RV Insurance Sticker Shock!

I currently have the Motorhome on my auto policy with Grundy. It's covered at agreed value but they just had a rate increase so I may be shopping. Do any of the companies discussed above offer  agreed value on the Motorhome? 

5 minutes ago, det944 said:

I currently have the Motorhome on my auto policy with Grundy. It's covered at agreed value but they just had a rate increase so I may be shopping. Do any of the companies discussed above offer  agreed value on the Motorhome? 

When I switched from Grange to Auto Owners the rep I was dealing with called me to question the value, they had the value at ~$120K from when I first got insurance with Grange.  She said that was much higher then current value and I agreed.   So we settled on ~$58K, which I was fine with considering I paid $67K in 2008 when I bought the coach, which was a repo!

When searching for new policy I'd talk to the agents about RV value since I don't think NADA or JD Powers have accurate values since a lot depends on condition, upgrades etc.  But the higher value listed the higher the insurance cost. 

I live in Tennessee and have Farm Bureau Insurance. I just got my renewal policy for my autos. Motorhome is $196 for 6 months . Thats for full coverage with $500 deductible on collision and comprehensive, it also covers towing and car rental.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a twist from Progressive. There was only one company that would insure my son's 2018 Newell. No other company wanted to touch a $1.5 million coach. The annual premium was $11,000 with no accidents or traffic violations. He just emailed me that Progressive is now insuring up to $1.5 million in WI at least, through Artisans and Truckers Insurance. His premium dropped to $2365. That doesn't make sense at all considering what Richard stated in his first post. I'm hoping he was quoted correctly; however, it sure takes the insurance game to a new level.      

Insurance "BLUES" abound.  My tactic to get back to National General for the MH was to have another Independent write up all my policies. She is a cousin and worked for her father (State Farm Agent) for at least 30 odd years and after he sold the agency, another independent quickly hired her. She tried to get me insured based on the AutoOwner's three policies (Auto, Home & Umbrella - $5 Million) and Progressive (MH).

Some of the companies in NC are NOT providing Home if your roof is over 4 Years old.  THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT SHE TOLD ME.

Some of the companies, Progressive...I know, refuses to write an umbrella for more that $1,000,000 for anyone OVER 70....another was 75.  Talk about Age Discrimination.

Bottom line, we are keeping the Insurance with our long time agent.  

VERY CONFUSING....we just gave up and said... RENEW...  Too much hassle...

BTW...best of my memory.  We pay $1,500 for MH and it is valued, MEMORY, at $150K.  Obviously the scale is different, but that would equate to $15,000 if it were valued at $1.5 Million.  Tennessee rates are great....but not in NC...

Just a follow-up on my post, my new policy becomes effective on Friday, March 1st. Total cost is $899. I had to call Progressive today to cancel my existing policy effective March 1st.

We'll, the person on the other end of the phone attempted to persuade me to stay with Progressive allowing her to look for ways to reduce the premium from $2900 to something lower and more affordable.

I was adamant that I am done with Progressive because of the way they treat their long term customers by gouging them even when they have never filed any claims, had any accidents or traffic tickets, etc. ever.

I am so tired of dealing with these scumbags who all they want to do is rape you over the coals because you are such a good driver and never make any claims. When they should be going after the people who have multiple accidents, collect many traffic tickets, and submit many claims, etc.

So as a parting gift, I filed a claim with them to have a new windshield installed next week by RV Glass Solutions in Lakeland FL.

End of rant!

• Like 5

Thanks for your post. I am sure it opened many eyes. Including mine. Currently with NG. I started with Auto Owners in my area found a broker that writes for them. He gave me 3 quotes Auto Owners $935, or $813 if paid in full.  Safeco $1,345.  Progressive $1,987 or $1,883 if paid in full.  I am currently around $1900 with NG as of this last year. 

Needless to say i am moving over to Auto Owners from NG. I called and talked with my All State rep just to see if they could come close to the AO quote. She stated that NG is an All State company and nothing she could do. We talked about the policy with the same coverage. And i quote she said got with AO. Dropping NG does not affect any of my other polices. 

The way i am going to look at this is i had Windshield replaced last year. Figure that was my buy in paying the high rate insurance. At least a way for me to justify it. 

I just received my premium notice for next year for Auto-Owners.  Both home and auto went up substantially.  I switched from Grange Insurance to Auto-Owners in 2020 and at the time saved a substantial amount but it seems like the increases are unrelenting. 

Being a bit of an analytical freak I created a spreadsheet so I could see the costs for the 5 years of premiums.  This years premium increased between 12-14% for my autos but the RV insurance went up 30% from $261 to $340.  I have an agreed value of the coach of $57K which I think is fair considering I pair $67K in 2008.   But the $340 is still less then what I was paying through Grange. 

I have sent an inquiry to my agent but doubt there is an alternative.  I have read that auto insurance has gone up substantially so if one insurance company increases the rest will follow suit just because.   He is a broker so I have requested competitive quotes from the other companies he represents and will get a couple more just to keep everyone honest (but considering there is no honor among thieves it's loosing proposition).

