Which chassis do I have?

Joe,

I guess maybe the RR8S would be the closest. However it is not a Raised Rail, you have the premier 8 bag Semi-Monocoque Chassis.

The 8 stands for 8 air bags and the S stands for side radiator. That was one of the main criteria why I chose the 2002 Windsor back in 2003.

Edited by Dr4Film

9 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Joe,

I guess maybe the RR8S would be the closest. However it is not a Raised Rail, you have the premier 8 bag Semi-Monocoque Chassis.

The 8 stands for 8 air bags and the S stands for side radiator. That was one of the main criteria why I chose the 2002 Windsor back in 2003.

Why would the Monaco 2002 sales brochure say it's a RM8H?  

Joe, from google search, 3rd or maybe even 5th hand information says that RM8H would have steel house construction where RR8S would have aluminum house framing, bolted to the chassis. If you see the sidewall framing in humid mornings, you'll have steel welded framing, IMO preferable. I do not know if this is 100% correct information about all RR8S but someone might confirm. I can see the sidewall framing very obviously on ours when the weather is right.

Ivan is right. RM8H is the welded steel house on the Semi-Monocoque Chassis.

RM stands for Road Master, 8 stands for the number of air bags and I have no idea what the H stands for.

You have the same chassis that all of the Sig's, Exec's and Dynasty's have.

I can see all of the house framing on a nice moist cool morning. That's how the tech at Elite RV Remodeling in Oregon was able to determine that he didn't have to cut trough any steel metal frame to install the exterior exhaust vent for the over the stove microwave fan.

Edited by Dr4Film

Short story.

My very first Class A was a 1992 Airstream Land-Yacht I had purchased in November 2002. After using it a few times over the next dew months I quickly realized that I would need something larger with slides and a LOT more inside and outside storage as I wanted it for Full-Time RVing. So I spent the better part of 2003 doing a lot of research, going to RV shows and RV sales lots just to go through various coaches, brands, models and floor-plans. I finally decided on searching specifically for a 2002 Windsor but wasn't firm on a floor-plan.

In early November of 2003 I had arranged for a purchase in Florida (I was in California at the time) for a 2002 Windsor PST but the guy sold it over the weekend locally after we had made the deal. As it turned out it was a blessing in disguise. The very next day I had found a 2002 WIndsor with a PBT floor-plan in California which was only a 3 hour drive from where I was living. We made a deal and I became the new owner in December of 2003. The PBT floor-plan was a far better fit for us versus the PST floor-plan.

I have no desire to change or upgrade. This coach was my first and last diesel pusher. I have now owned it almost 17 years and it is now 19 years old as it was delivered to the original owners in September of 2001. It has made three trips to Alaska and back and we plan to make at least one more God willing. When we go there we spend the entire summer usually two months with my older son and GK's in Anchorage and another two months with my younger son in Fairbanks. We get up there mid May and leave late in September before the snow starts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, MSHappyCampers said:

Why would the Monaco 2002 sales brochure say it's a RM8H?  

Yes, but the brochure also describes it as "Semi-monocoque design, with its bridge-like superstructure..." the same description is in the Dynasty and Signature brochures.  The only difference is they also mention the RM10H for the larger Dynastys and Sigs.  The picture looks the same on all three excepting that the Dyn and Sig show the tag axle chassis.  Apparently they didn't use the "S" designation yet back in 2002.

A sure way of telling is to use a strong magnet up top to find the steel superstructure.

image.png.2fd34c65a8ff5c16101e4d2bb33c5200.png

image.png.47328f3710fc93282a042066f7991829.png

"RM stands for Road Master, 8 stands for the number of air bags and I have no idea what the H stands for"

Richard

The "H" mean Side Radiator (Horizontal Flow)

11 hours ago, MSHappyCampers said:

I can see the framing from outside on certain days so I guess means I have the steel framing, which was my understanding from the beginning.  Thanks for all your comments!  

Joe

Joe,

I am positive that you have the steel framing but I would like to point out to everyone that using the early morning condensation test is not a conclusive test for the steel construction. I know this because we have the sidewalls with the aluminum framing and can see the framing on mornings when moisture condensates on the aluminum frame. I installed the dryer vent in the side of the coach and that is how I determined where to drill the 3 inch hole. The steel may present a higher differential temperature between the fiberglass siding and where the frame contacts the siding but the aluminium also does that.

Edited by Bob Nodine
  • Like 2

My 98 is steel and I can see every piece but not on the slide as that was made from aluminum except for the supports that it sits on. It has two long hydrollic beams that run from each rail even though it only extends 19 inches. This I believe was their first entry into slides. The roof has two steel beams on both sides of each AC unit and two spaced in the middle between the AC units. Then there is one along the front and back. When I took out my TV over the driver's seat I noticed the front metal cross piece had a broken weld. The piece look ed like it was added on as an after thought. I was concerned so went to Coburg and stayed at their facility and went through the tour of the plant. Afterwards I drove down to the office and a guy came out and looked at it and he told me Monaco did not install it and that it must have been done by a purchaser of the rig. I called both previous owners and they were confused but said they didn't do anything like that. I found out that Monaco would not tell you any history of the rig as that was confidential to the original purchaser. I thought the whole thing was odd but I still have it. I had a guy come out and weld it back together. I don't know what would have broken the weld except maybe the weight of the TV.  Mine was built in Indiana and I think they were stoned when mine was put together.

• 2 weeks later...