Aquajet ARV 55 series pressure switch diaphram

jacwjames
Go to solution Solved by David Pratt,

I noticed water dripping under my drivers side slide, looked at obvious caused and finally found my Aquajet ARV 55 series pump dripping at the pressure switch diaphragm.  When I took it apart I found pieces of white scale.  My guess the diaphragm is leaking but can't really see an obvious place, but it would take much to result in a drip drip drip.

I went on the Aquajet web site and you can't buy just the diaphragm, you have to buy the whole pressure switch and pump end for $$$$ 

Did multiple searches and found a part number for just the pressure switch.  PSW 580R 60

A general search found this sold by multiple sources, I ended up buying from Tractor Supply, with shipping it was ~$35.   Considering I needed just the diaphragm it was hard to swallow but better then buying the whole head. 

I ordered the pressure switch and diaphragm a couple hours ago.  Won't know until I get it but pretty confident that the diaphragm is the problem.

In the mean time I've put a cut off valve on the end that attached to the water pump.  At least my rig is parked at home in the garage. 

Now working on he darn toilet that quit, when it rains it pours (or doesn't flush).

1 hour ago, jacwjames said:

I ordered the pressure switch and diaphragm a couple hours ago.  Won't know until I get it but pretty confident that the diaphragm is the problem.

In the mean time I've put a cut off valve on the end that attached to the water pump.  At least my rig is parked at home in the garage. 

Now working on he darn toilet that quit, when it rains it pours (or doesn't flush).

The original RV55 Pump, from AquaTec, was NOT "SUPPOSEDLY" Serviceable...PER TALKS with their Techs way back in 2011 or so.  I flooded my "Wet Bay" with septic water.  Killed the PUMP...would not run. So, later on when I got home, I decided to pull it apart.  OPPS...curious.  IT WORKS.  What GIVES...It was dead as a doornail, but 400 miles later works.  ON THE PHONE...Tech said...We DO NOT sell that assembly.  You HAVE to send in the pump.  We will install....and it has to FACTORY ADJUSTED...and we have the TEST RIG for that....  BUT, he went on...  Is it working?  YES!  Do you have good pressure? YES!.  DON'T MESS WITH IT...  You'll be SORRY.  The diaphragm control board has an adjustment "POT" on it.  If it is WORKING...LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE.

BUT, then he added.  We just sold or were going to sell the pump.  There was an ECN (Engineering Change Notice) in the works....DEAD NOW.  We knew that the pump was vulnerable in the BOTTOM.  So, we were changing the gasket and considering "sealing the COVER with RTV silicone".  Never got around to it.

He said that I had done the right thing....sprayed the board with WD-40 to remove the moisture.  Then sprayed with an ELECTRONIC Cleaner (MILD) and finally CANNED Clean Air.  OK...reassemble the cover and caulk or seal the gasket...if the Capacitors didn't get too cruddy, from the septic water, then it should work fine...which it did...  I only changed it out as my DW's LLC Farm  bought a new pump for me to winterize with RV Antifreeze, their farmhouse they were keeping, but intending to renovate...  BUT, they changed their minds...  I installed my NEW "freebie"  pump....and carry the old one as a spare.

OK....SOMETIMES I have stuff in my brain as well as STUFF in my files.  @David Pratt posted this a LONG time ago.  I actually COPIED it.  Here is the ORIGINAL installation instructions for a very OLD AquaTec AquaJet RV55 pump.  Read down to item 24 and 25. NOW, I do NOT know if the Pressure PCB was revised or what....but, as I said...and all the research that I could find...NOPE...NOT ADJUSTABLE.  The file is below.

My COMMENTS.  If the TSC Pump can be gutted and you steal the PCB and it looks like your old one and there IS an adjustment...try it the pump.  The AquaTec Tech said that every pump and it's diaphram were UNIQUE and were tuned or set at the factory...BUT...this is what AquaTec published years ago.  I WOULD tell you to also SEAL the cover.  I would also tell you to MOUNT it on a 2X whatever Pressure Treated wooden block or like Scotty H, use a plastic pad...and ISOLATE (Closed cell foam or a gasket or maybe 5 layers of HVAC tape or Commercial THICK Insulation tape) UNDER the pad mount....  Will run quieter and also be raised up...