Homeowners is probably worse, in 2022 my premium went up 17% with the reason being inflation to rebuild and general insurance increase.  So last year I kept the value the same and the cost still increase 7%, this year with the same value it went up ~14% and up 44% from 5 years ago. 

Running out of options to try and hold insurance costs at bay.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jacwjames said:

I just received my premium notice for next year for Auto-Owners.  Both home and auto went up substantially.  I switched from Grange Insurance to Auto-Owners in 2020 and at the time saved a substantial amount but it seems like the increases are unrelenting. 

Being a bit of an analytical freak I created a spreadsheet so I could see the costs for the 5 years of premiums.  This years premium increased between 12-14% for my autos but the RV insurance went up 30% from $261 to $340.  I have an agreed value of the coach of $57K which I think is fair considering I pair $67K in 2008.   But the $340 is still less then what I was paying through Grange. 

I have sent an inquiry to my agent but doubt there is an alternative.  I have read that auto insurance has gone up substantially so if one insurance company increases the rest will follow suit just because.   He is a broker so I have requested competitive quotes from the other companies he represents and will get a couple more just to keep everyone honest (but considering there is no honor among thieves it's loosing proposition).

Homeowners is probably worse, in 2022 my premium went up 17% with the reason being inflation to rebuild and general insurance increase.  So last year I kept the value the same and the cost still increase 7%, this year with the same value it went up ~14% and up 44% from 5 years ago. 

Running out of options to try and hold insurance costs at bay.  

Jim,

I am with Auto owners as well and have seen the premiums go up this year. My MH rate stayed the same at $115.00 but the truck and car went up. I have about the same agreed value of 58K but I use the MH about 6 months of the year and it is garaged at my home that may make the difference.

I searched about every other company and they are about the same but most will not cover a MH. The MH by it self would wind up costing about $1600/yr so that wipes out any savings on the auto's. 

So long story short, I'm staying with Auto Owners

Cliff

Any good insurance tip in N. Texas? I pay way way more than the quotes I am seeing here, like 1600/yr and could not get any better quotes. And thats after a proof that it is garaged and no claims ever. Auto Owners does not operate here.

1 minute ago, bborc555 said:

I have had auto owners on my cars, house and MH for the last 20 years and have had no problems with them . Just had the winsheild replaced in the MH last spring and no problems with them.

Have the premiums gone up? 

Is your policy and Agreed Value or an ACV policy?, big difference between what might be paid out in a loss situation,

On 2/5/2024 at 10:03 AM, Mike T Phillips said:

Please ckeck with a local body shop that would work on your coach if you had an accident.    Ask how they pay.   I have heard horrible things about American general.      I have nationwide and I’m in florida

Nationwide raised rates last year this time no increases Florida policy I have an Agreed value policy,  expensive yes, but so in the coach,

do not let your policy lapse you might not get it back, 

I asked our agent about my cost for our 2002 Sig from Encompass.

For your reference, I post his responses.

Your motorhome is covered on your Encompass policy and has $500,000
liability limit.  Your Encompass policy has $1,500,000 excess that applies
over vehicle and homes.  You have $2,000,000 vehicle liability coverage.

Annual premium for the motorhome is $362.

Gary,

You DO have coverage for Physical damage to your RV from collision and/or fire/theft/trees/etc.  Deductible is $1,000 and this cost is included in the $362 annual premium.

You have this coverage on all vehicles EXCEPT the 1980 Toyota pickup.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Gary Petersen said:

I asked our agent about my cost for our 2002 Sig from Encompass.

For your reference, I post his responses.

Your motorhome is covered on your Encompass policy and has $500,000
liability limit.  Your Encompass policy has $1,500,000 excess that applies
over vehicle and homes.  You have $2,000,000 vehicle liability coverage.

Annual premium for the motorhome is $362.

Gary,

You DO have coverage for Physical damage to your RV from collision and/or fire/theft/trees/etc.  Deductible is $1,000 and this cost is included in the $362 annual premium.

You have this coverage on all vehicles EXCEPT the 1980 Toyota pickup.

Is this for stated value, is so what value did you agree on. 

Thanks so much for this info. Will be looking up these guys for sure. Was not happy with National general. Big hassle trying to get windshield changed out. Now with progressive. 

On 2/29/2024 at 1:00 PM, Ivan K said:

Any good insurance tip in N. Texas? I pay way way more than the quotes I am seeing here, like 1600/yr and could not get any better quotes. And thats after a proof that it is garaged and no claims ever. Auto Owners does not operate here.

Homeowners rates in Texas rates have risen substantially the last couple of years, mainly due to a high claim rate because of weather. I thought it was mostly caused by hurricanes, but turns out its wildfires. The town of Fritch, in the panhandle, was ravaged this week for the second time in 5 years.  I had a roof claim for hail damage of almost $40K a couple years ago, but my rates didn't go up last year. I'm dreading this year's renewal. Having a recent claim makes it hard to change companies.

