1/2 of 12v not wotking

Go to solution Solved by bmulvenna@hotmail.com,

Have a friend that has a 2001 dynasty.Only half of his 12 v in the coach is working .

Awning, power seats are some of the things not working. He has checked all the fuses.

Any thoughts as to what to check? Could it be a bad sales switch solenoid? I have asked him to jump it  but he seems hesitant.

Thanks 

Mike 2004 Dynasty

Edited by bmulvenna@hotmail.com

The 2001 Dynasty has two solenoids on the salesman switch. After changing one solenoid and accidentally turning off the salesman switch several times I finally jumpered both solenoids by putting the large wires on the same post and disconnecting the small wires on each solenoid. No more problems losing lights and other 12V systems!

8 hours ago, StephenW said:

The 2001 Dynasty has two solenoids on the salesman switch. After changing one solenoid and accidentally turning off the salesman switch several times I finally jumpered both solenoids by putting the large wires on the same post and disconnecting the small wires on each solenoid. No more problems losing lights and other 12V systems!

Wow. It really has 2? Have jumpered mine in the past.

Driving to see him today. Will check the 2nd solenoid.

Thanks

Edited by bmulvenna@hotmail.com

8 hours ago, bmulvenna@hotmail.com said:

Me too. But I asked him to check anyway.

They are for the 120 VAC.  They have nothing to do with the missing 12 VDC.  If you look at the prints (I downloaded the file that we have), go to almost the end.  That shows the high current schematics. Refer to them.  

1 hour ago, Tom Cherry said:

They are for the 120 VAC.  They have nothing to do with the missing 12 VDC.  If you look at the prints (I downloaded the file that we have), go to almost the end.  That shows the high current schematics. Refer to them.  

Thanks Tom. I downloaded the 2001 dynasty wire diagrams. It shows the battery cutoff switches on page 57. Should be able to figure out my friends issue from that

A simple 12 volt test light will sort out a solenoid in seconds.

No worries about jumping it and no need to know how to use a voltmeter.

Just find a good ground for one end, then probe around the solenoid large terminals. If one large one lights it up then the second large terminal so do so as well. IF it is engaged.

To check if it should be or is engaged, find the two small conrol terminals and see if one of them lights the tester and the other does not. That is the "light switch" portion of the solenoid. The control  voltage. 

22 hours ago, StephenW said:

Yep, my 2008 Dynasty also has 2 latching 12 volt relay solenoids.  These typically fail over time if activated under high loads.  After now 16 years of use under minimal loads while activating the salesman switch mine are still going strong.