Alarm or Chime under dash

olywrestle

I am trying to track down a random beeping noise. The picture of the beeper/chime is below. Here is the scenario:

Turn the key on, and this beeper starts beeping. It does not stop until engine is running. Even with low air pressure, and in drive, this beeper does not come back on. That is fine, I watch my gauages very closely (and use BlueFire), so I will track down why low air doesn't beep later (likely issues with the entertech beeper under the column). The problem is, it will randomly start going off when I am driving, sometimes it will start real low, go in and out, sound like it is "static" type noise and then finally get up to full loudness. Then randomly it will stop.

I found it on the wiring diagrams. Looks like it is the extra monaco added alarm. Blue Fire and Gauges report no issues with Pressures, Temp, or voltage.

Thoughts, Ideas?

20230710_074027.jpg

Screenshot 2023-07-10 081642.jpg

1 minute ago, waterskier_1 said:

Ok, based on the wire designations going to this alarm module, it sounds on Oil Pressure Alarm, Water Temperature Alarm, or Alternator Charge Alarm.  So, one of those is likely what's causing the module to sound off.

-Rick N.

Agree on one of those things being the cause of the alarm going off, but gauges (digital and analog dash gauges) do not coincide with the alarm going off. Wondering if anyone has tracked it down to a wire rubbing somewhere, corrossion, etc.

49 minutes ago, Cubflyer said:

Photo shows 3 wires connected to “buzzer” wiring drawing only shows 2…???  Can you get any numbers or codes off the wires connected to the buzzer?

The wiring diagram shows three, two off to the left, and one off to the right.

-Rick N.

@olywrestle I had an additional temp sensor that Monaco installed by the exhaust manifold that did not go to the gauges but does cause an alarm.  Found that this temp sensor was bad.  Here is a pic of it.  Not sure if you have the same thing, but this is Monaco installed.  Is not used for gauges or ECM input on my coach.  Many who have this set up have had the wires disconnected on theirs.  Probably because it was alarming because of a bad sensor.  

Water Temp Sensor.jpg

Edited by Bill R
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Bill R said:

@olywrestle I had an additional temp sensor that Monaco installed by the exhaust manifold that did not go to the gauges but does cause an alarm.  Found that this temp sensor was bad.  Here is a pic of it.  Not sure if you have the same thing, but this is Monaco installed.  Is not used for gauges or ECM input on my coach.  Many who have this set up have had the wires disconnected on theirs.  Probably because it was alarming because of a bad sensor.  

Thanks Bill, I will look. Any idea what it was getting the temp of? Coolant?

Edited by olywrestle
format

4 hours ago, olywrestle said:

Agree on one of those things being the cause of the alarm going off, but gauges (digital and analog dash gauges) do not coincide with the alarm going off. Wondering if anyone has tracked it down to a wire rubbing somewhere, corrossion, etc.

My 04 Dynasty has warning light on the dash as well as the gauges for oil, temperature, transmission. The warning light is actually secondary to the gauges. I had a warning light even though the gauges were all within normal range.  Replacement the oil pressure sensor which turned off the warning light.  The oil pressure gauge showed normal - the light is for someone that doesn't pay attention to the gauges! I suspect that you may have the same situation only a beeper instead of a warning light? 

• Like 1

@olywrestle yes it measures the coolant temp.  But it is secondary and as @Duffer51 mentions he has a light on the dash as well.  But for my Windsor there is no light, only an alarm.  And it was a bad temp sensor.  That may be why you get an alarm when gauges show good. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Bill R said:

@olywrestle yes it measures the coolant temp.  But it is secondary and as @Duffer51 mentions he has a light on the dash as well.  But for my Windsor there is no light, only an alarm.  And it was a bad temp sensor.  That may be why you get an alarm when gauges show good. 

I looked at the circuit….a little confusing unless you know how the entire circuit works.  Not to confuse this issue, but Monaco, on at least the Camelots and definitely the Dynasty and on up, went with a complex instrument panel cluster where there was a “mini processor”.  That simplified the sensor and other issues.  The mini processor gets the input from the various sensors and then drives the gauges….as well as turns on the warning lights and also sounds the alarms.  Good and bad.  If the input is not read properly, like air pressure, from a defective transducer, then the gauge doesn’t work.  The alarm goes off.  You can’t fix the alarm.  So, a tech  cut the wire to the alarm.  BUT any other input will only light a light….but no audible….

7 hours ago, waterskier_1 said:

The wiring diagram shows three, two off to the left, and one off to the right.

Rick N

If you say so.... but by my count the wiring diagram shows only two wires at the unit itself, like two terminals, not three terminals like his photo, maybe there is a ground not shown in the drawing... either way, he needs to figure out what his buzzer is connected to.

Thanks all for chiming in. 

On the ambassador (and likely the knight)the dash is fairly simple with no micro controller as Tom mentions on the higher end coaches, there is not a coolant light or oil pressure light, there is an alternator light. This switch was an audible alert added by Monaco and it's redundant to lights and gauges. I suspect as Bill stated there is a bad sensor tired into this alert system. As such, for myself I feel comfortable unplugging it as I am a gauge watcher consistently. 

In the process of all this, I discovered the audible alert tied into the low air/transmission gear had the ground wire cut. Based on everything out there, I bet my Nason switch on the parking brake is bad. I hooked up the alarm anyways to see what happens on my next trip. Thanks all for the insights. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, olywrestle said:

In the process of all this, I discovered the audible alert tied into the low air/transmission gear had the ground wire cut. Based on everything out there, I bet my Nason switch on the parking brake is bad. I hooked up the alarm anyways to see what happens on my next trip. Thanks all for the insights. 

Brad:

I have an ambassador and these parking brake switches are known to go bad. I actually have a spare somewhere and need to replace mine as this alarm will start chiming going down the road for no reason. Like you all gauges say everything is fine, including air pressure. It is really bad if I park and then release the parking brake and take off. Sometimes that alarm will stay on for 20-30 minutes. It is annoying and drives me Bat Shxx crazy.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, olywrestle said:

I hooked up the alarm anyways to see what happens on my next trip

I have all my annoying alarms (parking brake, low air) on circuit breakers mounted to the steering column plastic cover, easy to pull the CB if a false alarm starts up...

I think I may have to add another one.... my 'stabilizer jacks down' warning beeper has been coming on randomly (jacks are physically up).. until I can identify the cause... bad switch somewhere??   Any info appreciated.

Ken

3 hours ago, Cubflyer said:

I have all my annoying alarms (parking brake, low air) on circuit breakers mounted to the steering column plastic cover, easy to pull the CB if a false alarm starts up...

I think I may have to add another one.... my 'stabilizer jacks down' warning beeper has been coming on randomly (jacks are physically up).. until I can identify the cause... bad switch somewhere??   Any info appreciated.

Ken

That's almost always a low fluid level in the jack reservoir.

22 hours ago, Bill R said:

Water Temp Sensor.jpg

I agree with Bill.
The buzzer, and any associated warning lights are likely triggered by a switch type sensor for oil pressure or temp.
Gauges use a linear type of sender, and are usually separate, at least on non-computer controlled gauge panels.