On 2/28/2024 at 8:03 PM, Dr4Film said:

Just a follow-up on my post, my new policy becomes effective on Friday, March 1st. Total cost is $899. I had to call Progressive today to cancel my existing policy effective March 1st.

We'll, the person on the other end of the phone attempted to persuade me to stay with Progressive allowing her to look for ways to reduce the premium from $2900 to something lower and more affordable.

I was adamant that I am done with Progressive because of the way they treat their long term customers by gouging them even when they have never filed any claims, had any accidents or traffic tickets, etc. ever.

I am so tired of dealing with these scumbags who all they want to do is rape you over the coals because you are such a good driver and never make any claims. When they should be going after the people who have multiple accidents, collect many traffic tickets, and submit many claims, etc.

So as a parting gift, I filed a claim with them to have a new windshield installed next week by RV Glass Solutions in Lakeland FL.

End of rant!

That claim you are filing for a new windshield might come back to bite you, insurance cos all know about claims made from other carriers.

If in FL you should not have a deductible to contend with, for windshields, read the policy!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, strangebird said:

That claim you are filing for a new windshield might come back to bite you, insurance cos all know about claims made from other carriers.

If in FL you should not have a deductible to contend with, for windshields, read the policy!

Based on what I was told by my Cousin, who retired as a State Farm agent and also owns a MH, each state has their own regulations for windshields.  NC has, I think, a rather poor one….in that you must pay the collision deductible as it is not covered by the Comprehensive part of the policy.  There was a movement many years ago by the MH industry to change that to a $50 or so limit….which would have also made all “bullseye” chip repairs subject to the same deductible.  Failed….  My cousin said this was discussed at one of their annual meetings and it was a patchwork quilt nightmare.  He received many awards as an “agent of the year” so he was not exactly just a lonely cog in a big machine…

• Like 1

When I had my windshield replaced here in Florida National general kept referring me to their 3rd party handler after telling me I could get it fixed anywhere. Just as I pulled up to Lloyds Glass in Pensacola they basically threaten me that my replacement would not be approved or I would be responsible for a major portion. Told Lloyds Glass, they said don’t worry we will bill the Insurance company direct. Still got a bill from 3rd party. Lloyds handled it. $0 out of pocket. 

"Is this for stated value, is so what value did you agree on?" 

To follow up on Jacwjames' above insurance question, I was enlightened to received the following "coverage" response from my insurance agent. 

"Actual Cash Value:  ACV is defined as replacement cost, less depreciation.  In WA, this also means market value.  Vehicles are generally written on an ACV basis.  When your 2005 Suburban is stolen, the insurance carrier will try to determine the current market value of a 2005 Suburban with similar features and condition of yours.  All of your vehicles, including the motorhome, are on an ACV basis".

OK, Is ACV typical across the US? Or just in Washington?

I appreciated the question which, helped me to better understand my insurance coverage.  

8 hours ago, Gary Petersen said:

"Is this for stated value, is so what value did you agree on?" 

To follow up on Jacwjames' above insurance question, I was enlightened to received the following "coverage" response from my insurance agent. 

"Actual Cash Value:  ACV is defined as replacement cost, less depreciation.  In WA, this also means market value.  Vehicles are generally written on an ACV basis.  When your 2005 Suburban is stolen, the insurance carrier will try to determine the current market value of a 2005 Suburban with similar features and condition of yours.  All of your vehicles, including the motorhome, are on an ACV basis".

OK, Is ACV typical across the US? Or just in Washington?

I appreciated the question which, helped me to better understand my insurance coverage.  

ACV is not necessarily a good thing.  Look up the value on your coach in NADA or Kelly Bluebook.  Lots of variables and does it truly represent what your coach is worth.  Can you find another coach for that, probably not.  When something happens you really don't have a lot of leverage to negotiate. 

2 hours ago, jacwjames said:

ACV is not necessarily a good thing.

True.  If you are the underwriter, how would you make the owner happy with compensation?  If, as an owner, you want a higher coverage value, then expect a higher premium.  One way or another, a claim will cost you.  Used replacements are rarely in your neighborhood.  Does their compensation cover the cost to get a replacement to your location?  How about sales tax?  Registration fees?  Forget about any customization or upgrades.  There is a delicate dance between coverage and premiums, and we all know that a claim will raise the premium - enough to recover that claim over a short period of time.  Not fair in my eyes, but other than shopping for a new provider, or finding 'liability only' coverage, what else is one to do?  A year and a half ago, when I got my coach, my insurer looked up the current used book value and said the value was more than what I paid.  He asked which value did I want?  The premium would reflect the amount covered.

Another way of thinking about insurance might be to consider it as protection against catastrophic financial loss.  You will have out-of-pocket costs, but it can keep you from loosing your shirt.

Edited by DBRV.0