Coax cables

Guest Ray Davis

It's been a long time since I delved into those coaxes but I think on mine one goes up front and the other goes to the wet bay for a park cable hook up.

I don't remember ever using the cable though..    Lowes sells a little tone generator & detector for finding wires that will help you trace & find wires.

It's sort of a Fox & Hound device but only $38.

http://mobileimages.lowes.com/product/converted/032886/032886935398_07794817.jpg?size=pdhi  

Huh, my picture didn't show up.

Edited by Ray Davis

I've found the park hookup outside has a splitter in it to run to front and rear TVs. That splitter needs to be removed if you're going to use a satellite dish. I have three extra cables in the front box that have never been used. These coaches used to use those big boxes with the push buttons. The new TVs don't need all that junk. Remember the OLD sat dishes needed TWO leads, now they only require ONE......Dennis

Edited by Dennis H

Hey guys this might be off topic, but I’m wondering if anyone has addressed this. We installed a new smart TV to replace the old power hog and ridiculously hot running OEM Sharp TV. The original speaker cables (see pic) have no ports in the new TV. Has anyone found a way to connect these cables to a smart TV, so that the surround sound speakers in the ceiling will operate?  

7BD97711-CA54-4EE5-85B7-DC2E74C4C6E5.jpeg

7 hours ago, Jonbrooks said:

Dennis do you mean updating to smart Tv's and just be done with it?

Jon, below is a link to how I upgraded my television to the Smart TV. Pretty simple and with your skills should be a snap. I used the smart TV and a sound bar, doing away with all the junk and weight that Monaco had installed. Much easier, much lighter and much better equipment. Probably a more detailed write up on my Blog, link below......Dennis

Upgraded the TV

@Pduggs Originally I had that huge silver box which connected the surround system to my TV. When I upgraded I used an above average Visio sound bar which mounted next to the new 40" TV. Only took some minor woodworking. The sound from the bar is as good, if not better than the surround system. I still have the surround system which I have hooked up to my DVD player. That was a PITA. I believe there is a box available that will allow you to plug your cables into and then run a HDMI cord to your TV. I'll have to research it later and if I find it, I'll post the link. I've got an appointment this morning so I'll try to get to it tonight.....Dennis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I  got one of these.  https://www.amazon.com/Converter-Adapter-Composite-Supports-Chromecast/dp/B07BBSQ83R

I plugged the red and white into the Bose surround and the yellow video into my switcher box.  I plug an apple TV into the HDMI and that is what I do the streaming from.  I have tried and tried to get the Bose to work with the tv using Optical sound cables and plugging in the mini jack on the tv to the Bose.  Nothing worked well for me other than this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

George,

What I understand is he has a new smart TV with sound out and wants to connect to an old sound system with audio in via the RCA jacks.  On mine the sound comes out as either an HDMI or optical output.  On my home Samsung TV I have the sound bar connected via HDMI with ARC to control the Samsung bar.  Thus the device goes from HDMI in to audio out plus the video, which he doesn't need to use.  

Now if the video feed is from the home theater system to the TV than he needs what you suggest.  The photo shows some component cables that fed the old TV but they won't be used for the new TV as it probably only has HDMI or ANT in for the video.

I installed a new TV and audio system plus a DVD player in my unit.  So my Samsung has 2 HDMI inputs plus the ANT input. One HDMI comes from the satellite box for Direct TV and one for the DVD player.  The ANT is connected to the OTA antenna.  The bedroom TV gets it feed via SWM over the coax.  The sound from the TV comes out as optical which is the input to the sound system.  I control everything with a Logitech programable remote.  That is, the satellite box remains on and the TV, Sound, DVD and Direct TV are turned on from the remote as needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1