That's my story...

Aqua+Jet+55RV+water+pump (1).pdf

19 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

The original RV55 Pump, from AquaTec, was NOT "SUPPOSEDLY" Serviceable...PER TALKS with their Techs way back in 2011 or so.  I flooded my "Wet Bay" with septic water.  Killed the PUMP...would not run. So, later on when I got home, I decided to pull it apart.  OPPS...curious.  IT WORKS.  What GIVES...It was dead as a doornail, but 400 miles later works.  ON THE PHONE...Tech said...We DO NOT sell that assembly.  You HAVE to send in the pump.  We will install....and it has to FACTORY ADJUSTED...and we have the TEST RIG for that....  BUT, he went on...  Is it working?  YES!  Do you have good pressure? YES!.  DON'T MESS WITH IT...  You'll be SORRY.  The diaphragm control board has an adjustment "POT" on it.  If it is WORKING...LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE.

BUT, then he added.  We just sold or were going to sell the pump.  There was an ECN (Engineering Change Notice) in the works....DEAD NOW.  We knew that the pump was vulnerable in the BOTTOM.  So, we were changing the gasket and considering "sealing the COVER with RTV silicone".  Never got around to it.

He said that I had done the right thing....sprayed the board with WD-40 to remove the moisture.  Then sprayed with an ELECTRONIC Cleaner (MILD) and finally CANNED Clean Air.  OK...reassemble the cover and caulk or seal the gasket...if the Capacitors didn't get too cruddy, from the septic water, then it should work fine...which it did...  I only changed it out as my DW's LLC Farm  bought a new pump for me to winterize with RV Antifreeze, their farmhouse they were keeping, but intending to renovate...  BUT, they changed their minds...  I installed my NEW "freebie"  pump....and carry the old one as a spare.

OK....SOMETIMES I have stuff in my brain as well as STUFF in my files.  @David Pratt posted this a LONG time ago.  I actually COPIED it.  Here is the ORIGINAL installation instructions for a very OLD AquaTec AquaJet RV55 pump.  Read down to item 24 and 25. NOW, I do NOT know if the Pressure PCB was revised or what....but, as I said...and all the research that I could find...NOPE...NOT ADJUSTABLE.  The file is below.

My COMMENTS.  If the TSC Pump can be gutted and you steal the PCB and it looks like your old one and there IS an adjustment...try it the pump.  The AquaTec Tech said that every pump and it's diaphram were UNIQUE and were tuned or set at the factory...BUT...this is what AquaTec published years ago.  I WOULD tell you to also SEAL the cover.  I would also tell you to MOUNT it on a 2X whatever Pressure Treated wooden block or like Scotty H, use a plastic pad...and ISOLATE (Closed cell foam or a gasket or maybe 5 layers of HVAC tape or Commercial THICK Insulation tape) UNDER the pad mount....  Will run quieter and also be raised up...

That's my story...

Aqua+Jet+55RV+water+pump (1).pdf 59.02 kB · 4 downloads

I recently (2 weeks ago) had a conversation with Aquajet's support folks due to a leak that has developed in the housing (see pic) on our 55 ARV pump (installed by PO about 4 years ago). They told me the pump & housing is not serviceable "due to the internal chip that is tested/programmed to the specific pump & has to be set at the factory".

I find that incredibly curious (perhaps unbelievable)! It seems they're saying that their manufacturing parameters/tolerances have such a wide variance that the chip in every pump has to be uniquely tweaked so that the pump performs correctly. Hmmm . . . not buying their script!

After searching extensively for the pump cover we finally bit the bullet on a new 55 ARV. Now I have a spare 55 ARV for parts (other than the cover).

20230721_124227.jpg

31 minutes ago, Newcsn said:

I recently (2 weeks ago) had a conversation with Aquajet's support folks due to a leak that has developed in the housing (see pic) on our 55 ARV pump (installed by PO about 4 years ago). They told me the pump & housing is not serviceable "due to the internal chip that is tested/programmed to the specific pump & has to be set at the factory".

