Taking a long trip, what parts to bring along

Schedule 80 pipe. A little heavier than common schedule 40 pipe. My blocks are 11 inches long. They do the job. Where did I get 30K rear axle? My coach is 47,600 gross. Minus 14,600 gross front axle equals 33,000. Minus 3000 for rear axle and H frame equals 30,000. Tag axle does not help with no air in system. Some coaches are well over 50,000 gross. A lot of weight for a little stack of 2x4s or any other kind of wood. I am sure that some 2" square tubing 1/4 wall would work just as well.

47 minutes ago, Hockeydiesel said:

Schedule 80 pipe. A little heavier than common schedule 40 pipe. My blocks are 11 inches long. They do the job. Where did I get 30K rear axle? My coach is 47,600 gross. Minus 14,600 gross front axle equals 33,000. Minus 3000 for rear axle and H frame equals 30,000. Tag axle does not help with no air in system. Some coaches are well over 50,000 gross. A lot of weight for a little stack of 2x4s or any other kind of wood. I am sure that some 2" square tubing 1/4 wall would work just as well.

Your rear axle is rated for 23000 max, doesn’t carry anywhere near 30000 lbs, if you have weighed your axle and you are in fact at between 30000 and 33000lbs as you claim you are dangerously over weight on your rear axle, the only tire capable of that weight are 315’s at max pressure which is over max rated inflation for rims. I expect you are mistaken and are much closer to the 23000 or less on drive axles and I can assure you from experience that 4 x 4 and 2 x 4s are adequate for blocking the coach up for air bag replacement, I’ve done it my self numerous times with 0 issues 

My 2002 Windsor has two axles, the front is rated for 13,000 lbs and the rear is rated for 23,000 lbs which equals 36,000 lbs as stated in the brochure.

Any three axle coach will be a lot heavier than my Windsor and that's why they have added the TAG axle to carry that extra weight on the rear plus it gives the coach better stability. If you are traveling without the tag axle engaged you are risking a rear drive axle failure. That tag axle can carry an additional 10K-20K lbs.

https://itstillruns.com/advantage-tag-axle-motor-home-8583486.html

The tag axles are designed to be raised only when needed for short-time close maneuvers.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

My 2002 Windsor has two axles, the front is rated for 13,000 lbs and the rear is rated for 23,000 lbs which equals 36,000 lbs as stated in the brochure.

Any three axle coach will be a lot heavier than my Windsor and that's why they have added the TAG axle to carry that extra weight on the rear plus it gives the coach better stability. If you are traveling without the tag axle engaged you are risking a rear drive axle failure. That tag axle can carry an additional 10K-20K lbs.

https://itstillruns.com/advantage-tag-axle-motor-home-8583486.html

The tag axles are designed to be raised only when needed for short-time close maneuvers.

I leave my tag activated and it raises on slow speed corners in parks, cities and 7’mjparking lots, otherwise it is down carrying its share of weight, most rear axles are either 20 k or 23 k, my gross combined weight is 56000

Edited by moxy1962

2 hours ago, moxy1962 said:

I leave my tag activated and it raises on slow speed corners in parks, cities and 7’mjparking lots, otherwise it is down carrying its share of weight, most rear axles are either 20 k or 23 k, my gross combined weight is 56000

I hate wading into weights. I believe Combined weight is in reference to weight of coach and whatever is being towed?

I can say on any tandem axle vehicle, the most Oregon would allow (trucking) is 34,000 lbs. Yes a single axle can haul 20+k, adding the tag will only net so much. It seems strange and logic in Oregon is never logical. Arizona I believe allows you to put whatever weight the axle will carry on it. So you will see 80k dump trucks that have 7/8 axles under them and a rear booster. 

I believe other states carry the same tables. But we don’t cross scales like Class 8 trucks do. 

And again, 2” schedule 80 under the frame will hold up a coach to change a Bag? l know what Schedule 80 is, I was in excavation/construction for 20 years and still play with it on the side. I just have a hard time trusting plastic I guess. 

just info, not stirring pot.

2AE0EA71-C7E3-4C84-A457-081BC004FA47.jpeg.68ef04d999b6ae8d0b884a98cb895cee.jpeg

I'm certain the pipe being discussed is sch 80 steel. If I were to be replacing or working on my tag air bags, the weight on drive axle would be over 30k lbs stationary, divided between 4 support blocks. +/- depending on weight distribution. With a 56k lbs tag axle vehicle. Not so with 2 axles.

