Looking for opinion on quoted cost to repair fiberglass crack

I unfortunately have a lot of paint work needed on my coach, on the front and rear caps I've got clear coat peeling but I have one really nasty crack on the curb side behind the bedroom window.  I'm the 3rd owner of this coach and of course it wasn't until a few years after I purchased it I found out it had been repainted in several areas and those are the ones where the paint is failing.  I've had 2 quotes done and I'm not sure if I can trust either shops quote not to mention I live in Canada so everything is stupid expensive in this country anyways.

One quote for fixing the crack was $5000 and the other was $5400.  They both are fairly close but the thing is, one is charging $13000 to refinish the front cap and the other is charging around $3000.  For all the paint work I need, one outfit quoted me $26,000 and the other $14,000.  At this point I'm not sure if either of these quotes are realistic and I'm hoping to get some opinions. 

I'll attach pictures of the major areas that need work to perhaps give these quotes some context.

Thanks

Mike B

01 Dynasty

IMG_0065.JPEG

IMG_0072.JPEG

IMG_0077.JPEG

Edited by obb_taurus

Bob,

I'm going on to my 12th year owning this coach and you are absolutely correct about sun damage cause our summers consist of more rain and cloud than sun.  If it were possible for rain to cause that damage, you would probably have a winner, but sun, no.  Possibly snow burn... LOL  Honestly, I think it was a splash and dash paint job, I never noticed it until later but the 3M mask was already gone when I got it and they didn't even do a very good job blending the paint.  As I mentioned, it was repainted in several places, I have my suspicions about what might have happened that it was repainted in areas not to mention the various other issues I've discovered over the years but since this was my first coach, I didn't see the tell tail signs that this may not have been the best coach to buy.

Mike B

Edited by obb_taurus

For the front maybe you could either bondo, or put some fiberglass over the cracks.  Then I have seen where bedliner was used to cover the front end.  

Just to let you know your not the only one with this problem.  My clear coat is flaking off. Decals will be coming off next year if no other major problems come up.  Will also be learning how to paint. I  will be researching other options including full body wrap. 

Sometimes I think its not worth it, just sell it and add 15 to 20g's and upgrade.  Then I look at newer coaches and find I've traded one problem for a different problem.  

If you find something in Mexico please pass the information along.  We did the dental trip & saved 8g's. In Algodones. Best dentist I've seen in a long time.  

When money is an issue you either give up or you get creative.  

Keep me in mind & please pass me any thing you learn.  

God bless. 

So happy to be over my need for speed, as well as 4-wheeling! Did the Big Bend Open Road Race in 2005 from Stockton to Sanderson, TX and return in a 1988 Mazda 323 GTX averaging 105 MPH.  After 20 years of 4-wheeling most everything in CO as well as Moab, we moved to NC and the only 4  wheel drive we have now is our 2003 Honda Element which made it over Medano Pass to the Great Sand Dunes CO. Wouldn't do that again.

There is a place in the Elkhart area that has been around for years. I believe it is called Mikes Paint. I have seen numerous paint jobs by him and they all came out awesome. He gives you a blank canvas and you can choose the design. The last I knew he charged $ 15,000 for a complete paint job from front to back on a 40 ft coach.

I have always judged paint job costs by what Mike charges. Prices for paint jobs are all over the map and I have seen some very good jobs and I have seen some bad ones. With all the coaches I see in our shop I get a first hand look at work performed by others, including paint and there are professional quality jobs and then there are some I would have asked for my money back. Some have been really bad.

• Like 1

Let me know what you think Paul. I have never heard one bad word about Mikes work. Every paint job I have seen came out great. I am sure he allows you to revamp the paint scheme to whatever you want, including all the colors and swirl schemes. I had a customer go in there and come out with a total different coach. The transformation was amazing.

Report back here and let us all know your thoughts. See you in Florida sometime Mate.

• Thanks 1