Tow Shield

Looking for recommendations for a tow shield. New vehicle base plate is a quick connect while old one was not. All Roadmaster components old tow bar and connects had the cross bar and I used the Guardian that mounted to it. Looking at either the Roadmaster 4750 Tow Defender or the Protect a Tow MH9854. If anyone is using either of these I would appreciate your feedback. Thanks all, Mike

We use a custom home made version, they both seem similar but their standard versions would not fit our setup, at least at that time. No chips from the motorhome but it does not protect from ongoing traffic debree. Some windshield sand blasting from the roads we take, assuming from opposite traffic but nothing at the front mask. Not too bad and at least 30k miles later, still good. The middle rod just adds unnecessary work IMO.

20210606_132153.jpg

• Thanks 1

I wouldn’t recommend the Demco Sentry. It’s not that hard to install but there’s no place to store it when you’re not using it. It came with a bag. But it’s very difficult to get it in the bag when  not using it. 

4287697C-E990-4D2D-A01D-E7797AF5A049.jpeg

I use a Protect a Tow which was given to me, Ivan's setup is as good or better.   After a few thousand miles I still think it is worth having.  I never remove it except at the stick house.  I just fold it over on top of the tow bar when parked.

Another vote for the Protect-a-Tow here.  I've been using one for years because it's easy and quick to put it on and take it off.  It stores in a bag about 6 inches in diameter and 30 inches long.  I'm on my second one because I've got a tail dragger that worn holes in the first one which I put under the towbar.  I put the new one over the top of the towbar to prevent ruining the new one.  It protects just as well either over or under but there's more chance of dragging a hole in it when it's under the towbar.

https://protectatow.tripod.com/

Another vote for the Tow Defender, but I modified ours to go underneath the tow bar similar to Ivan's picture above.  I do use the middle bar, however.  I found that above the tow bar, it left about 1/2 of the front nose exposed to road debris.   We sometimes tow a 13 Challenger R/T and I wanted as much protection as possible for the front of it. Happy Trails Bert

Been using Protect A Tow over 15 years.  It make a big difference in toad damage and is easy to handle, since it’s light weight.  We simply fold it up and leave on the back of our coach while parked.

WARNING- they are not suitable for rear pointing exhausts, since the heat can melt the material.  Only exhausts that point to the side work long term.

On 6/29/2021 at 1:54 PM, Ivan K said:

We use a custom home made version, they both seem similar but their standard versions would not fit our setup, at least at that time. No chips from the motorhome but it does not protect from ongoing traffic debree. Some windshield sand blasting from the roads we take, assuming from opposite traffic but nothing at the front mask. Not too bad and at least 30k miles later, still good. The middle rod just adds unnecessary work IMO.

20210606_132153.jpg

Is that an H3? Are you using the D-Ring mounts for the tow bar Hook up? 

43 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

Yeah, the D rings have been replaced with that kit, using the same holes so it is clean looking.

Blue ox kit? We are adding a front bumper with the set up for the rings and looking mounting same 

6 minutes ago, JDCrow said:

Blue ox kit? We are adding a front bumper with the set up for the rings and looking mounting same 

It's been years but pretty sure it was blue ox kit. Some hardware and big bolts and then drilling in the frame horns was required. Works great and I carry pins and bungees for pulling me out in place of the old rings.