2005 Exec won't go into TRAVEL mode

I went out to hitch up the towed to get ready to depart tomorrow for Arizona and my coach won't go into TRAVEL mode.  I have the HWH Leveling System, but rarely use it to level - I use my hydraulic jacks instead.  Yesterday, I fired up the engine and brought up the suspension and achieved TRAVEL mode so I could run the slides out to finish loading.  Brought the slides back in and then leveled.  My parking space at home is not perfectly level, plus I like dropping it as low as possible so I don't have a huge step up to the first step.  This morning I went to move it to hook up the towed, and I believe the suspension aired up and should have been in TRAVEL mode, but I never got the Green Travel light. 

Anyone know the inputs to the systems that must be satisfied for the  system to go into TRAVEL mode?  I have air pressure, tried with and without the parking brake (but yesterday it worked with parking brake on).  Anything else I can check to see if there is a reason it's not going into Travel mode, besides the "brain" malfunctioning?  What are the implications of driving when the TRAVEL light is not lit, but the suspension has air (I can tell it aired up from the "dump" position).

Thanks,  

-Rick N.

2005 Exec, DD Series 60

2014 JGC Diesel

24 minutes ago, John Haggard said:

Check all the fuses in the HWH brain, controller. 

There is a travel mode fuse..

And

You cant use the HWH system as you travel down the road.

I'm not sure what you mean by "use". Obviously I'll no be trying to level the coach going down the road.  Do you mean the system will not function if the travel mode light is not lit?  I must admit I don't knots a lot about Travel mode.  My previous 97 Dynasty has air suspension, but no "Travel Mode" but no air leveling either.  Since the suspension seems to air up, what else happens in Travel Mode?  I though it simply took it out of leveling mode. 

One condition that will prevent you fromgetting the green light and the coach will not go into Travel Mode using the HWH Pad if any one of your leveling jacks has not completely retracted.

Have you tried to do a reset of the HWH system. In the front run bay under the drivers side window in the upper right corner of the bay is a red light and reset button for the HWH. Push it to reset the HWH system. It will go into travel mode with or without the parking brake engaged.

The coach will automatically default to travel mode when you release the park brake and put the coach in gear if the HWH has failed. On some 05 Execs the slides have to be all the way retracted before it will go into travel mode. I do not believe your coach is equipped with this feature.

Try using the Air auto leveling to level the coach and then select travel mode and see if it will go into travel mode then. if not I would take a close look at your hydraulic jack make sure they have retracted all the way up.

Look in you wireng diagram/schematic manual and check for any blown fuses. In the FRB there is a 20amp fuse on Circuit Brd 12 marked AIR LVL and on Board 6 is another 15amp fuse marked AIR LVL.

There should also be Trouble Shooting suggestions in your Owner/Operators Manual or you can try calling HWH Tech support and see if you can get any help from them.

I have exact same model and recall a couple of times in the past the green light didn’t come on when I hit the travel button but when I put it in gear it came on. It hasn’t done it lately so I haven’t looked into it any further. 

I had the problem with my 03 Dynasty.  In my case the HWH board was fried, a dead short somewhere IIRC.  The 03 has a different HWH system than 05's so this may be different.

Anyway, I took the HWH brain box out, sent to HWH for repair and was able to jumper the IGN on to the travel mode signal.  I recall wiring up a relay to supply 12v to whatever wire tells the HWH 6packs to go into travel mode.  Memory is foggy on this.   Don't remember the exact detail.   Hotrod was parked next door and he walked me through what to do.  Hopefully he will weigh in here.

I have seen mine drop out of travel mode after a few minutes. I tracked it down to the low pressure switches in one of the 6 packs. On mine it was the drive axle.

you can bypass this by unplugging the failed low pressure switches at the six pack.

Paul

Contact Paul at AZPETE on the Irv2 forum. He works for HWH and can answer your questions. His email is pfmaddox@att.net and his phone number is 602-549-3638. He is a Commercial Member of that forum and has posted that his phone is always on, and if not answered, leave a message.

He has helped others on that forum and I am sure he can help you.

Guest Ray Davis
19 hours ago, David Pratt said:

and then select travel mode

17 hours ago, cwmonaco said:

when I hit the travel button

Does this mean that some coaches have a travel button?   I'm pretty sure mine does not have such a button, mine just goes into travel mode when I am ready to go

Rick,

To answer your ultimate question, you can certainly drive with your current situation. I had the same for several years before I ended up taking it to HWH in Iowa for repairs. I would use the air leveling system to raise it all the way up, then feel it drop back to something akin to “Travel” mode once in gear. As mentioned above, it’s likely one of the pressure switches that’s failed and not signaling the control board. Or it could be the control module itself. HWH replaced one pressure switch on mine, but I also had them “rehab” the whole control box while I was there.

Safe travels...

Hi all - I went out this morning, started there engine thill air up and pulled I'll the jacks.  After final loading I checked, and the Travel light was on.  So I left to try and best the storm.  After checking occasionally and seeing the Travel light was on, after about 4 hood I noticed it was off.  Later it was back on.  And the remaining 3 hours it was off and on.  I noticed nothing that would cause it, nor did I noticed any difference in the ride.  It 15⁰F now & snowing.  I hope thill be in Pkoenix tomorrow & well look more into these problem.  I reminds me on a simple loose connection,  but I'm not sure where.  

Thank you to all who responded, and I'll post an update on a couple days.

-Rick N.