Need new slideout awning fabric

Posted (edited)

I have a 99 Diplomat and my slideout fabric is starting to pull out of the track (the thread has finally given up) i believe this is a Carefree  Omega 176” in Dark Blue does anyone carry these or do i need to special order it from carefree. Thank you guys in advance 

Edited by Kuhlbreeze

There are other companies that will make it to your measurements. I went with True Toppers instead one year ago and I love them. 

• Thanks 1

I have a 2002 hr endeavor and all the slide out awnings could use replacing. are there replacements available without having them special made?   how difficult are they to replace?

6 hours ago, mello1 said:

I have a 2002 hr endeavor and all the slide out awnings could use replacing. are there replacements available without having them special made?   how difficult are they to replace?

I don't think that there are standard replacement covers available. Stone Vos will give you specific instructions on how to measure your convers for the replacement fabric, in addition, they give you the instructions on how to replace them.  Plus there are a few videos out there on YouTube as well. They are not hard to replace, but it will take at least two people.  My wife and I replaced ours. I needed to straighten out a couple of areas on my channels but it is aluminum and easy to manipulate. It took me a few hours to do two on the passenger side toppers, In addition, I worked the beltline repairs (popped and pulled through rivets)on that side as well. That took me a couple of days though.

• Thanks 1

If you can use black or white fabric you can purchase bulk Solera slide topper fabric from Amazon.  Here is the link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MSM26L0/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1 If you are handy at all and can gain access it is pretty simple to replace.  There are several You Tube videos showing the process.

When I went to replace my slide topper material, the material that was on the roll was like brand new. I just reversed the material. That was five years ago. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KevinH said:

When I went to replace my slide topper material, the material that was on the roll was like brand new. I just reversed the material. That was five years ago. 

I did the same on my narrow curbside slides.

Unfortunately on newer rigs you can’t just reverse the fabric as the diameter of the splines are different but there’s enough unused on 3 of the 4 to cut off the used. Regardless you still need to re-sew all 4 edges with UV thread.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ivylog said:

Unfortunately on newer rigs you can’t just reverse the fabric as the diameter of the splines are different but there’s enough unused on 3 of the 4 to cut off the used. Regardless you still need to re-sew all 4 edges with UV thread.

I've managed to swap splines on my fabric!

Takes a couple of people, but it's doable.

2 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

I've managed to swap splines on my fabric!

Takes a couple of people, but it's doable.

It’s the thread that gives out after 10 years, not the fabric so I’d rather cut the old off and sew all 4 edges.

On my coach the edge of the topper is exactly the width of the slide out.  So on medium rains the water drips a little under the topper and onto the top of the slide out.   I am considering replacing the topper material and there is room on the topper roller to extend about 1 inch on both sides.  Has anyone replaced the topper material to make it a bit larger than the slide out width so rain doesn't drip down under onto the slide out top?

3 hours ago, Bill R said:

On my coach the edge of the topper is exactly the width of the slide out.  So on medium rains the water drips a little under the topper and onto the top of the slide out.   I am considering replacing the topper material and there is room on the topper roller to extend about 1 inch on both sides.  Has anyone replaced the topper material to make it a bit larger than the slide out width so rain doesn't drip down under onto the slide out top?

If there is room on the tube, go for it!

Recall looking at a neighbors Tiffin Bus. They were smart, and installed toppers that were about 6" longer than the slide, on each end!

14 hours ago, Bill R said:

Replaced the big slide with an inch longer on each end, still had room, should have gone two inches.  Stone Vos awnings...THE BEST!

• Like 1

When when we purchased our Monaco nearly 4 years ago the three slide out awnings we're showing their age, as the patio awning was seldom used it was in nearly mint condition. Went online to Amazon and purchased pre-cut Shade Pro awnings that were a bit larger than slide awnings Monaco installed at the factory.  I wanted to add a few inches in order to have better coverage, not sure why the factory installed the bare minimum as there is plenty of space to add additional awning material.

YouTube videos show the extensive damage caused on Monaco coaches from slide out awnings not providing sufficient coverage to alleviate water penetration issue.  Anyway, the process of removing and installing new slide out awning material is simple enough, after removing factory installed material we laid it on top of new Shade Pro material and trimmed accordingly adding about 4" overall.  Using a couple of ladders we installed all 3 in a couple of hours, good time to inspect/clean top seals.

