ESCO ES50M-65N Transfer Switch AC hum concerns.

Go to solution Solved by NAMVET77,

I have the ESSCO ES50M-65N Transfer Switch and it is humming much louder than normal.  I'm thinking one of the relays is going bad.  I'm getting ready to go on the road in a couple days and I want to buy just the one relay and have it available just in case it does go out.  Does anyone have the part number for the relay?

Don

59 minutes ago, NAMVET77 said:

I have the ESSCO ES50M-65N Transfer Switch and it is humming much louder than normal.  I'm thinking one of the relays is going bad.  I'm getting ready to go on the road in a couple days and I want to buy just the one relay and have it available just in case it does go out.  Does anyone have the part number for the relay?

Don

You have the “Sherman Tank” of the ESCO ATS.  Was used extensively.  But, the main complaint was AC HUM and noise,  Two AC  coil relays. Hum is what it did….when new.  Drove wives crazy…..and many complained.  ESCO bought the LYGHT LPT50BRD.  That is more popular due to the which is a low voltage, not 120 VAC line voltage model.  Call ESCO.  They still stock the parts and you can order it from them.  Due to the age, we do not, I think, have the manual or Parts List. However, the ESCO tech support is great..one of best.

Here is a pic of the contactor but you may want to confirm as Tom said. May have used different ones over the years. Also it may go away if you unplug and plug again. I also read somewhere that a capacitor replacement on the board fixed excessive hum but it is a hearsay. 

Screenshot_20240424_205049_Chrome.jpg

Thanks Ivan.  I'm going to call Esco in the AM to see about the hum.  It sure is loud and just under the bedroom window.

Don

Thanks Tom.  Definitely calling Esco in the AM.

Don

Brad,

No chatter.  It is definitely a loud hum.

Don

• Tom Cherry changed the title to ESCO ES50M-65N Transfer Switch AC hum concerns.
7 hours ago, NAMVET77 said:

Thanks Ivan.  I'm going to call Esco in the AM to see about the hum.  It sure is loud and just under the bedroom window.

Don

Thanks Tom.  Definitely calling Esco in the AM.

Don

Brad,

No chatter.  It is definitely a loud hum.

Don

Good deal.  ESCO may “advise” repairing, which is simple for almost anyone to do.  They may determine that the parts or the age of the switch do not make it “cost effective”.

In the past, after many back and forth sessions with the ESCO techs…including a couple of hours with their chief Design Engineer, they usually recommend, like when folks had the ill fated IOTA, that you install the LPT50BRD. Now, that was a while back…. But they do or did warn that if the “65N” was purchased instead that it “would/might/will” hum.  How loud and how annoying….location and hearing of the occupants and such varies.  To date…..as in over 15 years, only a few of the 65N were used for an IOTA replacement …and there was one or two that said….”gee, wish I had known that”.

So that is the caveat…that many don’t know.  ESCO will help you…and many, especially the early members of the Yahoo group really LIKED that model….even though it was only used a few years…..then Monaco switched to the IOTA on the lower end and the TRC Surgeguard…with a proprietary interface with the Aladdin, on the upper ends….

Now, you know “the rest of the story”….

Thanks Russ. I’ll check it out.  I normally have a hum that we are use to but not it is 3 to 4 times louder.  Plus it’s located just under the bedroom window so if it keeps up like that it will be heard while trying to sleep.  Don’t like that. 
Don

Tom

Thanks for the background information. Good to know. I’m calling Esco in a few minutes to see what they say.  I’m going to stand by the unit and let them hear it so they can hear how loud it is.  I’ll look at the troubleshooting guide to see if there is anything I can do.  Not sure there is. More to follow. 
Don

If it were matter of tightening some relay mounts, wire connections or box mounts I imagine someone would have suggested it . . . . but that would be my first go-to to lessen the hum or at least get it back to "original" hum.

I'm imagining Esco will recommend complete replacement for liability reasons. 

If you do open the box be sure to disconnect from shore power and not run the genny.  Hopefully that goes without saying.

And of course keep us posted what they say.

- bob

• Like 1

Yes, As Bob H. said, check all electrical connections (both 120v and 12v) as our lovely smooth roads will loosen them up. Loose high amp loads can start fires and do.

• Solution

OK.  Just called ESCO and they recommend a new switch that is relay based so there will be no humming at all (only $330).  So I'm going to open it up, clean it, make sure everything is tight then try it again. A new coil and/or contactor might fix it but as they said the hum is inherent to that switch.  Thanks for everyones ideas and suggestions.

Don 

14 minutes ago, NAMVET77 said:

OK.  Just called ESCO and they recommend a new switch that is relay based so there will be no humming at all (only $330).  So I'm going to open it up, clean it, make sure everything is tight then try it again. A new coil and/or contactor might fix it but as they said the hum is inherent to that switch.  Thanks for everyones ideas and suggestions.

Don 

Is it the LPT50BRD?  Good deal….it is a low voltage switch.  Great reliability…..the most commonly stocked one….

On 4/24/2024 at 5:52 PM, NAMVET77 said:

Don

If it is actually a humming noise when activated, it is most likely the contact relay solenoid humming. If you can open it up, the contact relay should have a make and part number on it, and should be available anywhere online at a reasonable cost. Whatever you do, make sure you are unplugged from Shore power and the generator is not running when working on this d*** thing.

1 hour ago, Kenster said:

If it is actually a humming noise when activated, it is most likely the contact relay solenoid humming. If you can open it up, the contact relay should have a make and part number on it, and should be available anywhere online at a reasonable cost. Whatever you do, make sure you are unplugged from Shore power and the generator is not running when working on this d*** thing.

Yes,

Don did that and the OEM folks and he decided NOT to replace it.  The original design of this switch always had a "60 Hertz" buzz or hum.  NEW or after awhile.  Don's started making a LOUDER noise...so he worked with ESCO and made the call.

I would not guarantee, based on reading what folks have posted that tightening will fix it....nor will putting in a new one.  It was not exactly a design defect...but sort of an unintended consequence.  BUT, the 65N is very robust....and if you don't sleep over it....then it does not bother you...or if you have a severe hearing impairment and don't, of course, wear your devices at night....it doesn't bother folks.  A few, I think, actually say it works as "White Noise"

Totally agree with your logic and such...but the characteristics of it and this spans over 20 years does not always "fix it", for some, like NEW or out of the box...it did it.  

Thanks for the insight...

5 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

Yes,

Don did that and the OEM folks and he decided NOT to replace it.  The original design of this switch always had a "60 Hertz" buzz or hum.  NEW or after awhile.  Don's started making a LOUDER noise...so he worked with ESCO and made the call.

I would not guarantee, based on reading what folks have posted that tightening will fix it....nor will putting in a new one.  It was not exactly a design defect...but sort of an unintended consequence.  BUT, the 65N is very robust....and if you don't sleep over it....then it does not bother you...or if you have a severe hearing impairment and don't, of course, wear your devices at night....it doesn't bother folks.  A few, I think, actually say it works as "White Noise"

Totally agree with your logic and such...but the characteristics of it and this spans over 20 years does not always "fix it", for some, like NEW or out of the box...it did it.  

6 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

Yes,

That is the same one I have and it's quiet. Open the cover and packet full of when not fully seated; not that I would know look what the devil rockwool.🤪

I have a significant experience with motor relays and solenoids, and I know they will humm like the devil if not fully seated; not that I would know what a humming devil sounds like.

Damned autocorrect. Pack it full of rockwool.