Posted (edited)

We were traveling today in a 2008 Dynasty with ISM500. It suddenly lost power and the stop engine light came on.  I pulled over and stopped the engine. A few minutes, later, I restarted it and all was fine. No dash warning light and power was normal. Have any of you had this experience? What was the cause? I looked at the code that was stored and it was SPN 111 FM1 17

After doing a bit of research, it appears this may code may be coolant related. At least SPN 111 FM 1 points to that. I am not sure what the 17 means. The engine temp was normal. I can see coolant in the sight glass on the reservoir. I wonder if going up and down mountains can impact the sensor. 

Edited by Doug and Nicki

I had a similar occurrence maybe 2 years ago driving down the interstate an hour from the nearest civilization. I stopped, googled the issue, let the engine cool, checked all the fluids and found nothing abnormal. I started the coach and saw no alerts or warning lights and all the values were in range. Idled for a couple of minutes and then drove the 110 miles to our destination campground (we are full timers). Investigating learned it might be a marginal sensor or even just a glitch. We later had the rig serviced, once by our normal shop and later by Cummin. Neither found anything that would have caused the stop engine now message. (Although when traveling in Alaska 12k miles later we did have a problem with our fuel rail pressure controller (sorry I don't remember the exact part name) that was reducing fuel pressure at the injectors by 60pct. But that left lots of codes (and no stop engine light just a warning light and degraded performance) and was diagnosed in 15 minutes) We had no reoccurrence of the stop engine now in the 15k miles we have driven since. I believe it was just a glitch. YMMV. Hope this helps even though I have an 2008 ISL. Good luck. BTW, driving after getting the stop engine now was rather stressful. I watched my gauges and warning lights like a hawk with nothing to show for the effort but a sore neck and a stress headache after the 2 hours driving that way let us know if you find anything that could cause it.

John

I have had the STOP light come on as well. Its the sensor in the overflow antifreeze tank from what I can figure. After sitting for awhile it seems to act up. After driving for awhile and the fluid splashes around it usually stays off for the duration of the trip. Its not a certain fix but it works for me.

I also get this "stop" light on the dash and at the same time loose throttle control.   After stopping immediately the first couple times it happened and checking all physical checks on the engine and finding nothing, I restart and find it has cleared.   Cummins said it was the accelerator pedal communication to the ECM.   There is a dual check communication line and if either is misbehaving a stop light comes on.   I have spent over $5K with Cummins to find the issue including changing accelerator and brake assembly.   When the light comes on accelerator control is lost but the cruise feature continues to operate.    I now just continue to drive and it clears itself or stop and turn engine off and restart, depending on driving conditions, and it is gone.   If you find the real cause I will be monitoring this post.   I have checked the connectors at both ends and been to 3 different places to have it looked at.   Issue becomes it does not stay.   Can't fix what's not there at the time.   ECM showed 38 instances when I took it to Cummins but there was none when they had it.

• Like 2

On 5/26/2024 at 9:48 AM, pcpronze said:

I also get this "stop" light on the dash and at the same time loose throttle control.   After stopping immediately the first couple times it happened and checking all physical checks on the engine and finding nothing, I restart and find it has cleared.   Cummins said it was the accelerator pedal communication to the ECM.   There is a dual check communication line and if either is misbehaving a stop light comes on.   I have spent over $5K with Cummins to find the issue including changing accelerator and brake assembly.   When the light comes on accelerator control is lost but the cruise feature continues to operate.    I now just continue to drive and it clears itself or stop and turn engine off and restart, depending on driving conditions, and it is gone.   If you find the real cause I will be monitoring this post.   I have checked the connectors at both ends and been to 3 different places to have it looked at.   Issue becomes it does not stay.   Can't fix what's not there at the time.   ECM showed 38 instances when I took it to Cummins but there was none when they had it.

I'm curious - if I read your post correctly, since you are still showing 38 instances of issues after the accelerator (I assume you mean throttle position sensor) was replaced, even without seeing an active fault, did they remove the 80 pin chassis interface cable connection on the engine ECM to inspect the inside pins for corrosion?