I find that incredibly curious (perhaps unbelievable)! It seems they're saying that their manufacturing parameters/tolerances have such a wide variance that the chip in every pump has to be uniquely tweaked so that the pump performs correctly. Hmmm . . . not buying their script!

After searching extensively for the pump cover we finally bit the bullet on a new 55 ARV. Now I have a spare 55 ARV for parts (other than the cover).

20230721_124227.jpg

Fascinating.  Remco was really IN THE DARK when they bought the AquaTec rights.  There was no technical support or anything.  I last talked to AquaTec in 2011, as best as I can recall.  AquaTec was still manufacturing for them.  AquaTec also had a commercial version for insecticide and other spraying applications where you needed a fairly high volume and pressure..  FWIW..  Home systems have a typical 5 GPM max flow at maybe 60 PSI.  Commercial lawn services use these pumps, thus TSC sells them.  I have no knowledge if Remco Is still sourcing from AquaTec or offshore.  But, your comments about the “tech support” and doubting the veracity of the content seems to be the case.  Since I haven’t touched mine since 2015 when I put in the freebie, does yours also have the 4screw cover under the housing belly?  The original ones did and there was a PCB with a small “POT” or potentiometer on it…which I left alone per the tech.

They may be outsourcing ….  Who knows.  But the company line of not messing with the pressure adjustment was legitimate….

Thanks for the info….

57 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

Fascinating.  Remco was really IN THE DARK when they bought the AquaTec rights.  There was no technical support or anything.  I last talked to AquaTec in 2011, as best as I can recall.  AquaTec was still manufacturing for them.  AquaTec also had a commercial version for insecticide and other spraying applications where you needed a fairly high volume and pressure..  FWIW..  Home systems have a typical 5 GPM max flow at maybe 60 PSI.  Commercial lawn services use these pumps, thus TSC sells them.  I have no knowledge if Remco Is still sourcing from AquaTec or offshore.  But, your comments about the “tech support” and doubting the veracity of the content seems to be the case.  Since I haven’t touched mine since 2015 when I put in the freebie, does yours also have the 4screw cover under the housing belly?  The original ones did and there was a PCB with a small “POT” or potentiometer on it…which I left alone per the tech.

They may be outsourcing ….  Who knows.  But the company line of not messing with the pressure adjustment was legitimate….

Thanks for the info….

Tom - Quick clarification. I misspoke, I actually visited w/ Remco tech support, not Aquajet/Aquatech. Sorry about the confusion!

Also, I haven’t disassembled the old pump, so I can’t answer your question regardless PCB/POT. Here’s a couple more pics of the old pump. Not sure if this is helpful. Thanks

IMG_0495.jpeg

IMG_0496.jpeg

1 hour ago, Newcsn said:

Tom - Quick clarification. I misspoke, I actually visited w/ Remco tech support, not Aquajet/Aquatech. Sorry about the confusion!

Also, I haven’t disassembled the old pump, so I can’t answer your question regardless PCB/POT. Here’s a couple more pics of the old pump. Not sure if this is helpful. Thanks

IMG_0495.jpeg

IMG_0496.jpeg

I'm having a senior moment here and my spare is in the MH.  I googled and found some of the older ones on ebay, but not with detailed pictures. I THOUGHT that the pressure regulator was on the bottom and the current pump does not "look right".  Maybe someone will post a picture of the original Aquatec Aquajet ORV...that is what it was called.  I don't have a PDF of the installation manual of it and all the cached Aquatec sites or posts out there are 404  NON EXISTENT..

Will be interesting if you tear into it.  My memory was that it was directly UNDER the housing and therefore really subject to water penetration...maybe the 4 screw cap..

BUT, I agree with your conclusions.  I also don't know if Remco is outsourcing or whatever.  I guess Jim' TSC pump will be an interesting experiment.  From what I recall, Aquatec was also a major supplier of pumps for Water Water (dosing for chemical solution feeding ) pumps and agricultural. They were designed for agriculture being 12 VDC and having 60 PSI and a full 5.5 GPM....about the same a residential well, if you have a single 5 GPM household filter...which is the norm for maybe 95% of the wells or systems in the US for homes today...

