Expansion tank build.

av8ter

12 minutes ago, Paul Busch said:

Wow, good for you! Something I have wished I was able to do.

paulb

Thank you. I work for a large aluminum boat manufacturer and have a small machine shop on the side as a part time business so I can build a lot myself. I'm a mechanic by trade so I can fix almost anything on the coach as long as size doesn't get too bad. I could build the transmission if it was on the bench but getting it out and back in would be an issue. That's the main way a simple man like myself can afford this machine. 

30 minutes ago, klcdenver said:

Looks excellent

Thank you.

• Like 5

And no, I have no intentions of building these. This is a one off. Sorry, I'm just too busy at work.

You're such a tease . . .

- bob

Edited by cbr046
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Craggar said:

Very nice job, I’m a pretty good welder when it comes to arc or mig but not so much with tig. I guess I should have practiced more on hen I had the equipment. 

Thank you. To me TIG is just like gas welding with a throttle. I think the main thing is rhythm and a really good hood so you can see the weld but also see more of the part so you can follow a good straight line. Cheaper hoods are too dark a little ways from the puddle so you can't see where you're going. Kinda like the OEM headlights on these Monacos! 😅 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, av8ter said:

Thank you. To me TIG is just like gas welding with a throttle. I think the main thing is rhythm and a really good hood so you can see the weld but also see more of the part so you can follow a good straight line. Cheaper hoods are too dark a little ways from the puddle so you can't see where you're going. Kinda like the OEM headlights on these Monacos! 😅 

Lol I hear you on the headlights for sure and being able to see where you're going both on the road and welding. I do have a good hood and always thought I had good hand eye coordination until I got the foot involved, which explains why I was never that good at playing the drums too. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Craggar said:

Lol I hear you on the headlights for sure and being able to see where you're going both on the road and welding. I do have a good hood and always thought I had good hand eye coordination until I got the foot involved, which explains why I was never that good at playing the drums too. 

Well, I'm about as musical as a train wreck so I tend to compare it to flying a helicopter. TIG welding just has less consequences if you screw up. Rotorcraft aren't so forgiving! 

• Haha 2

I'm getting too old to make a pretty Tig bead like that, but I wouldn't discount removing / re-installing an Allison as being too difficult.  Harbor Freight sells a 2,000 # transmission jack for a ridiculously low price.  build a cradle to support  the engine and the rest is pretty straight forward.  I pulled mine in 2022 to replace the rear main oil seal.4085.thumb.jpg.1b3ce7e779d3601a5ec5d6f87e732e56.jpgIMG_4103.thumb.JPG.ede3d1660dc4171f2672a8b098a14b43.JPG

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Robert92867 said:

I'm getting too old to make a pretty Tig bead like that, but I wouldn't discount removing / re-installing an Allison as being too difficult.  Harbor Freight sells a 2,000 # transmission jack for a ridiculously low price.  build a cradle to support  the engine and the rest is pretty straight forward.  I pulled mine in 2022 to replace the rear main oil seal.

Thanks for the pep talk on that! Sometimes that's all that's needed! A little push. In all reality if I need to work on that area I'd probably dive in and do it. I'd probably even go as far as an in-frame on the ISL if needed. 

On 2/2/2024 at 11:27 AM, av8ter said:

I'm learning to tig weld.  I can't call myself a welder as of yet. 😂
I'm thinking of getting one of the true color hoods.  I've seen good reviews on some lesser priced ones of late.
What's your opinion on them? Worth the investment?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dl_racing427 said:

I'm learning to tig weld.  I can't call myself a welder as of yet. 😂
I'm thinking of getting one of the true color hoods.  I've seen good reviews on some lesser priced ones of late.
What's your opinion on them? Worth the investment?

I tend to gravitate to the $300 plus hoods. Some of the guys at work use some of the less expensive ones when they start but end up buying high end. Not sure if it is just pressure from the guys with the nice ones and they just wanted to fit in or what. I have looked thru them and they didn't work too bad at all. I think in a hobby/low use type of situation they would be great. 10 hours a day, 5 days a week, I would stay more towards high end. Much more comfortable and reaction times are quicker. My favorites are Esab A50 and A60 and the Speedglas line. Miller and Lincoln also make a nice hood. I had a Weldcote Metals hood that came in at the 150 mark that was pretty good. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, av8ter said:

I tend to gravitate to the $300 plus hoods. Some of the guys at work use some of the less expensive ones when they start but end up buying high end. Not sure if it is just pressure from the guys with the nice ones and they just wanted to fit in or what. I have looked thru them and they didn't work too bad at all. I think in a hobby/low use type of situation they would be great. 10 hours a day, 5 days a week, I would stay more towards high end. Much more comfortable and reaction times are quicker. My favorites are Esab A50 and A60 and the Speedglas line. Miller and Lincoln also make a nice hood. I had a Weldcote Metals hood that came in at the 150 mark that was pretty good. 

Thanks for the info.  I 100% agree. If I were using it daily, or even several times a week, I'd definitely go with the major brands.
My usage is several times a year. I've spent more time practicing than actually welding on a project.
It seems like most all hoods are made in China these days, regardless of brand. 😱

• Like 2

On 2/2/2024 at 9:14 AM, av8ter said:

Hello. My 03 Windsor had the stock plastic expansion tank for the cooling system still and it was starting to leak a little so I built a new one. I bought the filler neck for 10 bucks and built the rest from scrap laying around. I threw some bar stock in the lathe to make some bungs even. I did put a drain on the bottom as I was turning parts. Probably never use the drain but if needed it will be handy. It turned out pretty good. I'm happy with it. I did find the stock level sensor won't work in a metal tank. The sensor is all metal so screwed into a metal tank it will always ground the wire so the light will never come on. I have a plastic replacement on the way.  And no, I have no intentions of building these. This is a one off. Sorry, I'm just too busy at work.

expansion tank.jpg

IMG_20240201_150537402_HDR.jpg

Do you have a part number for that plastic sensor??  I am getting ready to install a metal atank and never really thought about the grounding problem

Thanks,  Bob L, 08 dynasty

1 hour ago, Bobbyboy said:

Do you have a part number for that plastic sensor??  I am getting ready to install a metal atank and never really thought about the grounding problem

Thanks,  Bob L, 08 dynasty

Yes, it's a Ford part and the number is XC4Z-10D968-AA. It uses two wires instead of one but from what I've read is people just hook both wires to the one from the coach. You will also need a harness plug for it too but I don't have that number handy right now.

20 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

That tank is too pretty to have the overflow hose hanging in front!

Cant hide that around the backside?

Good point. And it will get a new hose too but I was out of time as I had to move the coach 75 miles the next day.

• Like 1