Norcold no power

Hancoman

Leaving on a trip next week. Straighting up the motor home a little thought I would turn on the refer, nothing no lights no codes no nothing. Checked breakers everything ok. Went outside took the cover off and discovered a red blinking light, any ideas.

IMG_0066.jpeg

That is an aftermarket over temperature protection device. If it sees the temperature where it’s connected on the tubes to get too hot, it will shut everything down. So either it has died and you need to reset it or you actually have a problem with the cooling portion of the refrigerator. 

Is that the device that can only be reset with a magnet?  If you get it reset, monitor fridge operation very closely!

I bought a small compressor fridge that I could plug in to +12V or 120VAC as a backup.  It's also nice to have cold stuff next to me while I drive, and it works better than the absorption fridge.  Delivery is 2 days, so you don't have to cancel your trip.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CB868H1F/

Good luck getting chill

- bob

I had this happen to me while using the rig.  I reset it with a magnet and it worked >>>> for a day.

Went back outside and found the bottom of the fridge covered in yellow dust.   Unplugged the fridge and was thankful it didn't catch fire. 

Never looked back, installed a residential refrigerator. 

If you decide to reset I'd make sure your smoke alarm is working, fire extinguishers ready (may consider buying extras), and have your escape route planned and practiced. 

My light is blinking, it says I have a different problem and reset with a magnet won’t work. Refrigerator did not quit while running, it was running fine last time it was used. Just tried to turn it on yesterday and got nothing on the inside, looked outside and discovered the blinking light

I’ve had that happen a few times after I washed the RV it does reset with a strong magnetic you have to hold it in the right spot and wait till you hear it click 10-20 seconds good luck. I hold mine next to the red light.

Don

Resetting a failed safety device, with a magnet, designed to prevent overheating and possibly fires, what could possibly go wrong? Yes, I am one of those guys that installed a Frigidaire after many years of replacing parts and worrying about the next failure with possible tragic results. Life is too short and too precious. With a little planning and one days effort, a household unit can be installed.

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to go with a residential refrigerator going to be installed first week in May. I am guessing this is the original refrigerator so it lasted 23 years. If anyone is looking for parts let me know.

Tom

4 hours ago, Hancoman said:

Decided to go with a residential refrigerator going to be installed first week in May. I am guessing this is the original refrigerator so it lasted 23 years. If anyone is looking for parts let me know.

Tom

good decision.  

When I swapped out mine to a residential maybe 5 years ago, I salvaged the fans from the back of the old fridge,  and I think a couple interior plastic trays for other projects.   Our local trash vendor picks up appliances for free, so off it went.

30 minutes ago, windsorbill06 said:

good decision.  

When I swapped out mine to a residential maybe 5 years ago, I salvaged the fans from the back of the old fridge,  and I think a couple interior plastic trays for other projects.   Our local trash vendor picks up appliances for free, so off it went.

Which make of residential did you install Bill?

I went with the Samsung french door model.  I know some have had issues, but mine has been flawless.    At the time, I had a MSW inverter, and Samsung was one of the few (maybe the only one) that would work with MSW's.   Also the dimensions were very close.  I think it's a couple inches taller, then the Norcold was, but width and depth were virtually the same. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Hancoman said:

Tom

Tom do you have the 1200 4 door fridge? I see you are in the Seattle area and I have a friend in Shoreline who is looking for the big right door due to broken hinge mounting area and I might be interested in some interior items. Thanks Don.