Hello Everyone,

2000 Dynasty ISC - Last year I had the engine oil cooler fail - got a bit of oil in the coolant (but no coolant in the oil 🙂 ).

The shop replaced the oil cooler, flushed the coolant lines, and put new coolant in the system. 

Now I am having “strange” behavior at startup and shutdown. When the engine is warm and running the coolant seems to be at the proper level in the tank. However, after shutting down the engine the coolant “disappears” and there is not much in the tank. The “low coolant sensor” is completely dry, so I get a low coolant warning when I startup. It will stay on about as long as my air tanks take to fill up (sometimes a bit longer), but by the time I start driving it is off and plenty of coolant in the tank. 

I have had the rig for over four years and it never did that until the coolant was changed and now it does it every time. 

Any ideas???

My Coolant Surge Tank on my previous Windsor with the ISC had a High Level Mark and a Low Level Mark. Maybe they were labeled Hot & Cold, I can't specifically remember.

When the coolant was cold the level was close to the bottom mark and when it was hot at temperature it was at or over the high mark.

How large is your coolant tank and how is it marked?

Photo of Windsor Coolant Tank.

Coolant Surge Tank.png

ISC-350 Engine-01.JPG

Possibly air in the system.

Typically the highest part of the system (commonly but not always the radiator cap) needs to be 100% filled)

Wondering if there is an air pocket that "fills" when the engine is running but leaves a void at the tank.

• Like 1

Buy a coolant filling funnel for about $20 on Amazon. There are videos on Youtube about the use of it to ‘burp’ the cooling system.

When burping it is recommended to turn the dash heater to HOT to make sure the coolant and air is circulating and air gets purged. 

Edited by Martinvz

3 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

My Coolant Surge Tank on my previous Windsor with the ISC had a High Level Mark and a Low Level Mark. Maybe they were labeled Hot & Cold, I can't specifically remember.

When the coolant was cold the level was close to the bottom mark and when it was hot at temperature it was at or over the high mark.

How large is your coolant tank and how is it marked?

Photo of Windsor Coolant Tank.

Coolant Surge Tank.png

ISC-350 Engine-01.JPG

OUCH now I am jealous.  This just makes me wish I had held out to find a Rig with side radiator.   That all looks so nice and ACCESSIBLE.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Rocketman3 said:

Hello Everyone,

2000 Dynasty ISC - Last year I had the engine oil cooler fail - got a bit of oil in the coolant (but no coolant in the oil 🙂 ).

The shop replaced the oil cooler, flushed the coolant lines, and put new coolant in the system. 

Now I am having “strange” behavior at startup and shutdown. When the engine is warm and running the coolant seems to be at the proper level in the tank. However, after shutting down the engine the coolant “disappears” and there is not much in the tank. The “low coolant sensor” is completely dry, so I get a low coolant warning when I startup. It will stay on about as long as my air tanks take to fill up (sometimes a bit longer), but by the time I start driving it is off and plenty of coolant in the tank. 

I have had the rig for over four years and it never did that until the coolant was changed and now it does it every time. 

Any ideas???

When cold have you added coolant so that it is between the cold and hot coolant line on the tank?  If not, that's the first thing that needs to be done.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TomV48 said:

OUCH now I am jealous.  This just makes me wish I had held out to find a Rig with side radiator.   That all looks so nice and ACCESSIBLE.

Tom, I feel I was lucky that I didn't buy an upper level motorhome when I bought mine new. Reading about the problems with DEF and multiplex on the site, I feel blessed. There is so many things that go wrong and I, personally, don't have the desire to head down that road at my age. I am glad I got a 40 footer with a bath and a half.

Gary 05 AMB DST

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gary 05 AMB DST said:

Tom, I feel I was lucky that I didn't buy an upper level motorhome when I bought mine new. Reading about the problems with DEF and multiplex on the site, I feel blessed. There is so many things that go wrong and I, personally, don't have the desire to head down that road at my age. I am glad I got a 40 footer with a bath and a half.

Gary 05 AMB DST

Well on balance we're very happy with our little 34 footer. The way I look at it that just gives me more usable cargo capacity then you guys with the same chassis 6 ft longer.

But I came so close on a very low mileage 2000 Dutch star with a 8.3 but a side radiator.   That was the point at which a lot of coaches were still basic White fiberglass and I offered the wife that if I could have that Dutch star I would take it to the paint shop of her dreams and have it painted any color she wanted.   But we paid more got an 05 and I'm stuck with that rear radiator and I'm learning to work around it.

• Like 1