Shade Pro awning material we purchased from Amazon appears more sturdy and durable than factory installed material, four years later they still look brand new.  We were able to get it in silver gray better matching the full body paint scheme of our Monaco motorcoach.  Material for all 3 awnings were under $200 total, well under the nearly $1K we were quoted by local RV shops including local Camping World for our 3 slide outs, certainly pays to be handy on these older coaches. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My Carefree SOK II slide out awning toppers were showing its age and the threads have rotted apart. I was in Mexico at the time and had an upholsterer re-stitch the RV side of the awning to get by.  When in Canada I bought the Solera Lippert Universal Slide Topper Fabric from Amazon.  For about $350 CDN you can buy a roll of 13.5 oz vinyl coated fabric in white or black that is more than enough to do all the slide toppers.  I am really happy with the fabric and the replacement turned out great.  This topper material is much better than the original fabric from OEM.

Just a few install notes: 

- On one side of the topper fabric there is a thicker poly dowel rod (black rod) for the RV side channel.  The smaller diameter rod goes to your spring tensioned roller side

- The seams on the vinyl fabric should go with the vinyl welded side down

- Buy a vice grip off of Amazon for removing stubborn oil filters.  This is needed to clamp and secure the spring tensioned roller and then to slide the old fabric out and the new fabric on the roller

- On the edge of the roller use a die grinder with a carbide bit to remove the material above the drilled hole to have the fabric slide off/on without removing the roller

- Instructions for those that need some guidance: Two people are needed.  See which way the topper fabric will be removed through the RV side dowel rod channel. Remove the roller cover end caps, screws in the RV channel that hold the fabric in place, and full length roller cover.  Feed out the awning fabric off the roller by turning roller assembly until the roller dowel rod comes into view on the top side of the roller.  Lock the roller with the vice grip. Make sure the roller will not move or you will have the roller lose its tension...  You can also use a cotter pin (or equivalent rod) to lock the spring, look at the attached pdf for details.  Grind out the top of roller tube mount hole so the roller dowel rod has clear access to be slid out of the roller through the mount (see picture below).  Carefree should have had this engineered into their design, but here we are...  Remove the fabric from roller and RV channel.  Cut to length new fabric off of the fresh roll.  I would suggest measuring the entire roller tube length and subtract 3 inches so there is 1.5 inches on each side of roller where the fabric is not present.  Use a carpenter square to have your cuts square and clean. Install the fabric and install is in reverse process of above.  Hope this helps, it worked out great on my moho.

image.png.f92eabbb2ee5f8cc3b33e23142464f7c.png    image.png.66255e6d46318c22ab9efc8a2ad409a6.png

Carefree SlideOut Kover SOK II Canopy Replacement.pdf

Is there any real advantage to buying the custom manufactured slide cover vs using the amazon material. I realize not having a hemmed edge on the sides, but???

Edited by mello1

7 hours ago, mello1 said:

Is there any real advantage to buying the custom manufactured slide cover vs using the amazon material. I realize not having a hemmed edge on the sides, but???

I was looking at first at going the custom route.  The benefits there would be custom coloring and you can get thicker vinyl if you want. There is lots of choices you can make going custom but it all comes with a price tag.

For me 13.5 oz vinyl is very thick and the Lippert bulk material is better than what came on the coach in the first place.  White is perfect for extreme sun and heat and I would prefer the welded vinyl seam over stitching because of the UV destroying the stitching like the previous covers.  The cut seam on the side is not a concern after you look at how the material is vinyl coated after you cut to length.  Lastly the price was right...

If you really think that you need it stitched an upholstery shop can run it through a machine on the cut edges.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brad Loehr said:

I was looking at first at going the custom route.  The benefits there would be custom coloring and you can get thicker vinyl if you want. There is lots of choices you can make going custom but it all comes with a price tag.

For me 13.5 oz vinyl is very thick and the Lippert bulk material is better than what came on the coach in the first place.  White is perfect for extreme sun and heat and I would prefer the welded vinyl seam over stitching because of the UV destroying the stitching like the previous covers.  The cut seam on the side is not a concern after you look at how the material is vinyl coated after you cut to length.  Lastly the price was right...

If you really think that you need it stitched an upholstery shop can run it through a machine on the cut edges.

Your referencing the "Lippert" bulk Material. is that a brand or a style. I see the Sol something sold on Amazon, is that the same??

6 minutes ago, mello1 said:

Your referencing the "Lippert" bulk Material. is that a brand or a style. I see the Sol something sold on Amazon, is that the same??

Yes,  they are the same item.  Lippert is the manufacturer and Solera is the fabric style

image.thumb.png.4e2da9906b96b8d4b076c9428284c17b.png