Upgrading the leveling system

Nevada Rob

We just purchased a 2008 Monaco Dynasty with the Valid Power Gear air leveling system. Has anyone with the air leveling system added the hydraulic leveling system that was optional in the coach? If that is possible where or who can do the work? Thank you in advance for any and input.

I haven't heard of anyone adding jacks but I believe HWH supplied the jacks.  That's where I would go to get them added, Moscow, Iowa.

Originally when I acquired my coach I missed having jacks but came to the realization the air levelling works very well.

Sorry for the confusion. I have HWH air leveling and hydraulic leveling jacks. It’s just me and my wife and we just don’t notice any difference between air leveling and  the hydraulic jacks. Plus the jacks take quite a bit longer to raise then the air leveling system. 

I don

4 hours ago, Hypoxia said:

I haven't heard of anyone adding jacks but I believe HWH supplied the jacks.  That's where I would go to get them added, Moscow, Iowa.

Originally when I acquired my coach I missed having jacks but came to the realization the air levelling works very well.

I like the air leveling but I am not a fan of the compressor coming on a few times at night. I have been chasing air leaks but I think I would have a better chance at finding Waldo.

1 hour ago, KevinH said:

Sorry for the confusion. I have HWH air leveling and hydraulic leveling jacks. It’s just me and my wife and we just don’t notice any difference between air leveling and  the hydraulic jacks. Plus the jacks take quite a bit longer to raise then the air leveling system. 

We camp in the boondocks 95% of the time. With our previous coaches we have used the hydraulic jack to help get us out of soft dirt by lifting the coach and putting rocks or boards under the rear wheels. Although this Dynasty is bigger and heavier than the previous motorhomes. I am not to sure just yet how far out into the weeds I will be will to take this machine.

I called HWH many years ago asking about the cost of adding 4 hydraulic jacks to my HWH Air Leveling System as it was an option to have both but the original owner chose not to include that option.

They quoted me a price of $8000. I wasn't THAT thrilled about having jacks and air leveling.

The only reason I wanted the jacks was to stabilize the coach during heavy winds as the coach does rock quite a bit when it is windy out while sitting on the air bags. This was when we were spending a lot of time out west where they have the Santa Ana Winds. Now that we are mostly on the East Coast haven't had the need.

We have both air leveling and jacks on our coach.  I much prefer the air, easy, quick, and it rechecks level every so many hours, ours is set to 2 hours.  After many mods with the aux air compressor, changing to Viair and moving it inside a basement compartment you can still hear it but we don't mind nor does it disturb us.  If we sit for a long time, very rare for us, I might air level and then just touch down the jacks.  The explanation I have always heard about 3 vs 4 jacks is 3 is less likely to twist the chassis, and it seems to make sense to me.  The jacks do come in handy sometimes and am very glad our coach happened to have both systems.

Having the extra tag axle tires on the ground makes a big difference in stability on air bags alone. I've tried mine with the tag lifted, and you can feel quite a bit more movement with someone walking around, or high wind gusts!

If you are stuck, it will take some serious blocking to keep the jack from just pushing into the ground. 
Although you should have nylon straps between the MH’s frame and the drive axle’s H frame, doubt a jack will have enough travel to lift the axle.