Coolant Filter WF2071 location on 2001 HR 8.3 L ISC

Looking for easy fixes for overheating.  My owners manual references Fleetguard WF 2071 coolant filter for our 2001 HR. I found a youtube video that showed it adjacent to the secondary fuel filter.  I can't find it anywhere, but did find a hole in the muffler while looking for the filter! Will it ever end?

Can anyone help me?

Mine is on the left .. driver side midway up the motor and midway forward on it. Super ex to change. Driving all that coolant...lol check your air dryer filter. My 2000 signature imploded all the white residue and now I'm changing air dryer filter governor and somehow my unloader valve is failing in the compressor. 

Edited by Romeo84

When I changed my coolant filter on my 2003 HR Cummins 8.3 that filter was just next to the (Big) oil filter. about the size of a "normal" car oil filter.  There is a valve right above it on the housing it screws to that will shut the water off so you do not loose much, and you could fill the new filter before install with coolant.

Mine was so old, on there so long it took a very good filter wrench and a long >24" breaker bar.... so be prepared!

Ken

Timaz996... did you miss what I said about the valve..... I learned about it on YouTube...!!! and it worked!

OBTW, I would love to get a little more power out of my 8.3... looks like you have done some things.... what's possible to get more than the advertised 330hp?

Ken

I must Have missed it.

Banks no longer makes the turbo kit for the 8.3 Cummins. If you enlarge your exhaust to 5" diameter and change to a straight through muffler it will help mileage and maybe a little power. My big power comes from 30-35 psi boost depending on temp.  

38 minutes ago, Cubflyer said:

OBTW, I would love to get a little more power out of my 8.3... looks like you have done some things.... what's possible to get more than the advertised 330hp?

Ken

Would 431 hp be enough?

https://official.bankspower.com/magazine/powerpack/

Now for the rub . . . "designed to work with 1998 to 2000 coaches built on the Roadmaster and Spartan chassis" . . . except they tested it on a 2001 Windsor

And "only" $2,995.  Let me know how it works out 😉

- bob

edit - Didn't see Timaz comment . . . and the part where it was in April 2003 Motohome magazine.  I guess they printed them back then.

Edited by cbr046

I have a 2001 Dynasty Regent with the ISC 350 and the coolant filter is located on the drivers side of the engine as Cubflyer stated,  I would recommend using the shutoff valve to minimize coolant spillage. I also used the WF 2071 filter.  Good Luck!

Not sure what engine you have in your 2001 HR but if it is the ISC-350 like others have said it is located drivers side of the engine just to the rear of the oil filter and can only be seen from above or below. The hosing is equipped with a shut-off valve to stop the coolant from leaking when changing the filter.

However, a word of caution, I had two different Speedco locations destroy my shut-off valve by attempting to turn it off by the end easily accessible which is opposite from the oil filter. After having to replace it twice at a Cummins facility (~$350 each time) the Cummins service tech strongly suggested to use the opposite end directly next to the oil filter to shut off the coolant filter housing. However the oil filter has to be removed FIRST. Ever since instructing ALL of the service techs doing PM service on the engine about that specific procedure I have never had a problem with a broken valve again.

Thank everyone for their help and warnings.  

Since I can't get it serviced for another month, and the Fleetguard Dipsticks indicate I am protected to -60F, I plan on draining about 5 gallons from the system and diluting the remaining coolant with distilled water, as well as changing the filter which was last done 2 1/2 years ago.  I think I have an excessive concentration of coolant.

Does anyone know of any potential problems doing this?

Just found a local diesel mechanic who will look at this next week.  Incidentally while looking around under the engine area today, I noticed a large hole in the muffler which I hadn't seen before.  The hole is on the medial side of the muffler which means I have been blowing some exhaust directly toward the bottom of the fan which of course would then be blown through the radiator.  This may not be my only problem, but common sense tells me this is certainly contributory.

Roy

1 hour ago, millionroy said:

Just found a local diesel mechanic who will look at this next week.  Incidentally while looking around under the engine area today, I noticed a large hole in the muffler which I hadn't seen before.  The hole is on the medial side of the muffler which means I have been blowing some exhaust directly toward the bottom of the fan which of course would then be blown through the radiator.  This may not be my only problem, but common sense tells me this is certainly contributory.

Roy

Maybe worth looking at for all of us, just to be sure we have sealed exhaust systems.  Thanks, Roy

- bob