Intersate 5 in CA, beware

Lost another hub cap.  The roads suck.  Beware, there is a stretch of hwy 5 around Buttonwillow in Ca where they are doing work.  The south bound lanes will switch and you go left on part of the old north bound lanes.  There is a sign that will say slow down, rough road.  Get in the left lane and stay there.  The right lane is unsafe at any speed.  The potholes are big enough to hold fish and boat in.  The worst of any road we have seen in North America.  We lost the hub cap before we got to that stretch of road.  I saw the other semi's move to the left lane ahead of me and I followed their lead and I did not have to suffer the damage that stretch of road could do to a motorhome.  Just a heads up.

Woody Miller

• Like 2

CA has let their roads deteriorate for so many years, then a tax proposition to fund highway improvements was passed. Once the tax was levied, the state shifts money previously allocated for roads to other uses. We are seeing some improvements but it will take years to get to where the roads should be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Both Oregon and Washington have a public agenda with the goal of forcing people into public transportation, riding  bicycles, and walking. Oregon recently spent $200,000,00 replacing a heavily used 4 lane bridge which crossed the Willamette with a bike-pedestrian only bridge which is little more than a postcard novelty. Now that previous traffic is funneled into an existing bottleneck which the state has no intention of ever replacing. All by design. 

Edited by Gary Cole
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, WCourand said:

Oh so true Oregon and Washington are racing to catch up with California stupidity.  They make have a ways to go to learn how to steal and mis appropriate funds for public improvements.  Very sad day when we are dealing with these types of problems.

One of the big problems is the never ending desire to build bicycle paths which are rarely used versus roads which are so badly needed. As Gary stated earlier the issue is the push to force us into using public transportation. Fuel taxes are continually going up in order to penalize those of us who don't want to "take the bus" to go camping!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, JetAburner said:

Our Caltrans dollars hard at work, NOT. Another horribly mismanaged state agency.

And yet the residents keep endorsing the people responsible for the mismanagement of state dollars. What does that tell you about the intelligence of those that keep doing the same thing getting the same results but expecting something different and better. ROTFLMFAO

• Like 2

Without getting all up in the reason for these failures, i hope everyone who decided this is what they wanted are getting everthing they ever desired😒 Now all i want is to be able to live out what i had dreamed about (retirement) all the while i was workin for a living.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

And yet the residents keep endorsing the people responsible for the mismanagement of state dollars. What does that tell you about the intelligence of those that keep doing the same thing getting the same results but expecting something different and better. ROTFLMFAO

Winston Churchill observed that the single best argument against democracy was a 5 minute conservation with a voter.

3 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

So true.  I've come to the conclusion that there's nothing LESS common than "common sense". SMDH

I frequently travel between my mountain home located east of the Sacramento/Stockton area and our coast place in Morro Bay.  The theoretically fastest route is to take I-5.  I avoid it like the plague due to inconsistent traffic flow, the large number of trucks and poor conditions (in some places).

My route of choice when having to head south is US 99.  Yes, it passes thru several Valley towns.  It has undergone a lot of improvements in recent years with many areas now featuring three lanes in each direction.  it's not perfect but it doesn't beat you to death either.