1 minute ago, Ivan K said:

I'm certain the pipe being discussed is sch 80 steel. If I were to be replacing or working on my tag air bags, the weight on drive axle would be over 30k lbs stationary, divided between 4 support blocks. +/- depending on weight distribution. With a 56k lbs tag axle vehicle. Not so with 2

My coach which is about as heavy as they get is 33000 no cargo, just coach, full Fuel, oil and coolant, that leaves 10000lbs for tongue weight of Trailer if towing, people and cargo, my coach is full of tools, TVs x 3, fridge downstairs, full spare and Rim, no where near capacity, with tag down rear axle is less than 20000 which is supported by 4 bags, tag axle has two Additional bags, so I’m blocking much less than 5000 per corner and 2 x 4s stacked between running gear carriage and coach frame rails is no issue, have replaced several bags using this Method 

GCVW of 53000 includes a 10000lb trailer 

image.thumb.jpeg.26783730be627c49198d91d74412239e.jpeg

55 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

We all have our ways of doing things. Weight of the toad has no play in this equation and 10K tongue weight is unrealistic with our coach. None of this tag talk applies to the original post anyway.

The tongue weight of any towed trailer is part of the GVW was my point, mine happens to be over 1000bs,  the the 53000lb GCVW includes the weight of the towed vehicle or trailer, the poster who was discussing his coaches weight assumed by the look of it that the 50000lb plus GCVW was the weight of the coach, which would be incorrect and would also skew his math, the 50000lb GCVW includes the weight of the trailer or towed vehicle.

As far as having any relevance to the original post, the original poster was asking for advise about what to take with him on his travels, a worth while question and the OP may take the answers as gospel, including comments about what his coach may or may not weigh, sometime the wrong information is as damaging as no information. 

In the end making sure the OP gets accurate information, I'm sure he will draw his own conclusions once he has all the accurate information.

Edited by moxy1962
spelling

7 hours ago, moxy1962 said:

Which model do you own?

Didn't know any of the Roadmaster chassis had a tag axle 'auto' mode.

4 hours ago, Ivan K said:

I'm certain the pipe being discussed is sch 80 steel. If I were to be replacing or working on my tag air bags, the weight on drive axle would be over 30k lbs stationary, divided between 4 support blocks. +/- depending on weight distribution. With a 56k lbs tag axle vehicle. Not so with 2 axles.

Ok steel makes sense. I did not know that there is a schedule for steel. Just always assumed OD/ID and thickness, but I’m no fab guy or welder. I am familiar with schedule 80 pipe. Installed it all the way up a butte for the state parks dept many years ago. Pipe held pressure, couplers did not LOL 

Edited by JDCrow
Spelling

11 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

Which model do you own?

Didn't know any of the Roadmaster chassis had a tag axle 'auto' mode.

02 dynasty chancellor, tag will not stay up above certain speed and will lift below that speed when the tag switch is on 

Edited by moxy1962

On 7/7/2021 at 5:06 PM, moxy1962 said:

I paid just over 600 Canadian for 2 

Bill, Air spring arrived today, Fort Gary industries, $ 218.00 plus tax,I believe there are branches in the GTA,they also do air spring change's on buses.

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

15 minutes ago, wayne.cerven@gmail.com said:

Bill, Air spring arrived today, Fort Gary industries, $ 218.00 plus tax,I believe there are branches in the GTA,they also do air spring change's on buses.

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

Good news, are you changing yourself? 

1 hour ago, wayne.cerven@gmail.com said:

No, just carrying it as a spare, some fittings, extra line and plugs. Something happens somewhere at least we have some parts.

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

An air line pinching tool is handy as well

One has to be a Philadelphia lawyer/Mathematician in order to calculate maximum gross weight. With a yearly permit some trucks weigh in at 129,000 lbs and more depending on the state. Oregon, being crazy, allows a natural gas powered truck a 2000 lb bonus. 

31 minutes ago, Gary Cole said:

One has to be a Philadelphia lawyer/Mathematician in order to calculate maximum gross weight. With a yearly permit some trucks weigh in at 129,000 lbs and more depending on the state. Oregon, being crazy, allows a natural gas powered truck a 2000 lb bonus. 

A 2,000 lb political feel good allowance 

On 7/15/2021 at 11:33 AM, Gary Cole said:

I always thought the manufacturer calculated the MacMillan gross vehicle weight.