8D Chassis Battery Availability

burghere66

I'm looking for a Group Size 8D battery with 1400 cold cranking amps for my 02 Windsor motorhome.  For the last 20 years I have been buying one every 5 years or so at Sams Club.  Sams no longer carries the 8D.  I've found 4D's at a number of stores but I don't think they have enough cold cranking amps.  I can have one shipped in at a hefty price but I need it rather quickly.  On many of the newer MH's I've seen 2 heavy duty 12v connected in parallel.  I'm not sure if they will fit in the same space as the 8D.  I would like some suggestions on which batteries would work in place of the 8D as well as the cable size needed to connect them together?

Gary B.

2002 Windsor PBDD

• Like 1

I would switch over to two of the Group 31 batteries.  They last longer and provide better cranking power.  Your back will also appreciate the two group 31 vs one 8D.  

Measure your battery tray.  The  group 31 is 13" long by 6.75" wide and 9.5" tall.  

• Like 2

I bought mine from the local interstate battery distributor. It's been about two years ago so my guess is the price has gone up. I think I paid $250

https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/battery/semi-truck-coach-and-bus/sli8daft

Duracell label, $249 with store pickup.  Order on line and great discount 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, dholden_us said:

I ordered one from batteries plus only to show up at store and finding they were out of stock. Call before you go!

SUPPLY CHAIN!  Probably going to be worse when UPS goes on strike.  I'll be fine as long as they don't take my Amazon driver away.

Edited by TomV48

I would switch to the group 31.  BUT, there are two sizes.  There is an alpha code in the part number…. The 31M-HD has 950 CCA.  There is a 750 CCA, but you need the M…That gives you plenty of power to crank.  Your main cables will handle it.  
You need to order two jumpers to put in parallel…..BUT DO NOT WIRE THEM IN SERIES LIKE YOUR HOUSE…Positive to Positive and Negative to Negative.  You need a 00 or what is called a 2-0 or 2/0 jumper.  That is what is used on your House.  Your main cable is a 4/0.  This is NOT the same as a #2 guage jumper.

I would do that, assuming I had the room.  You can go to an outdoor supply house and purchase web strapping and buckles and such to fabricate the proper holddown….but they ain’t going anywhere.

NAPA used to sub contract EXIDE and they were good.  I would also buy an Interstate .  You need to find a buddy with a commercial account.  I paid $275, or maybe $250 TOTAL….2 BATTERIES….not each 2 years ago…. They last and I liked them. TROJAN is the only brand to buy for Deep Cycle house,,,,  you can always find an interstate dealer.  Try to find a distributor….they sell cheaper across the counter.

I just went through this a couple months ago.   I previously bought from Batteries Plus.

Checking around Sam's, Tractor Supply, Rural King, and the local coop didn't carry.

Interstate had one for +$300.  

Batteries Plus initially said they didn't have one and wanted to sell me an AGM for $700 YIKES, but I asked the salesman to check again and they found they did have an 8D (go figure) but it was +$280 and the store was ~30 miles away.

I checked and fount AutoZone carried $240, but had to order it from warehouse but would be there the next day.  I asked if I brought my coach there if they'd help get the old one out and install the new and they said yes, a win win for me.  So that's what I did.