Analog instrument cluster backlighting

Steve P

The backlights on my individual analog gages such as rpms speedometer etc. are not working.  The headlights work,andy overhead light work when you twist the knob to the left although it is a little flaky and stubborn.  I checked the front run bay driver side fuses - the dash gauge fuse and the panel lamp fuse and both are good.  I'm studying The wiring diagrams to see if it could be anything else other than the headlight switch. Maybe someone with prior experience could offer advice?  Or ask me diagnostic questions? 

Humble thanks, 

Steve

23 minutes ago, Steve P said:

The backlights on my individual analog gages such as rpms speedometer etc. are not working.  The headlights work,andy overhead light work when you twist the knob to the left although it is a little flaky and stubborn.  I checked the front run bay driver side fuses - the dash gauge fuse and the panel lamp fuse and both are good.  I'm studying The wiring diagrams to see if it could be anything else other than the headlight switch. Maybe someone with prior experience could offer advice?  Or ask me diagnostic questions? 

Humble thanks, 

Steve

Look on page 182.  IF Swap or put a new 10 amp fuse in position F25.  IF that don't do it....then there is either a BAD headlight switch of you have lost the GROUND to the instrument panel.  BUT, if the idiot lights come on and such...my get is that the "Reheostat" on the headlight switch is bad....or there is a LOOSE connection. You will have to pull the switch...usually not a BAD job and take it to a NAPA store and let them "find a replacement".  Monaco used a variety of switches...so there is NOT one that I know fits all. 

This is the ONLY one in the Parts LIST... The PN is from an ADVANCED AUTO catalog...

part # 5970857 for 1973 Chevy C10 truck
AC Delco D1588

Thanks Tom.  F25 is good, and F4 is too (0 ohms on the multimeter in place or when removed.  The headlight switch will have to wait.  No time to try that until next week.  I don't even know how to get the cover off the top of the dash.  Or if I can get access from below.  I will seach for the post I read a few weeks ago.  Another day... another session of deep thinking and knuckle busting.

3 hours ago, Steve P said:

Humble thanks, 

Steve

I had a similar issue with the dash lights of our 2005 Safari Cheetah. I replaced the headlight switch and that solved the problem.

Looked it over tonight... looks like the entire panel that looks like carbon fiber (but probably is plastic) has to be unscrewed from the far left of the dash to the right side above the storage drawers.  Then it would appear that one has access to everything, including the headlight switch. 

When mine did that, I replaced the headlight switch and they worked afterwards. 

Mr Volt Meter is your friend.  On mine I can lay on my back and get to some of the gauge lamp terminals from underneath.  You only need to get to and test one.  Other than laying on your back and trying to cram your arms into a tight space you can do this test quickly.  I think they're a #94 bulb . . . . 

- bob

I'm having the same problem but I know my headlight switch is good because the backlight on my switches work.  I believe the back lighting on the switches and the gauges are both controlled by the rheostat on the headlight switch.

I don't really rely on the gauges anyway but not being able to see them at all is annoying and a little eerie at night.

Not sure why the backlight on the gauges don't work but luckily I have a Silverleaf display and can see my speed and RPMs and the Garmin also shows speed.

I replaced my headlight switch due the same issue. Call Rev RV and check with their parts department. Chances are they’ll have the switch. That’s what I did last year on my ‘06 Camelot. At that time the price was $88.72.
The part #: 10105770  they have a photo of it on their website.

There’s a Good chance it’s the same for your coach.

But I was on their website a week ago and happened to see that exact same part is now $221.02, if they still have them in stock. 

I used this switch from NAPA Auto Parts on my Dynasty.

Headlight Switch

(2)
Part #: MPE HL6554SB
Add a vehicle to guarantee fit
$18.49
/ each

Store Pick upOrder now, Pick up Tomorrow at 8 Fairfax St SE 20175
Next-Day DeliveryOrder now for drop-off from your local store
Free Shipping on orders over $35Get it byTue, Oct 31
Qty: