Regular tv reception

Go to solution Solved by jfasano88,

Likely one or more of your lights ballast is bad and causing interference. In my working days as a support for cell service providers I have seen more than one gas station lights totally killing cellphone towers reception at a great distance. These things can and go bad. Convert to LED if you can.

Yep! Bad Ballast. Time to upgrade. I tried several types of LEDs and found the ones linked below to be the easiest and most effective in replacing the fluorescent bulbs. Simply remove the cover, then the middle metal plate. Remove all the wiring leaving only the positive and negative in the ceiling. Once the fixture is gutted simply stick two or three, (they are really bright) of the strips in and wire them up. Reinstall the fixture. I'd tape up two temporarily and check the brightness. If you want more use three. I use two in the hall and three in the bath where more light is desired....best of luck....Dennis

LED replacement lights.

I agree with Ivan. I had one ballast in my over the sink kitchen light that would interfere with both my tank level indicators and the display board for my Intellitec EMS in the bedroom. I changed out the ballast and it solved the problem.

If you can track down which one(s) of your ceiling lights that is causing the problem just replace that specific one(s).

You might as well switch to LED...but note that some LEDs cause RF (radio frequency) interference as well.  So best to buy one, plug in and test, then mount and order rest to match.  Test with fixture closest to the antenna.

Edited by DavidL

I replaced all my fluorescent lights with LED.  I bought a couple 15 ft rolls with connectors.  I also wanted some flexibility so I added a second switch on each light.  I pulled the light out, stripped it of all the electrics and cleaned it good.  Put in 3 strips of LED lights wiring the outer two to the original strip and the middle to the new switch.  Once I confirmed the final results I would remove 3 at a time and rehab them.  When I was done I could have 1, 2, 3, or no LED strips providing light meaning I had lots of flexibility.  Total cost to do all the fluorescent lights was less then $100. 

LED light conversion with extra switch.jpg

Edited by jacwjames
  • Like 1

• Solution

This is John f again. I have a dumb question?  Maybe two. 
how do you cut them and how do you mount them. My ballast are tucked behind the lights. Do I need to remove them or can I splice into the wire that feed the lights. Is there a video on how to change to led. 

I bought the ribbon LED lights with the adhesive tape on the back.  I removed the entire light, completely gutted it of all the electronic.  I then thoroughly washed the metal housing and then used acetone to clean the surface good where the lights would be attached. 

The lights can be cut at regular intervals, there is marking on the ribbon where to cut.  I then bought some connectors that simply snapped across one end of the light making sure the positive and negative were correctly oriented.  From there I simply wired the ends through the switches connecting the power supply to all the switches. 

This is similar to what I bought

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16FT-5M-Bright-Cool-White-5M-300Leds-Flexible-SMD-5050-Led-Strip-Light-Lamp-12V/123772196047?epid=14004348850&hash=item1cd165d4cf:g:0PcAAOSwgkZc35vn

Here are the ends

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10X-LED-STRIP-LIGHT-CONNECTOR-SMD-5050-5630-SINGLE-2-WIRE-10MM-PCB-BOARD-ADAPTER/293956058993?hash=item4471257f71:g:1nYAAOSwKtFgAQQP

I bought a simple round on/off switch to add the light but this isn't necessary unless you wants some control how much light you get from each light fixture. 

John,

It's a pretty simple process. I've attached some pictures to help you. I don't have a video, but the pictures are numbered 1-6. Hope this helps. If you have more questions don't be afraid to ask. That's how we learn....Dennis

Pictures: 1 Light fixture with cover removed. 2. Fixture with bulbs removed. The center rail is removed by squeezing it in the middle and pulling down. 3. Cover, bulbs and center rail 4. Fixture with cover, bulbs and center rail removed. 5. Wiring exposed. Blue circle shows black and white, (power and ground) Red circle shows screws to remove to take down the fixture. 6. Fixture with new LEDs installed.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.jpg

6.JPG

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/26/2021 at 6:58 PM, Dennis H said:

John,

It's a pretty simple process. I've attached some pictures to help you. I don't have a video, but the pictures are numbered 1-6. Hope this helps. If you have more questions don't be afraid to ask. That's how we learn....Dennis

Pictures: 1 Light fixture with cover removed. 2. Fixture with bulbs removed. The center rail is removed by squeezing it in the middle and pulling down. 3. Cover, bulbs and center rail 4. Fixture with cover, bulbs and center rail removed. 5. Wiring exposed. Blue circle shows black and white, (power and ground) Red circle shows screws to remove to take down the fixture. 6. Fixture with new LEDs installed.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.jpg

6.JPG

Thanks Dennis. That’s exactly what I plan to do with my five fluorescent lights. I had an issue with the Intellitec and called M&M. He told me to get rid of the fluorescent lights as they can interfere with the Intellitec system.