Getting soft in old age

So, I found a cute little baby mouse in one of my non lethal traps.  I took it outside as we were leaving and set her free.  Am I to soft or have others done this. It was so cute looking up at me with those eyes saying thank you and ran away.  Just some humor for an otherwise dull morning.  Stay safe all. 

Edited by Joelsheriff
  • Thanks 1

Believe me! You are not the only one.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Joelsheriff said:

So, I found a cute little baby mouse in one of my non lethal traps.  I took it outside as we were leaving and set her free.  Am I to soft or have others done this. It was so cute looking up at me with those eyes saying thank you and ran away.  Just some humor for an otherwise dull morning.  Stay safe all. 

I would have given it a nice meal then let it go.

Edited by saflyer

I kill all the nuisance critters I can, though I leave the ones that are beneficial to humans alone.

As we are the top predator on this earth, I consider the good of humanity above all else.

This summer I had set a trap to catch and kill groundhogs.  One day I found a possum in the trap.  He'd been sitting in the hot sun for a while, so when I turned him loose he seemed a bit weak and didn't run off.  I set a bowl of water down in front of him. He promptly drank about half of it, looked up at me as if to say "thanks", and wandered off. LOL

I believe as we get old we understand the struggles of living a long healthy life. This probably is why we now have an appreciation for all living creatures.

I was an avid hunter and spent every spare hour I had in the field. I can remember days I would take my hunting dog and gear to work with me so I could head straight to the field after I left work. Since I have gotten older I no longer hunt and leave my passion for firearms to the gun range. I give a pass to all living creatures these days except poisonous snakes and rats. One only has to be bitten by a poisonous snake once like I have and go through hell afterwards to have an appreciation of snuffing their life out. We have resident black snakes that I love having around but the poisonous ones get dispatched. The same holds true for rats. Had them chew up the wiring on my tractor and that pretty much ended my giving a pass to them.

I find it interesting to see how our mind set changes as we age. We suddenly reach a point in our older life where we see things we never did before and have an appreciation for many things we never did as young adults. And this I might add is a good thing. On a decent into Tampa airport yesterday evening I marveled at the cloud formations. When I was 21 I could have cared less. As we age we all of sudden see all these little things and think...... Wow..... How cool is that. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

This is part of the advantage of traveling this wonderful country in a RV. We get to see and enjoy God's creations first hand. Through that huge picture window, we use to call it wind shield, we enjoy what so many take for granted. When I commuted to work, driving fast was just a way to save time, now, driving is an adventure and I can hardly wait to round the next curve. Maybe that is why there are very few strangers in RV parks and big smiles. Safe travels to all.

Something I feel is appropriate for this Topic:

AS I AGE;

I enjoy Flying, Auto Racing, Camping and helping people any way I can. I'm just happy I can still do the many things I can.

As I've aged, I've become kinder to myself, and less critical of myself. I've become my own friend. I have seen too many dear friends leave this world, too soon; before they understood the great freedom that comes with aging.

Whose business is it, if I choose to read, or play on the computer until 4 AM or sleep until noon? I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 50, 60 & 70's, and if I, at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love, I will.

I will walk the beach, in a swimsuit that is stretched over a bulging body, and will dive into the waves, with abandon if I choose to, despite the pitying glances from the jet set. They too, will get old.

I know I am sometimes forgetful. But there again, some of life is just as well forgotten. And, I eventually remember the important things.

Sure, over the years, my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break, when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers, or even when your beloved pet passes? But broken hearts are what give us strength, and understanding, and compassion. A heart never broken, is pristine, and sterile, and will never know the joy of being imperfect.

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning gray, and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face. So many have never laughed, and so many have died before their hair could turn silver.

As I get older, it is easier to be positive. I care less about what other people think. I don't question myself anymore. I've even earned the right to be wrong.

I like being old. It has set me free. I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been or worrying about what will be. And I shall eat dessert every single day (if I feel like it).

Dave

• Like 6

I opened my basement and besides the droppings all over everything the mouse had a litter in a box. I threw the box out on the ground. By the time I went back to the box that mother had grabbed all her babies and took them somewhere. Mice are a constant problem and is the first thing I look for. I won't stomp them though. I like poison and the yellow mouse traps work good. I took off a clearance light on my back fiberglass and now have a bird in my ceiling, not realizing the hole is a perfect size of a bird house. Why do they have to live with humans?

54 minutes ago, Tim503 said:

I opened my basement and besides the droppings all over everything the mouse had a litter in a box. I threw the box out on the ground. By the time I went back to the box that mother had grabbed all her babies and took them somewhere. Mice are a constant problem and is the first thing I look for. I won't stomp them though. I like poison and the yellow mouse traps work good. I took off a clearance light on my back fiberglass and now have a bird in my ceiling, not realizing the hole is a perfect size of a bird house. Why do they have to live with humans?

Birds can be a real nuisance, and are very destructive.  Anything that craps while it flies is pure evil. 😉

I had a pair that kept building a nest on top of one of my front porch lights.
I'd tear it down every day when I got home, and it'd be back the next afternoon, along with a mess of twigs and crap all over the floor and brick wall.
Eventually I went out of town, and my wife failed to keep it torn down.  When I got home there were two baby birds in the nest. GRRRR!

I killed the babies, and tossed them out in the yard as a warning to the adult birds.
As I stood on the porch watching the pissed off birds squawk over the corpses, they would fly at me over and over, as if they were going to attack. LOL

The next day they were gone though, and no more nesting attempts either, so I guess they finally got the message.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Ray Davis

There's some pretty tough people in this world and if I ever thought I was one I guess in my old age I can admit to myself that maybe I'm not so tough .

Out here in rural east TX we deal with mice often and we keep glue traps around the buildings etc .  You can catch a lot of different critters in those traps

occasionally a snake , mice and bugs .  Don't get me wrong I have no use for mice , they are a real nuisance and since they are usually dead I would just toss

the critters trap and all into my brush fire .  Well one time the mouse I thought was dead wasn't and when he hit the fire of all the squealing in pain .

That did something to me , I had compassion for that mouse I didn't know I could have .  I still don't like mice but I have no desire to torture them , they just want to live like everything else .

So , now I take the glue traps , turn them upside down and run over them with my golf cart .  That squashes the little bastxxxs before they go in the fire .        Is that humane or what   ?? ---- I feel better about it  .

4 hours ago, Ray Davis said:

There's some pretty tough people in this world and if I ever thought I was one I guess in my old age I can admit to myself that maybe I'm not so tough .

Out here in rural east TX we deal with mice often and we keep glue traps around the buildings etc .  You can catch a lot of different critters in those traps

occasionally a snake , mice and bugs .  Don't get me wrong I have no use for mice , they are a real nuisance and since they are usually dead I would just toss

the critters trap and all into my brush fire .  Well one time the mouse I thought was dead wasn't and when he hit the fire of all the squealing in pain .

That did something to me , I had compassion for that mouse I didn't know I could have .  I still don't like mice but I have no desire to torture them , they just want to live like everything else .

So , now I take the glue traps , turn them upside down and run over them with my golf cart .  That squashes the little bastxxxs before they go in the fire .        Is that humane or what   ?? ---- I feel better about it  .

You're a good and kind man, Ray. 🤣

20 hours ago, Ray Davis said:

Thanks Ray,  You gave me my first laugh of the day.  I will have the picture of that fat tire rolling for the rest of today at least.  We have been away from our MH for a couple of weeks now and will go back with a  critical eye tomorrow looking for our little East Texas critters.