They do sell the whole end for my pump, which looks like yours, there is a parts page on there website.  https://remcoindustries.com/pump-products/parts-accessories/pump-replacement-parts/

5503-1X77   5500 Series, 5.3 GPM w Pressure Switch - 3/4"

I didn't need the whole end and after digging found the number for just the pressure switch.  I believe that will fix my problem as when I took it loose there was some water in it where the diaphragm had been leaking.  It was a slow drip but over time the water finally found its way out of the compartment and was dripping 1 1/2 compartments down.  

They do sell the whole end for my pump, which looks like yours, there is a parts page on there website.  https://remcoindustries.com/pump-products/parts-accessories/pump-replacement-parts/

5503-1X77   5500 Series, 5.3 GPM w Pressure Switch - 3/4"

I didn't need the whole end and after digging found the number for just the pressure switch.  I believe that will fix my problem as when I took it loose there was some water in it where the diaphragm had been leaking.  It was a slow drip but over time the water finally found its way out of the compartment and was dripping 1 1/2 compartments down.  

Thanks for the follow up Jim! I suspect those parts may be somewhat interchangeable. However, mine was not a “threaded” configuration - it had the push-in connections. Also, it appears they want about $100 for that little booger! Oh well, now I have some spare parts. Man, I hope I never need them!!!

48 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

I thought that I linked the Push-in type, that's what I have.  They list either or. 

The ORIGINAL REMCO...which is actually what I bought circa 2015 or so...DID come with the Push In or "Don't Screw With Me" connectors....and SOME distriubtors, per the Remco Sales Agent, were "Robbing them out" and selling them as an Accessory.  I got mine in the OEM Box and it had the snap in connectors so it was a slam dunk fit.  

TO FURTHER Complicate this...then when Scotty Hutton went down this path earlier this spring...or I might be wrong...he had to order the Check Valve, which was removed as many MH Vendors had physical check valves in their plumbing...so the RV55 was Double Checked..

The Pumps I looked at online appeared to have the NPT Threaded fittings...so if you have the Quick Install fittings or the sliding/snap in ones with O-RIngs, you either had to order those fitting and replace...or you "Got OUT the wrenches"  That all sound complicated...but it was an evolution and now Remco apparaently sells many types depending what the OEM wants and we (us) have to see what will work or what we want to make work in our applications...

I was told by Remco to be aware that other pumps especially the Agriculture pumps and I think they even state it on their pumps that they are not potable drinking water pumps because of the type of rubber used. It will eventually get bacteria growing on it. I replaced mine in FL last March. FWIW 

12 hours ago, tmw188 said:

I was told by Remco to be aware that other pumps especially the Agriculture pumps and I think they even state it on their pumps that they are not potable drinking water pumps because of the type of rubber used. It will eventually get bacteria growing on it. I replaced mine in FL last March. FWIW 

My pump is "hammering" loudly.  So I'm looking for a new one before this one dies.  And putting a closed cell pad underneath when the time comes.  I'm still confused about how to identify a pump for potable water.  I don't drink it or make coffee with campsite water, but I'll brush my teeth, etc, so want to avoid the bacteria prone ones.  We don't boondock hardly ever... the pump gets used mainly on travel days. 

When I had to replace my pump I ordered from a store that specialized in water systems and the pump I ordered specifically indicated for RV use.  I would be very disappointed if any of the components weren't made for human consumption.  https://www.freshwatersystems.com/products/remco-powerrv-aquajet-55aquajet-arv-pump-5-3-gpm-12vdc

Remco has the license and marketing rights to the RV version or the OLD Aquatec AquaJet ORV (55?) pump.  Aquatec, I think, still sells a pump that was similar in design....but was NOT for potable water and was used in spraying and other applications (like me wanting to winterize the plumbing in a deserted house).  As to the PRESSURE regulator or interchangeability...  NO IDEA...  BUT, there DOES have to be some type of "pressure sensing" orifice or cavity or stem (like a conventional home well pump pressure switch)...so swapping out a pressure regulating circuit from a Commercial (non potable) to a RV (Potable) might carry some risks....or maybe not.  Obvioulsy the diaphragm and other internal rubber or plastic materials were designed and specified for the RV version.  How many of them are different in the Commercial is an unknown...

