2005 Diplomat - Automatic Entry Light? Is there on?

deputylynch

I'm sorry to ask what might be a stupid question and hope I'm just missing a switch somewhere but shouldn't there be some type of interior lights when I open the door to my Diplomat? It's totally dark upon entry until you find a switch to turn on the overhead lights. I've read the owner's manual and can't find anything about it even looked at wiring diagrams and can't figure it out. 

Here’s the sales brochure for the 05 Monaco Diplomat, read through it and see if it was available to order new.

https://recreationalvehicles.info/2005-monaco-diplomat/2005-monaco-diplomat-brochure.pdf

I believe they were standard on a Dynasty, that’s one of the benefits of buying a upper tier coach.

Edited by Jdw12345

On my 05 diplomat, there is a bank of 4 rocker switches on the right if you walk in the door. The switch on the far left is the one you are talking about.

And, the unlock button on the key fob turns on courtesy lights.

Edited by bklaes
Clarity

• Tom Cherry changed the title to 2005 Diplomat - Automatic Entry Light? Is there on?
7 hours ago, deputylynch said:

I'm sorry to ask what might be a stupid question and hope I'm just missing a switch somewhere but shouldn't there be some type of interior lights when I open the door to my Diplomat? It's totally dark upon entry until you find a switch to turn on the overhead lights. I've read the owner's manual and can't find anything about it even looked at wiring diagrams and can't figure it out. 

Read a lot of sales brochures and owners manuals to help folks.  There was a Keyless Fob entry option for the 2005 Diplomat. Typically that would also activate a 30 second timer which turned on the exterior or Porch light.  But on the lower food chain (maybe now), that is all it did. I fussed about it. So, my money, would be on NO.

BUT, I did install an LED “Indicator” light (like the other ones that are above a switch to tell you something is ON) right above the Interior Light Switch.  So, then you can just push the switch for the interior light.  That solved our problem.  The LED stays on when the Porch light is on…

My 2012 Diplomat does not have an automatic entry light.  I try to make a habit out of turning on the step lights when I leave the coach if I know I’ll be returning after dark.

I did make a mod to the keyless entry.  As others have mentioned, the porch light comes on when you unlock the door.  I found the Trimark module under the dash and ran a wire to the map light wire on the headlight switch.  Now, when I unlock the coach with the keyfob the porch light and map light (above driver seat) illuminate for about a minute.  That gives me time to get inside and find the other overhead switches.  

You would think that would be a standard feature just like all other vehicles.  At night when I have to lock or unlock the entrance door I have to feel around in the dark for the key pad until it lights up and then I can enter my key codes.  I ended up finding some rechargable LED lights and mounted one on the bottom of the entrance door and another under the dash facing the entrance.  I even have a couple of spare buttons on our Key Fobs that would be nice to activate the porch light and an interior light.

20210712_131708.jpg

20190203_181818.jpg

Edited by Mike H

The motion rechargeable led lights that Mike H showed are great! We got ours a couple years ago from Amazon.  In addition to the entry way, we have them installed just above the bathroom sink and also in the toilet room.

At night these provide plenty (almost too much) light and we don’t wake up the other person if we get up in the night.

• Thanks 1