Flexible drain hose in Dynasty kitchen slide

Newcsn

This will be the second time in 2 years that the flexible drain hose in our 06 Dynasty kitchen slide has broken. There has to be a better solution!!! What other types of hose is available that will last longer? I’m really surprised the engineers didn’t devise a flex joint for this setup! Thanks for your feedback!

IMG_0552.jpeg

IMG_0553.jpeg

I helped two 08 Navigator buddies analyze and fix/replace their drain hoses.  A flex joint is not designed for the stresses or the range of motion or application.  Not that some of our more ingenious members might have developed a solution…..so they may have a foolproof fix.

I’d look at the flexibility and elasticity of the hose.  If you can hook up with another member, perhaps he has a hose with a logo or PN.  IF the hose is always splitting or breaking in the same place, I’d recommend a few wraps of Gorilla tape.  That has salvaged my intake air hose from the upper corner to the air filter.  Been 8 or so years and the hose, which had a 180 deg split in a joint is still tight.  That is in a more hostile environment.

Sometimes, it helps to have a “If Duct tape or WD40 don’t fix it….it be really broke” mentality.  As long as the new hose flexes and works, reinforcing it to prevent abrasion or flexing of a seam, might be effective.  Folks have also used the stretchy silicone tape that you wrap tightly and then the surface tension of the rubber “seals”.  Another option.

• Like 1

Some of the guys are using a commercial car wash vacuum hose instead of the original spa hose.   It's more flexible.

Here are two threads with great information on repairing the kitchen slide drain hose. 

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/kitchen-sink-flexible-drain-hose-replacement-383127.html

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/broken-flex-drain-in-kitchen-slide-539786.html 

I put in a 1” nylon reinforced vinyl hose. It’s extremely flexible and sink drains well, I’d say as fast as ever.  Flow rate is already restricted by the sink strainer and basket so little to no benefit IMO to maintain 1 1/2” hose. 

edit note - went back to my parts list and our SPA hose was 1 1/2” versus 2” in my original note.

Edited by Jim Pratten
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Jim Pratten said:

I put in a 1” nylon reinforced vinyl hose. It’s extremely flexible and sink drains well, I’d say as fast as ever.  Flow rate is already restricted by the sink strainer and basket so little to no benefit IMO to maintain 2” hose. 

@Jim Pratten Interesting solution! Is the 1” nylon reinforced hose the clear type you can buy at any of the big box home improvement stores? How did you connect it on the ends - barb fittings? Thanks

22 minutes ago, vito.a said:

Some of the guys are using a commercial car wash vacuum hose instead of the original spa hose.   It's more flexible.

Here are two threads with great information on repairing the kitchen slide drain hose. 

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/kitchen-sink-flexible-drain-hose-replacement-383127.html

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/broken-flex-drain-in-kitchen-slide-539786.html 

@vito.a Thank you! I’m going to see if I can source some commercial car wash vacuum hose in the Ft Myers area - when we get there!

1 hour ago, Newcsn said:

@Jim Pratten Interesting solution! Is the 1” nylon reinforced hose the clear type you can buy at any of the big box home improvement stores? How did you connect it on the ends - barb fittings? Thanks

Yep, used 1” NPT to 1” stainless steel hose barbs.  Saw no need for hose clamps. Cut into existing plumbing at the lower black ABS line and the upper SPA hose PVC line using one each ABS and PVC 1 1/2” slip to 1 1/2” female NPT and 1 1/2” NPT to 1” NPT stainless reducers.

edit note - corrected to 1 1/2” and included use of reducers.

P1040875.jpeg

As side note, I’m a fan of PTFE paste versus tape, especially when joining dissimilar materials. 

Edited by Jim Pratten
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When we bought our 2003 Dynasty back in 2007 it had just started leaking and I fixed it the first time.  I think they originally made the hose just a little too long so it had a hard stop when the slide was retracted and therefore I feel it added undo stress to the coupler.  I replaced the hose with spa hose and made it just a little shorter.  It lasted 15-years until last summer when we noticed a leak after a trip.

Although I was happy it lasted 15-years I wanted to investigate a bit further.  I noticed that it still appeared to break right where the flexible hose was glued into the rigid coupler so my solution was to add an extra strain relief further back to keep the hose from kinking right at the glued joint.

Here is the leaking hose after 15-years.

drain1.jpg.80ae97b5d0d2cf687e88e388950855c2.jpg

I was able to find some spa hose the same size.  This time I went to a spa specific supply store and feel the hose is a bit more flexible than what I purchased at Home Depot or Lowes last time.

drain5.jpg.3ade499d2e0c928b53eb0e415fd1b842.jpg

I used a large truck axle socket to thread the new connector into the black ABS plumbing.

drain7.jpg.ae144a004434904088c8730a4f148dee.jpg

I used a length of 1"x .125" angle iron for an extended strain relief and drilled holes for screws in which to fasten into the moving "trolley".

drain8.jpg.eaff54c677b95819306ad1df9ef41896.jpg

Here is the hose along with the PEX and supply lines all benefitting from the extended strain relief.

drain9.jpg.f1400ddc0fbb470d121ee3d855c0808f.jpg

drain10.jpg.2ea85e5dbbaa8743d6c837912efde260.jpg

I have since opened up the compartment multiple times to ensure it is working and thus far it is holding up well but it's only been a little over a year now.

• Like 5

After one failed repair with spa hose, I did exactly what Jim P mentioned above: replaced the white PVC fittings with reducers to 1” threaded and used barbed fittings to 1” plastic reinforced hose. Got everything at Home Depot for under $25. Been in place for ver 10 years with no issues.

One thing I learned in the process was to never clamp the spa hose to the trolley if you go that way, as that will add a separate flex point that will force the spa hose to pinch. Only use zip ties or rubberized straps on the ABS and/or PVC parts.

Another option for the hose is “bilge hose” which is more flexible. Monaco used that to connect my external water fill to the water tank, and when I replaced that I realized that it would have been a decent choice for the kitchen drain.

Bottom line: you can use almost any type of flexible hose 1” (probably 3/4” actually) or greater. There is no real pressure in the hose as it’s purely gravity drain. Make it easy to install/replace. Don’t clamp anything on the flexible hose to add pinch points.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2023 at 8:29 PM, Jim Pratten said:

Yep, used 1” NPT to 1” stainless steel hose barbs.  Saw no need for hose clamps. Cut into existing plumbing at the lower black ABS line and the upper SPA hose PVC line using one each ABS and PVC 1 1/2” slip to 1 1/2” female NPT and 1 1/2” NPT to 1” NPT stainless reducers.

edit note - corrected to 1 1/2” and included use of reducers.

P1040875.jpeg

As side note, I’m a fan of PTFE paste versus tape, especially when joining dissimilar materials. 

@Jim Pratten Thank you - that looks like an awesome solution - way more flexible than spa hose! Okay, time to crawl in that cabinet (again) on Saturday! DW will be very happy - she’s been handling kitchen clean up ops out of the bath sink that past couple days. Thanks again!