• Solution

The new Remco-Aquajet 55RV water pump can still be adjusted. When you are looking at the head of the pump-(refer to pictures in prior post), The flat cover on the lower left of the head is the pressure switch and the Switch cover with the wires connected to it on the right of the head is the cut off switch. They both have an Allen screw for adjustment. The left one is 3/32" hex and the right one is 1/16". The older pumps had the electronics mounted on the head of the pump. in the later pumps they moved the electronics under the pump and sealed it with a gasket and cover plate. TOn the new Aquatec pumps the electronics are still mounted under the motor, but are sealed in Epoxy.

There is no electronics in the head, the switch that has the wires connected to it is just a micro-switch to turn on and shut off the motor.

The post from Tom Cherry with the instructions to adjust the pump to stop it from pulsing is the same with the new pumps. Remco seals the Allen adjusting screws with RTV. Just pick the RTV out to adjust. I have replaced at least four Water Pumps with the Aquajet 55RV and have had to adjust everyone after installation.

I am attaching a Drawing of the mounting pad I designed to mount my Water Pump. It will eliminate almost all the noise from the pump. Make sure when you install the pump that you install flexible looped water lines to and from the pump. The installation of the coiled flex line will help eliminate the Hammering.

I have also included pictures of the Water Pump Installation in our coach.

Water Pump Installation 2.jpg

Water Pump Installation 3.jpg

Water Pump Installation.jpg

Water Pump Pad.pdf

• Like 1

Since I have my pump out waiting on the pressure switch I decided to try and do something to make it easier to reinstall and also isolated the pump from the wall.  The PO of my coach mounted up high on the forward wall of the compartment it was originally installed.  This freed up the area that he installed 2 drawers in which are great for storing water hoses and power cables.  But it ain't easy to remove and install the pump.

The pump does have rubber isolation grommets but my the time the pump is firmly mounted it is compressing the grommets and the pump makes contact with whatever surface it is mounted to.

So I decided to mount it on a piece of Pergo flooring I had which has the foam padding on the back.  I also used a couple strips of foam gasket material between the pump and the Pergo, and then added a couple more strips on the bottom of the Pergo.  When I mount it I should be able to push the pump up to the ceiling and the put screws through the Pergo.  Once I get one screw in it I will be able to more easily put the other 3 screws to mount it to the wall. 

Water Pump mounted on Pergo.jpg

Water pump isolation pad.jpg

I wanted to let this thread play out a bit before adding my 2 cents because it’s not on point for the OP.

I know it’s kind of blasphemy here because that AquaJet is so well respected, but I found that I was replacing the pump every 3-5 years with half-time use (we normally travel 6 months a year), both before and after the Remco deal. Pressure switch, diaphragm, housing leaks, fitting leaks; all of the above. And it started getting quite expensive, especially to carry a spare because it might be needed at inconvenient times.

I found a smaller SeaFlo pump in a marine store that was interchangeable in installation. It’s 3.5 GPM, but we’ve found that it supplies plenty of pressure and flow for us (I guess we typically don’t both use the water at the same time). At $55 initially, I bought a spare after a couple of years and the CW price had increased to $65. Still running strong after 7 years. Bottom line: if you’re a little adventurous and thrifty, there are more affordable options.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, georgecederholm said:

I wanted to let this thread play out a bit before adding my 2 cents because it’s not on point for the OP.

I know it’s kind of blasphemy here because that AquaJet is so well respected, but I found that I was replacing the pump every 3-5 years with half-time use (we normally travel 6 months a year), both before and after the Remco deal. Pressure switch, diaphragm, housing leaks, fitting leaks; all of the above. And it started getting quite expensive, especially to carry a spare because it might be needed at inconvenient times.

I found a smaller SeaFlo pump in a marine store that was interchangeable in installation. It’s 3.5 GPM, but we’ve found that it supplies plenty of pressure and flow for us (I guess we typically don’t both use the water at the same time). At $55 initially, I bought a spare after a couple of years and the CW price had increased to $65. Still running strong after 7 years. Bottom line: if you’re a little adventurous and thrifty, there are more affordable options.

