Air still not coming up on 06 Camelot 40 PDQ

When trying to air up, the gauges never get over 75 psi. I know the gauges aren't that accurate, but prior to my problem they would be up around 100 or so.

I let the engine run for 20 to 30 minutes. The front air bags did fill, but the top of the tires would barely clear the body of the coach when turning the wheels. The back air bags didn't lift at all, although they do seem to have a small amount of air.  Yesterday while standing in front of the coach I heard air escaping.  When I pulled out the generator it was very loud, but I couldn't pin point where it was coming from.  It was late in the day, so I shut down until today. This morning after letting it run for 20 minutes or so, and checked the gauges, they did get up to the same 75 psi. When I pulled out the generator and stuck my head in behind it I did hear what sounded like a small leak, but it wasn't like yesterday.  This leak appeared to be coming from this device, (see attached photo) on the front side of the firewall. But even using soapy water I couldn't actually find any leak. I realize it's part of the air system, but exactly what is it, and what does it do?

Anybody know of a shop in central Florida that understands these air systems on diesels?  I haven't tried it yet, because I have the front of the coach up on jack stands so I can get under it, but I'm assuming I won't be able to drive it because of not enough air to release the rear brakes.

Any ideas, or help will be appreciated 

Air Valve ??.jpg

Edited by BRBowers

You actually do have enough air to release your parking brake, but, I still wouldn't drive it with that low air pressure!

Your picture is your service brakes treadle valve.

Edited by 96 EVO

With the engine off and a quiet surrounding you can't detect other leaks?

If it's a faint hiss I'd suspect the compressor isn't up to snuff.  Or a clogged air dryer?  Just guesses on my part.  It should continue to build up to 125 psi. 

If you can't drive it (and I agree, 75 psi is too low) you might locate a mobile mechanic first.  Maybe someone can recommend a good MM in Central FL.

Good luck,

- bob

Try wiggling the red, green, and yellow plastic tubing.  They use push to connect fittings.  The yellow hose is coming in at an angle and PTC fittings don't play well unless the tubing goes in straight.

If one is leaking you can try removing it by pushing down on the locking portion of the fitting to release the tubing.   You can try cutting a short piece off of the tubing, make sure it a clean ninety degree cut, and reinsert the tubing into the fitting. 

If that doesn't work take the fitting off and go get a compression type fitting that will fit the threads and tubing size. 

• Like 1

It's debatable but if the tires are not rubbing and the brakes are not dragging it can be driven on a limited basis.  Actually driving it will probably increase the air pressure.  

It's important to understand that air pressure releases the brakes so you need enough pressure to keep them from dragging.  

When was the last time the air dryer was changed?  I'd probably start there.  It's just a spin on filter and is fairly easy to change once you get a filter wrench large enough.  

I'd also drain the water from the air tanks.  This is covered in your owners manual. 

Good luck!

Edited by vito.a

My 06 Camelot had a similar issue. I changed the dryer and had to wind up changing the pump. It looked quite bad. fixed my issue. Not necessarily your issue. 

However, I would agree that you should limit driving till a repair is done. Air Brakes aren't that great without air.

Best of luck to you.

5 minutes ago, nvrtoofast said:

My 06 Camelot had a similar issue. I changed the dryer and had to wind up changing the pump. It looked quite bad. fixed my issue. Not necessarily your issue. 

However, I would agree that you should limit driving till a repair is done. Air Brakes aren't that great without air.

Best of luck to you.

It does resemble the symptoms of a stuck dryer purge valve, but, he does mention a loud air leak up front.

Found my problem, it was a stuck Air Dump Valve.  See photo.  I got it to work by tapping on it, but I'll get one ordered to replace it asap.

I think this is Monaco's Part No: 16618371 

Air Dump Valve.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rob Monda said:

Where do you find the dump valve? I have an 06 Dynasty

Best thing to do is have someone press the air dump switch and listen for the dump valved.

I have one in the front that dumps the front bags and two in the rear that dump the rear bags. 

I just went through a air issue over Christmas, the best thing I did was pressurize the entire system utilizing the air inlet on the front of the coach. You can use a small compressor to do this, you will be able to hear a lot better without the engine running. There are tests you need to preform to ensure proper function of air systems,  like parking brake engagement on low air pressure. Test to see if you have enough air use the brakes more than once in short period of time.

Frank McElroy was invaluable with the info and documents he supplied.

The info and docs he supplied are under my post  AIR LOSS EXITING THE HIGHWAY in Compressed Air Systems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rob, mines under the hood so to speak. On the firewall right in the middle. Up toward the top. If you saw the photo it’s small. Have someone trip your air dump while youtr outside looking at the firewall. You should hear it and feel the air.