Aluminum wheel defect?

amphi_sc
Go to solution Solved by amphi_sc,

• Solution

Mostly good news.  Accuride is shipping a new wheel under warranty.  Bad news is getting a tire shop to swap it at my cost.  And the wheel won't ship out for 10 days so looking at Thanksgiving week to get somebody to do the work.

Would this unmount/mount be covered under my FMCA roadside plan?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, amphi_sc said:

Mostly good news.  Accuride is shipping a new wheel under warranty.  Bad news is getting a tire shop to swap it at my cost.  And the wheel won't ship out for 10 days so looking at Thanksgiving week to get somebody to do the work.

Would this unmount/mount be covered under my FMCA roadside plan?

Glad to hear Accuride is covering it.  Do they want the defective wheel back?

As far as FMCA, I'd definitely submit it.  I suspect they will deny it, especially if you're at home, but it's worth a try.

Edited by dl_racing427

1 hour ago, brokenarrow1244 said:

In CA. You could recycle that rim and get a pretty good amount for it.

Maybe you could get the original seller to cover the install for it.

The going price for 'aluminum rim' scrap should be somewhere around 60 cents/lb. They have different codes for different pieces.  My rim is about 70 Lbs so you'll get some dollars back.

On 11/4/2023 at 7:22 PM, DavidL said:

You might want to send those pictures to Alcoa.  Looks like a defect to me.  Maybe they will make it right.

The outside edge of the rim doesn't show any signs of hitting the road (curb or flat tire related).

Almost like the rim was over heat treated and brittle (that's a guess).

Those are not Alcoa rims.

@amphi_sc glad you found it and they ate mostly making it right.  I'm curious as to why you had a new rim installed 2 years ago? What was wrong w the previous one?

31 minutes ago, Steven P said:

@amphi_sc glad you found it and they ate mostly making it right.  I'm curious as to why you had a new rim installed 2 years ago? What was wrong w the previous one?

I'll admit I had a boo-boo 2 years ago hitting a piece of concrete turning right at the same constant angle as the concrete in the blind spot of the passenger door pillar ... enough to not hurt that tire, but bent the edge of that rim just enough to warrant replacement for peace of mind. Drove with that old tire on a new white steel wheel for 1800 miles until I had time to catch up to a new polished aluminum wheel, and then while I was at it (and I could find the tires in stock ... remember this was a couple years ago when supplies were having problems), mount new steers on the new Accuride and other original wheel.  I now carry that emergency steel wheel & mounted old tire as a "just in case" spare on a home made 'receiver attached swing down carrier' similar to the Roadmaster design, but clears my bumper and allows straight thru hitching of my toad (I posted pictures of that homemade carrier on another post many months ago). The D-hole wheel pattern is not made by Accuride anymore so they recommended this replacement wheel as the equivalent, but with a round hand hole. (I couldn't find a used Monaco D-hole polished front wheel anyplace.) I put it on the driver's side so I wouldn't have to be reminded of my boo-boo every time I came in the door.  I got the concrete just "right" for the wheel, but it missed the steps and coach body so the only casualty was the original factory wheel. I had about a 5 hour delay waiting on roadside assistance to find a wheel that could work, and they inspected the tire & mounted it as it never went flat, and I was on my way again.  End of long but "lucky" story...

• Like 1