NO…you have not committed a sin and do NOT need to go to confession and seek penance….it works for you.  Others of us have a different situation and “the mileage might vary”.  AquaTec replaced my OEM…as they did for a fellow Camelot owner, within the first year (2009 purchase…new or we are original owners). So, i got a pump in late 2009.

I got my freebie Remco “packaged” spare in 2015.  In 2018, I had a “failure”.  NOT the replacement 2009 pump…but the INLINE fuse holder on it.  I had to pull it.  I had, gainst my gut instinct, left on the Aftermarket Inline 10A fuse holder…the OEM is fused in the MH…and i DUAL protected it.  Since it was out and 9 years old, I swapped it out.  NO INLINE FUSE.  At that time, I had averaged 6K per year and 60 NIGHTS per year…or 600 nights out.  I had even flooded the bay with septic water and lost it…but then it came back from the dead and I cleaned the lower PCB that Pratt commented on…. Like a Timex…it took a REAL licking snd kept on ticking…

It was as good when I pulled it as it was when I installed it.  My “Remco” pump that is in use now was actually an AquaTec pump…who knows now.

Most folks have upgraded from the older external pressure switch and impeller pumps to the diaphragm and chose the Remco.  Now…whether or not the current or maybe a few years older ones were still made by Aquatec…I know not.  But we have a vast number of them. 

If the Shurflo works for you and supplies you with adequate flow for your MH & lifestyle….that is great and some may want the model number…  BUT the reason we have topics here is based on the number of folks with the “AquaJet” design and yes….they like anything else may or will fail.  Not to disrespect you….but we have had posters over the years defame the Shurflo and rave about the AquaJet.  The street runs both ways and traffic varies.

Once again, we all learn and form opinions by individuals and your experience is great…keep posting things that you learn.  The only “guidance” we moderators follow is that if someone posts something that is unsafe or goes against accepted practices or could be misinterpreted….we may elect to edit or clarify for the safety of the group.  Your comments are certainly not of that nature and are welcomed…

So I finally received the new switch & diaphragm.  I didn't install the switch but just used the new diaphragm. 

Leak is fixed.

An the new mounting method I installed resulted in a much quieter pump, can hardly hear it when water is running.  The combination of foam and pergo board worked and was easier to mount. 

3 hours ago, jacwjames said:

So I finally received the new switch & diaphragm.  I didn't install the switch but just used the new diaphragm. 

Leak is fixed.

An the new mounting method I installed resulted in a much quieter pump, can hardly hear it when water is running.  The combination of foam and pergo board worked and was easier to mount. 

Wonderful.  You did, IMHO, the easiest and simplest and best.  Good luck.

• 1 month later...

So this thread is ~7 weeks old. 

I had installed the diaphram and tested the pump to make sure it worked and looked for leaks, at that time everything was good to go.  I tested it for 3 days. 

Today I was set to leave and wanted to wash my sewer hose so I turned on the switch for the water pump  NOTHING.  So unpacked the bay where the pump is mounted up high and tapped on the pressure switch and the pump started but didn't sound right and wouldn't pump water. So I removed the pump to be able to remove the pressure switch, when I did the pressure switch fell off in pieces. 

OK, No problem I had a new pressure switch so I replaced.  the pump started but won't shut off so I tried to adjust the pressure switch set screw.  Well I couldn't find the right size allen wrench so I called REMCO and told him what I needed "How to adjust the pressure switch"   the service tech said I couldn't it had to be set at the factory on a test stand, it was a 9 step process.   He asked how old the pump was, ~10 years, he said "whats the problem, 10 years out of a pump is great"

I pushed him and he was emphatic, the pressure can not be field set.  He did finally tell me it took a 1/16" allen wrench.  So I went to Lowes and bought one and played with trying to set the pressure to no avail.  If I start the pump by turning on a faucet it won't shut off when I shut off the faucet, doesn't seem like it's building enough pressure.   But if I turn the pump off and then back on it starts. but it pulses. 

So for now I'll just have to turn the pump on and off when I need it. 

Has anyone been able to adjust the pressure on a Aquajet 55 series pump????  If so how did you do it.