RV Insurance Sticker Shock!

I received my Progressive RV Insurance renewal in January for the March 1st renewal. OMG!!!

The renewal bill came in at $2877 for a full pay discounted rate.

SO, this month, I made up a list of 8 RV insurance companies to call for their current rate do do some comparison shopping.

I only made three calls before settling on one company in particular that writes insurance for my state, Florida.

My first call was to RVer Insurance Exchange. Second call was to National General Insurance and the third call was to RV America. They happen to be in that very same order from the top on my list. I never called the other 5 companies.

RV Insurance Exchange quote came in close to the Progressive as they were quoting Progressive.

National General came in around $2300.

However, my third call was the "CHARM". That was to RV America which landed me at a brokers office in Tennessee.  They quoted me a rate of $899 for one year with a company called Auto Owners Insurance. All three quotes were for basically the same level and type of coverage so as not to mix apples with oranges. The gentleman on the phone remarked that the state of Florida was only writing RV insurance policies with three companies, Progressive, National General and Auto Owners. Don't know if that statement is true or not.

Well, this is a no brainer. My progressive policy will be cancelled at midnight February 29th and my new policy with Auto Owners Insurance company begins at 12:01 am March 1st. 

Edited by Dr4Film
Inserted the insurance companies neame
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Just to share my recent insurance experience.  Was with National General which my December renewal went from $1400 to $1700.  Shopped and Progressive insured me are $1325.  You have to shop your insurance every year.  After 4 years having my cars with Progressive, in November they raised my rate by 25% with no claims or points on any driver.  Had to change to "The Hartford", which decreased my rate to a few dollars less than my previous year with Progressive.  Yes, I moved my RV to Progressive and took my car away from them.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

I received my Progressive RV Insurance renewal in January for the March 1st renewal. OMG!!!

SO, this month, I made up a list of 8 RV insurance companies to call for their current rate do do some comparison shopping.

I only made three calls before settling on one company in particular that writes insurance for my state, Florida.

My first call was to RVer Insurance Exchange. Second call was to National General Insurance and the third call was to RV America. They happen to be in that very same order from the top on my list. I never called the other 5 companies.

RV Insurance Exchange quote came in close to the Progressive as they were quoting Progressive.

However, my third call was the "CHARM". That was to RV America which landed me at a brokers office in Tennessee.  They quoted me a rate of $899 for one year. All three quotes were for basically the same level and type of coverage so as not to mix apples with oranges. The gentleman on the phone remarked that the state of Florida was only writing RV insurance policies with three companies, Progressive, National General and Auto Owners. Don't know if that statement is true or not.

Well, this is a no brainer. My progressive policy will be cancelled at midnight February 29th and my new policy with Auto Owners Insurance company begins at 12:01 am March 1st. 

Richard, I have been with Auto Owners for several years and they are very competitive. 

I also live in Florida and the insurance rates, Auto and Home, have gone through the roof.

Cliff 

15 minutes ago, Mike T Phillips said:

Please ckeck with a local body shop that would work on your coach if you had an accident.    Ask how they pay.   I have heard horrible things about American general.      I have nationwide and I’m in florida

RV America put me with a company called Auto Owners Insurance.

Don't know anything about American General.

Richard, do you have a phone number that you can share?  In December I renewed with National General for 2 cars, 1 pickup truck and 1 RV and it cost me $5,039.00.  I'm thinking that I should contact your company to see if I might get some dollars back.

Jim McFarland

2009 Monaco

3 minutes ago, Jim McFarland said:

Richard, do you have a phone number that you can share?  In December I renewed with National General for 2 cars, 1 pickup truck and 1 RV and it cost me $5,039.00.  I'm thinking that I should contact your company to see if I might get some dollars back.

Jim McFarland

2009 Monaco

The agent I talked with is named Justin Blumenfeld. His number is 502-313-6086. He is located in Tennessee. Please let him know that I referred you to him. No monetary reason just want to give him more business. I later discovered that there are local agents nearby my house in Florida but I started with him on a cold call. He is very nice to talk with and not pushy at all.

• Like 1

I switch home, auto, & RV to Auto Owners about 4 years ago. 

I was actually shopping for a better rate on the new house, after I finally finished it an knew what value I had into it I wanted to make sure the coverage I had with Grange insurance was correct, but when I got the quote I had to shop around. 

