RV Insurance Sticker Shock!

My coach is now 24 years old, I paid $47K for it almost 10 years ago. If it’s totaled, I don’t want a 24 year old replacement, I want reasonable compensation and for them to pay to haul it off.  I’m thinking it won’t take much real damage to total a 24 year old coach given parts availability and labor costs. 

1 hour ago, dennis.mcdonaugh said:

I just received my renewal notice from Foremost and my policy went up $300 this year. Our policy is through Farmer's insurance.

I just got done checking with Farmers insurance for House, Car, and RV,  Each was higher then what I pay with Auto Owners.  RV quote was about double.  I had been paying $260 but new quote went up to $340, but still cheaper. 

42 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

I just got done checking with Farmers insurance for House, Car, and RV,  Each was higher then what I pay with Auto Owners.  RV quote was about double.  I had been paying $260 but new quote went up to $340, but still cheaper. 

Is that $340 for the whole year??!!

~5 years ago I had insurance with Grange, had been with them for +10 years.  The RV policy was separate from auto, they did not bundle together. 

So I had my broker do an estimate from the other companies he represented,  That's when I ended up with AutoOwners and they have been competitive, but it's been a battle to keep rates low.  There had been gradual increases but this last year on average all went up ~14%

But I just read yesterday that average insurance rates went up 20.8% which contributing to the overall inflation pressures, I can attest to that🤬

We’ve been pretty lucky. Our auto insurance renewal only went up $75. It’s the home owners insurance I’m really worried about. Between skyrocketing building costs and natural disasters, there’s a lot of pressure to raise rates. Wildfires have replaced hurricanes as our number 1 natural disaster. Hurricanes do more damage, but they don’t happen every year. There are hundreds of wildfires annually. 

1 minute ago, dennis.mcdonaugh said:

We’ve been pretty lucky. Our auto insurance renewal only went up $75. It’s the home owners insurance I’m really worried about. Between skyrocketing building costs and natural disasters, there’s a lot of pressure to raise rates. Wildfires have replaced hurricanes as our number 1 natural disaster. Hurricanes do more damage, but they don’t happen every year. There are hundreds of wildfires annually. 

Agree with that

When I first went with Auto Owners the house rate was less the Grange but it was the ability to bundle the RV into the Auto policy and then the entire  house/auto bundle that saved me money.

My homeowners took a big jump in 2022, one of the reasons given was the building cost to replace.  I checked some of the lumber costs and there was a big increase 3X the cost on some items from and when I built the house 2X6"X9' studs (used for exterior walls) went from ~$5.5 to +$15.  3/4" decking for subfloor was also 3X.   Quit looking after that.  The only thing I could do was to reduce the value to what I thought was a reasonable amount.  That got the rate down but still 17% higher then previous year.  Problem is it continues to climb, I've adjusted the value to where I may be slightly under insured, yes it's a risk but had to do something.  Even my house premium went up 14% from last year.  ~44% in the last 4 years. 

I think some of this now is being driven by the price of housing in general and the insurance companies are taking advantage of it.  Running out of options!

On 2/6/2024 at 8:38 PM, dl_racing427 said:

I have a question.  Why would you want to risk having your coach not covered while you're living in it?

I never understood their logic in doing that.
I'd think they'd be better off having less turnover, and just giving reasonable rates to existing customers, instead of constantly having to do all the work to write new policies.
At least offer matching rates when a customer calls in ready to cancel their policy for a competitor.

A little known secret. Many people believe they get a loyalty rate when stick with an insurer. The insurers know that indicates the customer isn’t shopping and increases their premiums regularly. If you don’t shop it bites you. 

Based on what I know NOW, I will be shopping every time my policy comes up for renewal no matter what it is for.

I am so fed up with these companies gouging the pubic unnecessarily. Especially the ones that never submit any claims or have accidents or moving violations. The ones that should be paying are those that seem to go scot-free which then increases every ones rates.

I can only imagine the number of people here in the state of Florida that drive their vehicles with out insurance when it is MANDATORY to have insurance in order to register their vehicle. There is no follow-up to remove vehicles from the road when people cancel their insurance. I guess the DMV doesn't talk to the local law enforcement in order to enforce the laws.

• Like 1

My insurance with progressive jumped also to $2700.00 for a January 30-2024 renewal on my 2007 Dynasty Palace lll.
I move it to Secura with my home and vehicle policies. It was a little over $900.   with my umbrella coverage also. Not sure what progressive is thinking. Also have a truck listed with progressive on a commercial policy and the new renewal doubled. Shopping that also.

Both policies the agreed value was $125k

Edited by bryan browne

I just got a update on my quote and found out that AO does not want to do a Mono policy. They want my autos as well. I think i am going to give them 1 of my vehicles to quote. Maybe i will get a better rate on both? 

I got a quote from Erie insurance yesterday for a bundle policy Home and Auto which includes the RV. 

The house insurance was essentially the same but the auto insurance was 32% less, a pretty significant amount ~$684.  Most of the savings were the two new vehicles but the RV went down ~40% went to $196 compared to $340 with AO.  

So next week I plan to sit down with the Erie rep and make sure I'm comparing apples to apples.  Seems like the devil is in the details.  Will also look at Erie as a company, financials and reviews.

Anybody have any feedback on Erie insurance?

Edited by jacwjames