Old school maps and books

JDCrow

While I’m kinda tech savvy, I grew up without the internet and still get excited to read maps and books about traveling and such. Maybe it brings out the kid in me. Anyone else still using paper? 

DFBF0681-9B1C-44B9-920B-F2F03F743386.jpeg

Edited by JDCrow
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My wife does butttttt!!!! I like zooming in oa a destination.

7 hours ago, Gary M said:

My wife does butttttt!!!! I like zooming in oa a destination.

I still like the satellite zooming as well. I’m not good at tabs and files when searching for stuff I read. It’s easy to grab the maps or books to find info 

• Like 1

Yeah i get the whole map thing, for a couple reasons. On a map you can see the whole picture not just a line to follow, Maps let you determine your level of participation, going direct or wander a little. They let you see your trip in distance / area covered. Most of all they give me quiet time… 😳cause now the 28216C68-7FBA-466F-8949-4D22D4A49CCD.thumb.jpeg.659e45682658599f09a8f06d4991f4fd.jpegwife is too busy scrolling thru her Phone GPS trying to find which turn off “were looking for” 🙀😂

I have a door pocket full of maps for most of the Southeastern states.  Maybe a few Yankee states, too.  Every time I buy a new vehicle I transfer all those Welcome Center or AAA maps from the old vehicle to the new.  I know I haven't added any since 1998 and have maps that go all the way back to my grandfather's 69 Impala glovebox. 

My favorite is a regional map around the metro Atlanta area (I actually bought that one in early 1980's).  It goes wayyyy beyond metro and only shows roads that go somewhere omitting all those detailed subdivision streets.  If you wanted to go somewhere, this was the map. 

I haven't unfolded any of these maps since GPS in mid 2000's, but I'll transfer them to the next vehicle "just in case". 

- bob

• Haha 1

On 9/30/2021 at 9:52 PM, JDCrow said:

While I’m kinda tech savvy, I grew up without the internet and still get excited to read maps and books about traveling and such. Maybe it brings out the kid in my. Anyone else still using paper? 

DFBF0681-9B1C-44B9-920B-F2F03F743386.jpeg

Me too. I use Google and Waze, but I found them ineffective at times. I usually keep a hard copy. It has saved us a number of times. 

We have a Garmin 760LMT and are very happy with it. That being said, we did have a trip where it tried to put us on a road which was not fit for a motorhome. Thankfully a local came by. He said his truck wouldn't even fit on the road the GPS was sending us and gave us directions to get back to a major road. Yes, I did contact Garmin and notified them of the problem. Lessons learned!! Don't trust your GPS as your only source to get you there!! We use the GPS as a guide, then check the maps (old school) and follow the directions given on the campgrounds website.

58 minutes ago, veraken said:

We have a Garmin 760LMT and are very happy with it. That being said, we did have a trip where it tried to put us on a road which was not fit for a motorhome. Thankfully a local came by.  . . . .website.

Same here with Garmin RV GPS (750?).  It had me turning on a road and immediately I could see low hanging branches.  Nope.  Turned out to be dirt forest roads.  Local directed me to a paved road to reach my campground, same one I used 2 years ago. 

GPS kept directing me to turn on the next forest road, turn around and go back to the last forest road, anything BUT the road I wanted.  Turned out the paved road was only rated for 10 tons so, in a way, the GPS was doing it's job.  And it was the road rating.  No bridges!  About half way up the mountain there was a crew building a pipeline with lots of heavy trucks, dozers and the like.  Yeah, I'm sure they were under 10T! 😄 

The last trip the Garmin RV GPS tried to send me under a 11'1" RxR bridge . . . . and yes, the height limit was set in the GPS!  Connorsville IN. 

Still happy with the Garmin, but I compare it with Google Maps and look for the best overall route. 

- bob

I use google and other online maps but my favorite are the US atlas and individual state road and recreational state maps. I use different colored highlighters for different year travels. I will highlight the roads we traveled in yellow for 2019 for example and blue for 2020 etc.  I also make notes on the maps regarding roads I like and those I will never travel again. I find them fun to review where we have traveled and where we have not explored, They also help in planning. We like to try different routes to favorite destinations whenever we can.

• 5 months later...

I see this topic is pretty old, but I'm hoping to revive it with this question:

While I am a fan of Apple Maps and the like, my wife won't drive our motorhome, nor can she use a GPS or smart phone. So while I am driving I rely upon her for using a book like Next Exit to find a rest area or fuel stop. Next Exit is great, but are there any similar books which are not confined to Interstate highways only?

12 hours ago, Jim McGarvie said:

While I am a fan of Apple Maps and the like, my wife won't drive our motorhome, nor can she use a GPS or smart phone. So while I am driving I rely upon her for using a book like Next Exit to find a rest area or fuel stop. Next Exit is great, but are there any similar books which are not confined to Interstate highways only?

Can’t answer that but my so called co-pilot sits there with her IPad Pro with all the RV apps I installed and she ends up handing it to me as she can’t figure them out. But miss a QVC sale, oh no, catches them all.

Thought I’d give ya a laugh!!!

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Gary M said:

Can’t answer that but my so called co-pilot sits there with her IPad Pro with all the RV apps I installed and she ends up handing it to me as she can’t figure them out. But miss a QVC sale, oh no, catches them all.

This sounds so familiar!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gary M said:

😂

On 3/31/2022 at 8:22 PM, Jim McGarvie said:

Check out IEXIT in Apple App Store. I haven’t used it yet, just started messing with it. You can custom search for a variety of services based on your location 

9C73399E-25E3-4E1D-94F0-2B73F14C1A3E.png

8 hours ago, JDCrow said:

Check out IEXIT in Apple App Store. I haven’t used it yet, just started messing with it. You can custom search for a variety of services based on your location 

9C73399E-25E3-4E1D-94F0-2B73F14C1A3E.png

Thanks, JD, that looks like a nice app for preflight planning. But as I said, my wife doesn't drive and won't use a GPS or device, so she needs something on paper.

24 minutes ago, Jim McGarvie said:

Thanks, JD, that looks like a nice app for preflight planning. But as I said, my wife doesn't drive and won't use a GPS or device, so she needs something on paper.

Gotcha, I understand. 

We have had AAA RV for many years.  We get all the maps and books and use them often.  In our coach we have two GPS at our use. One is built in the dash and the other Magellan RV GPS is used to compare and check other on the go routes with.  We also have the Next Exit and use our cell phones for close in destinations and weather updates.  Some times it is the drive and not the destination that makes the vacation.  Stay safe, Stay well and Save travels

Dick and Sandy near Buffalo, NY

2015 HR Ambassador 38DB

2000 Ford Explorer Toad

CELL PHONE PICTURES APRIL5 2021 099.jpg