Importance of corner weighing

So many here have said to weigh each corner. I’ve never really had the time till there was an open state scale last week. 

I weighed all 4 corners, and the front was 150 lbs difference. 

The back however, 900 lbs difference from right to left (passenger/driver) 

I was a bit floored. The washer dryer are passenger side, but no match for the bedroom slide obviously. 

according to the tire chart, I should be at 80 lbs passenger and 95 lbs driver. 

I’m going to set that, and give it a whirl.

Guest Ray Davis
25 minutes ago, JDCrow said:

according to the tire chart, I should be at 80 lbs passenger and 95 lbs driver. 

I’m going to set that, and give it a whirl.

I'm pretty sure you're supposed to set all the tires on an axle to the pressure for the heaviest side, which is 95 psi on both sides in your case.

I know, it seems odd but that's the prevailing thinking.

28 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

I'm pretty sure you're supposed to set all the tires on an axle to the pressure for the heaviest side, which is 95 psi on both sides in your case.

I know, it seems odd but that's the prevailing thinking.

Yeah see my post right after. Went to Manual and posted that. 95 it is. 

Good job, JD!

Ray is correct, after corner weighing always inflate the cold psi using the heaviest corner for that axle.

900 lbs is quite excessive but not unheard of by other Monacoers members.

I did corner weights on my Windsor twice, once in 2010 and again in 2012.

Weights as of October 2012.

Total full weight of the coach.
Front = 13,200 lbs. With people and dog.
Rear = 23,200 lbs.

After doing the math here are my corner weights.
Left front = 6,500 lbs.
Right front = 6,700 lbs.
Left rear = 11,640 lbs.
Right rear = 11560 lbs.

The weights I had back in April of 2010 were:

Left front = 6,340 lbs. Without people and dogs.
Right front = 6,400 lbs.
Left rear = 11,080 lbs.
Right rear = 11,320 lbs.

50 minutes ago, bobdinsmore said:

I've weighed my RV on public scales at truck stops, but it is one axle at a time, not corner weights. I have not been able to find here can I get corner weights other than at an RV rally.

Dr4Film: What do you mean by "after doing the math"? What is the math?

LOL 

I can’t weigh all corners separately, the scale has a shack. 

So weigh the passenger corners, then the whole axle and the math……subtract the passenger side from the total to get the driver side corners. 

• Like 1

Guest Ray Davis
12 hours ago, JDCrow said:

Yeah see my post right after. Went to Manual and posted that. 95 it is. 

Yes, I read the page from your manual and realized you were clarifying that the tire pressures should be the same.  In no way did I intend to be calling you out. However, I wasn't sure how clear it would be to others who might not read the page and to future readers.  So, I thought I would throw in my 2 cents hoping it may help someone.

6 minutes ago, bobdinsmore said:

JD, thanks for the procedure. This is the first time I have seen it.

6 minutes ago, bobdinsmore said:

JD, thanks for the procedure. This is the first time I have seen it.

Sorry I just reread your post I came across as an @$$ 

Anyway, yeah state truck scales have room to get over usually 

21 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

Yes, I read the page from your manual and realized you were clarifying that the tire pressures should be the same.  In no way did I intend to be calling you out. However, I wasn't sure how clear it would be to others who might not read the page and to future readers.  So, I thought I would throw in my 2 cents hoping it may help someone.

No worries at all, my brain moves way to fast and thus my thumbs  get to tapping before logic catches up. See the poor soul and my math post above ugggg

Edited by JDCrow
Spelling

27 minutes ago, Chuck B 2004 Windsor said:

The last time I looked, most All truck stops has a scale.  Unless your wallet is glued in you hip pocket, spend a little money and get your coach weighed.

Chuck B, 2004 Windsor

We have zero truck stops in our town. In fact none in a several 100 mile radius. Only scales are state scales, and they leave them on 24/7 

8 hours ago, bobdinsmore said:

Dr4Film: What do you mean by "after doing the math"? What is the math?

I do two weights. First one is with the coach fully on the scales weighting the front axle and the rear axle at the same time. They do a print of that weight. The second weighing is only a few dollars more so I back the coach up and place one side of the coach on the same scales with the other side OFF the scales. Where I did this was at the Rotten Robbie Truck Center in Santa Nella on the I-5 freeway in California. After doing the math for each axle - take total axle weight minus the one side axle weight, you end up with your corner weights.