I actually use a broker who represents multiple companies so I had him get me a quote on the whole package.  One issue with Grange is that I had to have a separate policy for the RV but with Auto Owners the RV was bundled with the auto's.  The quote I received was very good for the whole package but the RV dropped considerably.  With it bundled into the auto policy I effectively pay ~$300 for the RV for a declared value of $57K, which I think is fair. 

The caveat is that this is for 6 months of use.  When I first got the quote and was reviewing the home, auto, RV cost I saw they only had the RV coverage for 30 days of use which was not enough so I had the bump it to 6 months, can't remember what the difference was.  Not sure what it would be for a full year but we don't use it that much so I'm fine with 6 months. 

I did get two other quotes but not even close to Auto Owners.

My Auto/RV insurance hasn't gone up that much but my home owners has as they take into account inflationary cost to rebuild and with the way building materials have gone up it's hard to argue.  But if it goes up again this year I'll be going back after competitive quotes. 

I'm expecting my renewal quote in the next couple weeks. 

Edited by jacwjames

2 hours ago, Martinvz said:

Richard, are you an FMCA member? If so, try their insurance agent. 
We changed to Progressive late last year and saved a bundle. 

Progressive was $2877 for this coming renewal. NOT!!!

• Like 1

Sharing my experience and what I’ve observed on the site over the years…

- Progressive “typically” gives a teaser rate the first year, then increases every year after.  

- National General held their rates for the first and second year, then increase. 

- Safeco (aka Liberty Mutual), my current carrier, has held the same rate (about $700/yr) for four years now.  My auto went up 40% for 2024 but RV stayed the same. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’ve had one claim (windshield) and Safeco was really easy to deal with, FWIW. 

• Like 1

Here is another twist.  I have been with Good Sam National General for 15 years.  This year as most years past I drive from Oregon to Arizona and call insurance with on person on line (early AI) I suppose (:-). I tell non human I want to place my mh on vacation which is always approved. Minumum wait time for vacation is 30 days and I get a $ rebate in mail.  This year like in the past (only done twice) I call to get permission to drive for mh repair for one day which is always approved. However this year I memtioned to the actual person I was in Arizona.  He came back with you can only put you vehicle on vacation within 100 of policy address which is Oregon.  He said he was immediately taking my mh off vacation like I had committed a gross felony.  I asked where in my policy did it say vacation was only within a 100miles of my base.  He said that it was written in the underwriters papers which I have never seen.  I asked since I didn't know of the 100 miles limit what if my mh was broken into or burned.  He said that would be up to the underwriter.  I sent off a letter to Good Sam with a copy to National General.  Within a few day I got a reply from NG that four months vacation was acceptable.  Time will tell IF I stay with NG.  In my correspondance NG talked of "Full-timer" policy being different than what I was paying for but didn't answer what the difference was.

These companies all seem to play the rate increase game sooner or later. We had been with Geico for 4+years insuring 4 vehicles, an umbrella policy along with 2 homes with Travelers thru Geico. When we bought this Monaco, and was given the rate, I went looking. Auto Owners came in looking great and I almost signed with them. However, someone said to check with FMCA. When I checked with them, they quoted me a Progressive policy that was higher than Auto Owners on the motorhome, but lower overall when all the vehicles were included. I activated it yesterday and cancelled Geico today.  We had been with Progressive years ago, however, left them when they bumped the rates. If history repeats itself, I will be looking again in a couple years. 

• Like 1

On 2/5/2024 at 4:50 PM, kenandjoanne2002 said:

Here is another twist.  I have been with Good Sam National General for 15 years.  This year as most years past I drive from Oregon to Arizona and call insurance with on person on line (early AI) I suppose (:-). I tell non human I want to place my mh on vacation which is always approved. Minumum wait time for vacation is 30 days and I get a $ rebate in mail.  This year like in the past (only done twice) I call to get permission to drive for mh repair for one day which is always approved. However this year I memtioned to the actual person I was in Arizona.  He came back with you can only put you vehicle on vacation within 100 of policy address which is Oregon.  He said he was immediately taking my mh off vacation like I had committed a gross felony.  I asked where in my policy did it say vacation was only within a 100miles of my base.  He said that it was written in the underwriters papers which I have never seen.  I asked since I didn't know of the 100 miles limit what if my mh was broken into or burned.  He said that would be up to the underwriter.  I sent off a letter to Good Sam with a copy to National General.  Within a few day I got a reply from NG that four months vacation was acceptable.  Time will tell IF I stay with NG.  In my correspondance NG talked of "Full-timer" policy being different than what I was paying for but didn't answer what the difference was.

