Macerator blades

Georgia Mike

My waste macerator hasn’t been working so great since I purchased the Coach so I decided to take it out and apart and this is what I found. I can’t believe it was pumping anything at all. It was totally plugged up and the plastic gear was totally designated. Anyways I have looked around on line for the little stainless steel blades but can’t find them. The ones I took off seem to be ok but I would rather replace since I have it apart. Anyone have a link?

67BE3337-56E8-4764-884C-40300CC0A3BA.jpeg

EADFCC52-B0BD-4883-989F-34265DCFFBDB.jpeg

3 hours ago, Georgia Mike said:

My waste macerator hasn’t been working so great since I purchased the Coach so I decided to take it out and apart and this is what I found. I can’t believe it was pumping anything at all. It was totally plugged up and the plastic gear was totally designated. Anyways I have looked around on line for the little stainless steel blades but can’t find them. The ones I took off seem to be ok but I would rather replace since I have it apart. Anyone have a link?

67BE3337-56E8-4764-884C-40300CC0A3BA.jpeg

EADFCC52-B0BD-4883-989F-34265DCFFBDB.jpeg

Congratulations....you have the MOST CLOGGED UP AND MESSED UP Sanicon that I have ever seen....and I have been one of the folks that often helped out folks.  OMG....that is a mess.

As to the comments....  HAIR is the PLAGUE.  NOW, don't think that is a "Sanicon" flaw.  The most worked on, per a very knowledgeable electrical contractor that did residential and commercial work, "thing" in a municipal Waste Water Treatment plant....the "Macerator".  These were up to 75, maybe 100 HP units....not the "toys we have.  WHY... HAIR.  Hair strands do NOT dissolve (dig up a body...LOL).  The amount of hair loss, especially as you get older, is phenominal.  OK...in a Motor Home, if you have pets....their shedded hair gets tracked into the SHOWER.  

I talked to one of the "developmental techs" that helped with the prototypes of the Sanicon and was a Tech Support guy.  He was running a distributorship and I bought a lot of "spare stuff".  He said that HAIR will kill it.  OK, let your grandson, who's dad told him to collect the metal aluminum drink can "tear offs" or to TEAR THEM off...and he stuffed his pocket with one...and it got "flushed" and ended up in mine....YES... a solid object will shut you down...but the MOST common failure....  THE HAIR.

So, the tech told me....buy a 1.75" (memory" flexible bowl hair strainer.  It has a SS bowl that will drop down into most RV shower drains.  I popped the top of mine.  Put in the strainer.  YES...you will have to clean it maybe once a week....depending.  We have pure or almost pure large area rugs.  THEY shed.  My GD's long blonde hair sheds.  I shed.  My wife sheds....  BUT, once I added that say 11 years ago....I have NEVER had to takee apart and cuttee the hair.  That is ACTUALLY what the Tech told me....that they recommended, to customers, that they pop the top off the impeller and cut off the hair.  BUT, if you add the strainer...and clean it....no need.

I actually "upgraded" the motor in mine.  There is a paper in the file on how to do that.  You get a major increase in GPM of output....Use the search if interested...

I don't have a link for the stainless blades but I did replace the impellor and gasket on my box mount Sanicon in my 2007 Dynasty.  The impellor and gasket were Thetford part #70475. The unit inside the box was labeled Shurflo and matches up to a Shurflo 62-5800, The Shurflo gasket/impellor kit is part # 94-571-00.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

From what I've read, the Shurflo impeller kit for the 1st generation Sani Con is discontinued ☹️

5 months ago I picked up a kit from eBay for $25.49 plus tax from a marine store.  Looks like the price has gone up substantially now, but I believe this and the similar listings are the same parts:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/264225299069

BTW, the motor bearings are typical roller blade bearings.  I replaced those 5 years ago.  I take mine apart and clean / inspect at least once a year, sometimes twice a year.  Simple preventative maintenance.

Screenshot_20231027-101357.thumb.png.51316d9a155cfd23c0b6bb4084534153.png

Edited by amphi_sc
Formatting issue
  • Like 2

On 10/27/2023 at 12:11 PM, 96 EVO said:

When I heard this news I went checking.

The store I purchased my last impeller kit from, and a few others, showed... 'Out Of Stock'.

A few years ago I decided to buy a spare impeller for my Sanicon.  I felt Sanicon was charging way too much, so I did some research l. I found these Jabsco impellers that are the exact same dimensions as the Sanicon - they probably buy theirs from Jabsco.  I don’t know if neoprene or nitrile is a better material l.

IMG_4284.jpeg

10 minutes ago, dandick66 said:

A few years ago I decided to buy a spare impeller for my Sanicon.  I felt Sanicon was charging way too much, so I did some research l. I found these Jabsco impellers that are the exact same dimensions as the Sanicon - they probably buy theirs from Jabsco.  I don’t know if neoprene or nitrile is a better material l.

IMG_4284.jpeg

I don’t know why these photos always come out so blurry.  I converted them from PNG to JPEG, but they’re still blurry.  Anyway, here’s a link to the impellers on Amazon.  The dimensions are the exact same as the Sanicon.  No gasket, but you could either make a new one or re-use the old one.

https://tinyurl.com/29vh55nu

• 2 weeks later...

My Sanicon motor stopped working recently.    When I tried to replace it, everywhere showed the part was discontinued.   However, it appears the PART NUMBER has been discontinued NOT the entire pump.   Found the exact pump with a different part number.     Will rebuild the old one for a spare.    Had to use the stinky slinky to empty the tanks.    Not again.   I enjoy people staring when I use the sanicon wearing flip flops and no gloves.  Much cleaned and safer with zero drips.   

B87CC3B1-7527-4B14-B2F4-A5F7914C232C.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Dbircky said:

I enjoy people staring when I use the sanicon wearing flip flops and no gloves.  Much cleaned and safer with zero drips.   

B87CC3B1-7527-4B14-B2F4-A5F7914C232C.jpeg

Yeah, told one neighbour watching me attaching it to the sewer...... 'That my wife and myself only take little skinny poop's' 😂!

1 hour ago, Jdw12345 said:

I thought my inlet size was larger than 1 1/2”, maybe not…….

There's an adapter piece that screws into the 1 1/2" threaded inlet that the normal sized sewer hose slips over and is clamped onto, and that adapter usually also has the little grey water bypass tube.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Great information guys!  I love my sanicon system and will never have a stinky slinky again!  

Regarding the shower drain, my wife found these a couple years ago. We use them in every shower drain in our city, lake and Monaco houses.  They are cheap and work great!  My wife has long hair which can be especially troublesome in these situations.  

IMG_0030.thumb.JPG.a81e03c70fdb05b3889d114fb8eb2ade.JPG

Simple, yet very effective design. 

IMG_0029.thumb.JPG.a335b8b3a5d28c44ad6d59e731723317.JPG

Found ours on Amazon:

Framendino, 14 Pack Flower Shape Shower Drain Sink Remover Hair Filter Chain Hook Flower Drain Hair Catcher Drain Clog Remover Tool - Amazon.com