• Like 2

We recently went to an FMCA rally where a vendor does individual corner weighing.  You drive onto the weights and he does the measurements.  We supplied our coach specs including axle capacities, tire sizes/brand/air pressures maintained, etc.  In our coach he found that the tag axle was lightly (about 50%) loaded while the steer axle was about 95% loaded.  The drive axle had no issues.  Putting any more weight on the tag would also put more weight on the steer axle due to the pendulum effect.  There was also a side to side difference which he stated was inherent with slide coaches due to the kitchens which typically is about 900lbs which you can't do anything about.  His report makes recommendations as to tire pressures you can maintain, etc.  This exercise did cause us to reflect on the contents and arrangement of our gear.  Cost was $70 USD.

• Like 1

I just weighed our coach this morning at the CAT Scale, but they don't do individual corners. With a full tank of fuel and 1/3-tank of water, this is what it came in at.

Monaco LaPalma Weight Ticket.jpg

Edited by FLynes
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bruce S said:

This is what a individual wheel weight scale looks like...  The vendor we dealt with had 4 of these scales which were positioned ahead of our wheels and then we drove on top of them.  He had to weigh our tag axle separately...

IMG_3534.thumb.JPG.aaf2741bacc4ed57079b297d1a9decc8.JPG

I wish we had something like that around here, but I haven’t found it so far.

2 hours ago, FLynes said:

I just weighed our coach this morning at the CAT Scale, but they don't do individual corners. With a full tank of fuel and 1/3-tank of water, this is what it came in at.

Monaco LaPalma Weight Ticket.jpg

Look up the specs.  There  is a plate for the tires.  Also in the sales brochure.  No commercial scales have corner weights.  There is a procedure.  Drive back to the scale…HOPEFULLY it is not an elevated pad…as you drive up norm does it have guard rails on the side.  Just flat and wide open.  Then you drive one side…doesn’t matter on the scale pad….just like you did before.  Let them weigh that.  Just make sure you have Steer and Drive on different pads…like on your scale sheet.

Then, do the math.  Subtract the side weight from the total. SO, if drive on and out the Road or Driver’s side on the pad, you have the weights for that side.  Do your subtraction….that is the weights or corner weights for the CURB side….now you have corner weights.

In reality, this is the most accurate method.  The portable devices are good for a “general” number, but rarely are as accurate as a certified scale.

The rule of thumb….the side to side, each end should be close…HOW MUCH…nary a number published.  10% would be good…20%…start rearranging.  You are supposed to NOT exceed the total weight capacity of each axle. Unfortunately Monaco did not publish the 2003 year brochure or manual…so, look at the tire plate.

You do need to do some “Kentucky” windage.  The fuel tanks should be full and also your fresh water and all the gear and your “crew”….say yourself and the copilot.  So, look where the fuel tanks is.  In your case, add about 500 pounds (say 60 gal more  X 8.3 pounds per gallon) to whichever axle will be carrying the additional fresh weight.

Then, you pick the highest corner….that is the weight you use to look up the psi in your tire inflation table.  Most find where they fall …and go up to the net  5 Pound weight.

Too bad I can’t weigh it on just one side…there’s an arch between the two pads preventing that from happening.

FLynes,

4 ideas for weighing your coach:

1) Gravel yards.   Around here most have deck scales and enough room to get one side or the other off the scales.  
2) Trash centers.   Trash trucks are charged by the ton, so most have scales.

3) Scrap metal yards.   Would be my last resort and a definite scout trip before driving my unit there. Big no if messy. 
4) Contact your state patrol.   Some have commercial enforcement units that will come out or meet you somewhere predetermined that is level have portable scales and don't mind helping out.    It's kind of a nice break from arguing with a trucker.  

Good luck  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, FLynes said:

Too bad I can’t weigh it on just one side…there’s an arch between the two pads preventing that from happening.

What folks usually do is to scout out scales.  Google and call or else drive out there in a car.  There are many scales, maybe 50% that I have observed at truck stops over the years that have a flat scale pad with the driveway or surface and NO side guard rails. Even one with the guard rails on one side will work.

I would look at my weights...and see how close I am.  IF you are not that close....then divide the axle (steer) and look up the inflation pressure.  Then go to the NEXT 5 pound increment...that is a safety factor.  I'm sure that you have read some of the tire pressues topics and understand that most folks do NOT go under 90 PSI on the tires and that seems to be the minumum...despite what the tables say.

That's it.  Find another scale where you can drive on one side....then reweigh and use your scale ticket for both and do the math.

Let us know what you do and find out.