Getting soft in old age

So, I found a cute little baby mouse in one of my non lethal traps.  I took it outside as we were leaving and set her free.  Am I to soft or have others done this. It was so cute looking up at me with those eyes saying thank you and ran away.  Just some humor for an otherwise dull morning.  Stay safe all. 

Edited by Joelsheriff
  • Thanks 1

Believe me! You are not the only one.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Joelsheriff said:

So, I found a cute little baby mouse in one of my non lethal traps.  I took it outside as we were leaving and set her free.  Am I to soft or have others done this. It was so cute looking up at me with those eyes saying thank you and ran away.  Just some humor for an otherwise dull morning.  Stay safe all. 

I would have given it a nice meal then let it go.

Edited by saflyer

I kill all the nuisance critters I can, though I leave the ones that are beneficial to humans alone.

As we are the top predator on this earth, I consider the good of humanity above all else.

This summer I had set a trap to catch and kill groundhogs.  One day I found a possum in the trap.  He'd been sitting in the hot sun for a while, so when I turned him loose he seemed a bit weak and didn't run off.  I set a bowl of water down in front of him. He promptly drank about half of it, looked up at me as if to say "thanks", and wandered off. LOL

I believe as we get old we understand the struggles of living a long healthy life. This probably is why we now have an appreciation for all living creatures.

I was an avid hunter and spent every spare hour I had in the field. I can remember days I would take my hunting dog and gear to work with me so I could head straight to the field after I left work. Since I have gotten older I no longer hunt and leave my passion for firearms to the gun range. I give a pass to all living creatures these days except poisonous snakes and rats. One only has to be bitten by a poisonous snake once like I have and go through hell afterwards to have an appreciation of snuffing their life out. We have resident black snakes that I love having around but the poisonous ones get dispatched. The same holds true for rats. Had them chew up the wiring on my tractor and that pretty much ended my giving a pass to them.

I find it interesting to see how our mind set changes as we age. We suddenly reach a point in our older life where we see things we never did before and have an appreciation for many things we never did as young adults. And this I might add is a good thing. On a decent into Tampa airport yesterday evening I marveled at the cloud formations. When I was 21 I could have cared less. As we age we all of sudden see all these little things and think...... Wow..... How cool is that. 🙂

• Thanks 1