Stands

Has anyone found a source for safety stands for motorhomes? I’d like something to put under the rails or jack stands to protect me when working under the coach in case of a sudden air bag rupture or leveler malfunction. Or is there a better option?

Ed

’05 HR Ambassador 

I got mine at Harbor Freight years ago.  They don't seem to have the heavy duty ones on their website now.

Lowes has 12 ton Jack Stands:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Torin-Torin-Big-Red-12-Ton-Capacity-Ratchet-Style-Heavy-Duty-Steel-Jack-Stands-1-Pair/1002625998

Two 12 ton Jack stands should support one end of the coach, which is the way I do it when changing oil or greasing the coach.

Dwight

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dwight Lindsey said:

I got mine at Harbor Freight years ago.  They don't seem to have the heavy duty ones on their website now.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Torin-Torin-Big-Red-12-Ton-Capacity-Ratchet-Style-Heavy-Duty-Steel-Jack-Stands-1-Pair/1002625998

Two 12 ton Jack stands should support one end of the coach, which is the way I do it when changing oil or greasing the coach.

Dwight

Thanks. Those may be just right.

The mobile oil change guy in Yuma had some Custom stands that were awesome. 2” steel square tube welded to large round bases. They worked great. Had had a couple of bases to switch to height he needed. I guess you could get 1 set since we had just one coach. I believe the steel tube was 1/4 inch 

I drive my 08 Dynasty up on 4 ea. 2x8"s stacked into a ramp. I have 4 ramps so when working on the rear area of the coach, all tires are supported. No possibility of any type of failure. I can drop all the air from the tanks and bags and still be able to get under the coach with no problem. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, saflyer said:

Thanks. Those may be just right.

Make sure that you don't buy a set that is too tall.  I purchased some 15 T ones and they are too tall,  They make some stubby ones that would better serve your needs.

Jim

This is what I  went with. They are heavy duty metal stands that were used on a loading dock. I got mine off of Craigslist. But they do sell them online. The new ones that can handle the weight are very expensive! Mine used were $700. But would have cost twice that amount new. Like some have said, you don't want them too tall. Mine are 8.5 inches tall and just fit under the motorhome.

You could also try stacking lumber to make a sturdy stand. There are instructional videos on how to do that on YouTube.

20210724_200833.jpg

As Dwight said, I got mine from Harbor Freight - 12 tons each and do the front and back one at a time.  I also built 2 ramps stacked in a ramp shape they are about 9 in high and 5 feet long. Easy to drive up on.  Cost about $60 in materials.

I

On 7/24/2021 at 8:46 PM, Dwight Lindsey said:

Dwight

Be aware that that rating is PER PAIR, so each stand is rated at 6 tons.
These are the same ones I got from Harbor Freight decades ago.
I store my coach on these to keep weight off the tires and airbags, and to be able to retract my jacks to protect the rams from corrosion and dirt.

There was a recall more recently on these, due to worn tooling at the Chinese manufacturer causing the ratchets to be defective, and the stands could drop unexpectedly.
You can lookup the recall info online.  Hopefully all the defective ones have been replaced by now.

I'm glad to see people being aware of the risk with air suspension coaches.  Be safe out there.😎🙏

• 1 month later...

I checked out 6 and 12 ton stands online. They extend to 24”. I think they should be placed under the raised rails either in front of the rear axle or behind the front wheels or both. Am I right? If so first that’s a real stretch subjecting me to being under the coach while I’m doing it, negating their safety benefit. Second, it looks like the raised rails sit more than 24” above the ground when the coach is at ride height so the jacks wouldn’t be much help. I haven’t actually measured it because of the above safety concern. Thoughts?

18 hours ago, saflyer said:

I checked out 6 and 12 ton stands online. They extend to 24”. I think they should be placed under the raised rails either in front of the rear axle or behind the front wheels or both. Am I right? If so first that’s a real stretch subjecting me to being under the coach while I’m doing it, negating their safety benefit. Second, it looks like the raised rails sit more than 24” above the ground when the coach is at ride height so the jacks wouldn’t be much help. I haven’t actually measured it because of the above safety concern. Thoughts?

Look for a sturdy vertical member running up to the main frame rail.  Usually the suspension pickup points will be on these, and they're low enough to put the stands underneath.

I place my both my front and rear stands behind the axles, to more evenly distribute the load front to rear.