Aluminum wheel defect?

amphi_sc
Go to solution Solved by amphi_sc,

Why is this wheel splitting?  If I ran into a pot hole or curb I would think it would bend and have a flat spot from an impact.  But why is the bead edge splitting away?  Two places: 2 & 4 o'clock

Obviously I need to order a new wheel.

PXL_20231104_225715939.jpg

PXL_20231104_225708648.jpg

Edited by amphi_sc
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

You might want to send those pictures to Alcoa.  Looks like a defect to me.  Maybe they will make it right.

The outside edge of the rim doesn't show any signs of hitting the road (curb or flat tire related).

Almost like the rim was over heat treated and brittle (that's a guess).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, amphi_sc said:

It's an Accuride (Accu-Shield) ACC/42644XPC.  22.5 x 8.25 for 295/80 22.5 tires.  Special ordered 10/20/21

I'd be talking with someone from Accuride, they may be interested in this type of failure.  Not sure what kind of warranty they come with but this looks bad enough for them to do a failure analysis. 

• Like 1

First I've seen something like that.

Obviously that tire needs to be deflated and removed as soon as you can a mobile tire service out to your coach.

Unless the OP is the original owner, it's hard to say the root cause. Manufacturing defect - odd after so many years, rim was involved in a flat tire incident putting stress of the rim even though there were no visible marks, tire way over pressure causing a stress crack, or the rim was at one time replaced by one involved in a crash.

Lots of possibilities but the coach is not drivable with that rim.  Good that you caught it.

• Like 1

Hello Frank,

Yes, I am the original owner of that wheel.  2 years in service, rounding to approximately 30,000 miles on that tire, both tire and wheel were new when installed at that wheel position by Les Schwab in 2021.  No flats or under/over inflation or anything of note on that tire since installation in 2021.  I use a TPMS.  Caught it when washing the coach today.  GLAD I saw it before driving any further!!

Monday I'll see if I can get anybody's attention at Accuride.  Supposedly the "finish" has a 60 month warranty, but don't know about any metal fatigue warranty.

Anybody know the best contact at Accuride?  Otherwise I'll try the standard 800-869-2275 number.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, amphi_sc said:

Hello Frank,

Yes, I am the original owner of that wheel.  2 years in service, rounding to approximately 30,000 miles on that tire, both tire and wheel were new when installed at that wheel position by Les Schwab in 2021.  No flats or under/over inflation or anything of note on that tire since installation in 2021.  I use a TPMS.  Caught it when washing the coach today.  GLAD I saw it before driving any further!!

Monday I'll see if I can get anybody's attention at Accuride.  Supposedly the "finish" has a 60 month warranty, but don't know about any metal fatigue warranty.

Anybody know the best contact at Accuride?  Otherwise I'll try the standard 800-869-2275 number.

If I read your reply correctly, that wheel is only 2 years old.  Could very well be a manufacturing defect. I looked up the wheel warranty and for an RV application, it's 120 months against manufacturing defects.

• Like 2

I’ve been around the trucking industry since about 1980, seems to me I remember talking with someone back in the late 80’s or early 90’s that tried some Accuride wheels and had some issues, don’t remember all the details now, just remember that I always leaned towards Alcoa wheels on my trucks, I was surprised to see Accuride wheels on Monaco coaches when I started my research prior to our purchase. 

Times change and so do products.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accuride_Corporation#:~:text=Accuride was founded in 1986,the direction of Mitt Romney.

Edited by Jdw12345

3 hours ago, Rene and Linda Vero Fl said:

No expert here but I have seen tire guys use large tire hammers to dislarge tires from rims and that could cause a fracture then the pressure of tire could cause a split or crack in the rim. I Would deflate it immediately.

There's no sign of a hammer strike in that pic.  Hitting the rubber wouldn't cause that damage.

Also, OP said it was installed new only 2 years ago, so it's never had a tire dismounted from that wheel.

It looks very much like a manufacturing defect,  Accuride should be very interested in getting that wheel back for RCA.

• Like 1

If what you say is accurate it is most likely a defect. However, There are some dealers that have what is called " factory seconds" or Reconditioned rims. They are sometimes straightened from being out of round. Also the inner area of the rim needs to be viewed for any scuff marks that may be induced by tire mounting equipment. A Bead Setter might cause it.

Possibly getting back to the original seller of the rim may be a great option. I think you will get assistance from them no matter what they see. 

Often I have seen them supply seconds as new ( more $$ in profits) in place of original factory parts.

Maybe your invoice reads a clue into the matter. It may be different than what was verbal. It could still be new, but less than perfect. Polishing rims can cause considerable heat build up.

Give them a chance to make it right. Be glad you found it ... either way you are still safe!

If that blew apart on the road you might never have known what happened.

Edited by brokenarrow1244
Left out a comment
  • Like 2

Thank you for sharing this. Although I always check air pressure and routinely examine my tires I must admit I pay little attention to the rims unless I am cleaning them when I wash the coach. They will now become part of my regular tire check.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

Anyone use lighter fluid to set the bead?

I don't believe that would have been standard practice at Les Schwab. But I wasn't allowed in the shop ( insurance regulations I was told ) when they mounted this tire and the corresponding passenger side steer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, amphi_sc said:

I don't believe that would have been standard practice at Les Schwab. But I wasn't allowed in the shop ( insurance regulations I was told ) when they mounted this tire and the corresponding passenger side steer.

Yeah, unlikely.

• Like 1

I have seen this on accuride rims on 3 of our new cascadia trucks. The last one two years ago. Velocity truck took no responsibilty in the matter

Accuride did and we were given two new rims.  All of our trucks and trailers that have Alcoa's have never had a problem.

• Like 2

Guest Ray Davis
3 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

Anyone use lighter fluid to set the bead?

I have used starter fluid but not on the RV.   When it works right it's almost magic, poof the tire is set.  Occasionally, it catches fire & just burns, no big deal. In that case, you put it out & try again.

Friend of mine has been making trios to California and back hauling 20ft trailer,  moving his fathers estate back to ar. 2002 F250 7.3 diesel 4x4 crewcab. His aluminum rim had 6" piece at bead sticking out. Dont know how it didnt deflate. Also bent axle spinde 45 degrees on trailer. I 40 in arizona and new mexico  and Nevada are horrible. He just scraped and bought new.

• Like 1