I have a question.  Why would you want to risk having your coach not covered while you're living in it?

1 hour ago, Venturer said:

These companies all seem to play the rate increase game sooner or later. We had been with Geico for 4+years insuring 4 vehicles, an umbrella policy along with 2 homes with Travelers thru Geico. When we bought this Monaco, and was given the rate, I went looking. Auto Owners came in looking great and I almost signed with them. However, someone said to check with FMCA. When I checked with them, they quoted me a Progressive policy that was higher than Auto Owners on the motorhome, but lower overall when all the vehicles were included. I activated it yesterday and cancelled Geico today.  We had been with Progressive years ago, however, left them when they bumped the rates. If history repeats itself, I will be looking again in a couple years. 

I never understood their logic in doing that.
I'd think they'd be better off having less turnover, and just giving reasonable rates to existing customers, instead of constantly having to do all the work to write new policies.
At least offer matching rates when a customer calls in ready to cancel their policy for a competitor.

9 hours ago, Venturer said:

YOUR example is 100% correct.  We use an Independent agency.  

We were with Hartford for the House and Car and Umbrella.  They did NOT write up MH's...  So we used National General.  Hartford bumped up the RATES.  Our agent shopped and we went with someone else....can't remember.  I rarely have a claim...but I have had a few cracked windshields.  The NEW company would NOT authorize an OEM (had the "HUMMER" label on the windshield)....I finally cajoled them...but it was a hassle.  

Then Hartford realized...OPPS...we goofed....we LOST business.  THEN, Hartford came down....we went back with them....  BUT the National General (Allstate) MH insurance was never changed.

NEXT UP...  Our agent....and the agency was sold TWICE and we lost our "pull" as the original owner was a friend....we started used them in 1978....  He sold out in maybe 2012....and then whoever bought them got "swallowed up".....so the agency name has changed THREE times since 2012...

NOW, the NEW owner will not WRITE Hartford (suspect the commission rates are lower).  We are using Auto Owners...  MAJOR REDUCTION in CAR AND HOME and UMBRELLA.  

OPPS...  National General has a max value on some "types of coverage" and Auto Owners' Umbrella requires MORE coverage so that the Umbrella has less exposure.  SO, we had to SWAP and to to another policy on the Motor Home.  That wiped out about HALF of the savings...

I'm TEMPTED to see if I can get coverage from ONE company again....

That's IT....

• Like 1

On 2/5/2024 at 9:32 AM, Dr4Film said:

However, my third call was the "CHARM". That was to RV America which landed me at a brokers office in Tennessee.  They quoted me a rate of $899 for one year with a company called Auto Owners Insurance. All three quotes were for basically the same level and type of coverage so as not to mix apples with oranges. The gentleman on the phone remarked that the state of Florida was only writing RV insurance policies with three companies, Progressive, National General and Auto Owners. Don't know if that statement is true or not.

Richard, I feel your pain.  My Progressive went from $1284 to $1950.  It too, is a Florida policy.  I searched around a lot and couldn’t find any great savings, so I stuck with them.  I will definitely check out RV America.  
My Progressive is through USAA, who I’ve been with for over 40 years.   My auto policies have skyrocketed, too.  No claims, just price increases.  There is no doubt in my mind that we (policyholders) are paying for all the money they didn’t make during COVID.   If you recall, they gave “discounts “ on auto policies since people weren’t driving.   Most of them paid their employees even though they weren’t working.  Ok, I’m done ranting…

• Like 1

I lost patience decades ago when my home+auto insurance agent kept announcing major price increases.  I really liked the guy, but pricing was out of his hands.  No MH then.  I changed to a different company at a much, much better rate.

My son works for one of the largest trash companies in the US.  One day in talking about his employer, he matter-of-factly stated that trash and insurance take the same approach to maximize profits.  They start with a "low" introductory price that has little profit.  Every year they bump it, say 10%, even though cost of living is a fraction of that.  With each bump, their statistics say they will loose a small portion of their customers, but with the increased pricing, they make a lot more money overall.  Apparently there is no end to the price increases and some customers will never change.  Those that do change, drop their cost, sometimes significantly.

The moral of the story is to never assume your provider is in it to be friends and have long term customers.

• Like 3