Almost broke down..

2005 navigator D.D. Series 60 was on a trip from Fl. To Asheville N.C. about 200 miles into the trip was cruising up 95 at 65mph on cruise control. Everything has be running fine so far. I felt a little clunk it falls out of cruise control. All warning  lights on dash come on and engine shuts off!!  I coast to shoulder to check things. Everything looks fine. Tried to start just turned over. Checked fuses all good. Tried to start again turned over a long time and finally started. No warning lights on dash so I decided to try to drive off. Had a rough shift, warning lights flashed but kept going.

Made it another 300 miles to Asheville. One time it did a little jerk tag abs light flashed but didn't stall and kept running. Only other thing it did was fall out of cruise control a couple times. It's never done that before.

Heading back to Florida in a week. Any ideas or suggestions?  Thanks the group has always been very helpful..

Fuel filters are 14 months old. Probably about 10, 000 miles. Funny thing is turbo and boost all seams good. I claimed the blue Ridge mountains just fine like always.  Pulling a 10k trailer.. I have both filters with me. Can't hurt to change..

• Like 1

Sounds electrical to me. In my experience things that should be connected to the starting battery are sometimes connected to the coach battery, so check both.

First thing I would do is, not inspect, but remove all battery connections, clean and reinstall. After that an inspection of your battery cut-offs would be in order. One way to do this is, while coach is hot from running, place your hand on each switch to see if it is unusually warm. It may be getting old and have significantly more resistance than when new.

• Like 1

Guest Ray Davis
2 hours ago, 4rickyg said:

Fuel filters are 14 months old. Probably about 10, 000 miles. Funny thing is turbo and boost all seams good. I claimed the blue Ridge mountains just fine like always.  Pulling a 10k trailer.. I have both filters with me. Can't hurt to change..

I can tell you from experience that one fuel stop can change your world.   Busy truck stops are not much of a risk of getting bad fuel, but anywhere else, you never can tell.  Like I said I've gotten bad fuel and essentially paid for it twice,  first buying the fuel, second buying all of those filters.

Have you bought fuel at any questionable place?

Really,  as Jamie J above stated,  all of those lights don't sound fuel related.   I had about the same thing happen, it cleared up and has been fine since.  It's still a haunting memory tho,  so I drive with my fingers crossed.   It must work.

Lots of things.  First thing I would do and not spend a fortune….replace the ignition switch.  Easy fix.  Folks that can barely change a light bulb have done it.  Switch ## in Excel Parts List.  Download it.  Friend found the OEM on the Rev site or a little more than other places. Ordered it. Popped it in.  NO MORE ISSUES. This is the exact symptoms of the WorkHorse issues on older Winnie’s.  A fuel filter has been known to flash an ABS light at you. NEVER an entire engine shutdown….or at least my recollection.  A bad VIP or issue associated with cruise ain’t gonna shut down.  Maybe the fuel shutoff solenoid, but don’t know about the “clunk”. MAYBE the Chassis Disconnect switch.  You can replace BOTH switches for under $125…total or less.  Past that, you will need an factory certified ECM scan to see what codes were thrown.  

I’d replace two known and common failure items and drive on.  Does it again….scan.  Most good, factory certified techs, will have the REAL diagnostics (for your DD S 60).  Heck of a lot cheaper to have a good, dealer certified Mobile Tech, come rescue you than to risk towing by a cowboy tow truck operator.  If it needs moving…LOWBOY.  We have had too many instances of more damage done for a simple mobile tech fix to save money…

My thoughts.   Others may have specific knowledge.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 4rickyg said:

Thank you. I am thinking along the electrical side of things. Or a sensor?

If, not being an expert, you never got an OMG shutdown light…briefly and then shut down….and if itcranked OK, I’m of the single point electrical failure or Open (bad switch) circuit school.  A scan might tell you.  But the only two logical culprits are ignition (primary) and chassis battery (secondary). Your call.  Spend the money on two items that are already candidates for a good Preventive Maintenance program….or have it scanned.

Good luck.  Keep us posted.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, 4rickyg said:

Will definitely do the ignition switch. it seems a little worn out and suspect. Will try to look up the part #

I suspect you have a Borg Warner CS81 same as Advanced Auto 5971195 from a 1971 Chevy PU.  From a PREVIOUS post.  I THINK these are the ones with a hole for a large unbent paper clip.  Many YouTube Videos on how to install....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update. Made it home 500 miles without a glitch 😊😊.  When I replaced the fuel filters there was some trash on top of the filter and I was surprised how dirty they were for 14 months.. also changed ignition switch and cleaned battery cable's. I have a appointment at ocala Detroit next week to read codes. Will post it they find anything interesting. 

Thanks for the help!

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

During our trip to Alaska, we experienced our first break down. We lost everything in the dash and the engine just died. After sitting on the side of the road for six hours we determined that it was the cut off switch to the chassis battery. We connected the 2 cables together, eliminating the switch and bought a new cut off switch which required us to modify the panel in our 2002 Monaco Windsor. Unwilling to do that modification. We are waiting until we get home to find a replacement that is configured the same as the OEM. Any suggestions as to where to get a good replacement that connects on the outside of the panel in the right rear electrical door?

The Detroit Diesel shop thought the only thing that would make. The engine shut down. Was the ignition switch or to lose Is power from the batteries. Since no code showed up. If it does it again, I will eliminate the rear battery shut off switch like you did.

Heed Tom Cherry's advice and replace the Ignition switch and it will fix the problem. I have posted this previously on our old Yahoo Group and on this Forum. Monaco received a batch of defective Ignition Switches that were installed in 2004 thru 2006 Monaco Coaches built in Coburg. All the failures were exactly as your are experiencing. The affected coaches are the Dynasty, Executive, Signature, Beaver and Holiday Rambler and similar models manufactured from 2004 thru 2006 with either the DD60 or Cummins ISX or Cat engines.

It might be prudent if you have own one of the affected coaches and the Ignition switch has not been replaced to either replace it or purchase a new one to have on hand when the one in your coach fails. It takes about 45 minutes to replace.