would get my favorite degreaser and clean all the suspect areas.  Maybe several times will be required.  And then look for fresh fluid where you cleaned, and start eliminating from there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, cleaned things up as good as I could, from what I can tell, the 3 hydraulic lines for the jacks are the leakers. They seem greasy all the down their entire lengths.

I've read that this is a common ailment on these RVA 3-point jacks?

Other than attempting to tighten the fittings are each end, I'm thinking of letting this issue ride for a bit, any concerns?

6 minutes ago, RoadTripper2084 said:

Okay, cleaned things up as good as I could, from what I can tell, the 3 hydraulic lines for the jacks are the leakers. They seem greasy all the down their entire lengths.

I've read that this is a common ailment on these RVA 3-point jacks?

Other than attempting to tighten the fittings are each end, I'm thinking of letting this issue ride for a bit, any concerns?

That's what I'd do, keep an eye on the oil level and see how much you use, if it gets excessive you'll have to address. 

The rear two lines on my coach are tucked up in the ceiling between the two frame rails.  In 2021 I ran a piece of 3/4" conduit front to back and had to drop the center ceiling to help it along.  My hoses, piping, wiring harnesses are all secured with a bunch of zip ties and are run through steel brackets welded onto the frame.  It would be a chore to pull the old lines, you might be able to run new and leave the old ones in place. You could drain the lines but there will a residual amount of oil that would seep anyway.