Jump to content

Looking for help! Again…


tact50

Recommended Posts


‘94 Monaco dynasty

We went to U-Haul and filled up with LP. We were at a 1/2 tank of LP and everything was working (generator/fridge/stove).  After getting our tank filled we realized that nothing LP related would work (generator/fridge/stove) as if nothing is getting gas. We have the valve set to open. We went back to U-Haul and the technician who filled up the LP said “I am no technician” and refereed us to AmeriGas( who doesn’t open until Monday).

Any ideas or suggestions?

Attached are two pictures. One of the LP tank and the other of our traveling companion, Elton. 

756A11E9-ABC8-40B5-B65A-8DE7BA608152.jpeg

911C3648-B324-4A17-AF6D-7CD4A7B34A11.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On our coach there is a electric switch in the bay that turns the gas valve on and off. It sometimes shuts off on its own. Appears you have a couple of wires coming off your valve. I would see where they lead you.

Edited by ncsteve
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ncsteve said:

On our coach there is a electric switch in the bay that turns the gas valve on and off. It sometimes shuts off on its own. Appears you have a couple of wires coming off your valve. I would see where they lead you.

Possibly he over filled tour tank?  I think I would try closing the valve and open it very slowly.  Bleed all air out of lines, try lighting the stove first. I believe those wires are just your gauge that tie back to your monitoring system 

1 minute ago, Trinidaddave said:

Possibly he over filled tour tank?  I think I would try closing the valve and open it very slowly.  Bleed all air out of lines, try lighting the stove first. I believe those wires are just your gauge that tie back to your monitoring system 

Just noticed the wires ncSteve was referring too.  Yes, you need to figure out what operates that solenoid.  Probably should know anyway

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, tact50 said:


‘94 Monaco dynasty

We went to U-Haul and filled up with LP. We were at a 1/2 tank of LP and everything was working (generator/fridge/stove).  After getting our tank filled we realized that nothing LP related would work (generator/fridge/stove) as if nothing is getting gas. We have the valve set to open. We went back to U-Haul and the technician who filled up the LP said “I am no technician” and refereed us to AmeriGas( who doesn’t open until Monday).

Any ideas or suggestions?

Attached are two pictures. One of the LP tank and the other of our traveling companion, Elton. 

 

 

You say you have the valve set to open, electrically?  Have you made sure the manual valve on the tank is open, they close it whenever they fill your tank.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What doesn't make any sense to me is there are TWO round notched handles on your tank whereas my LPG tank only has one.

Are both of those open? Plus you have an in-line safety LPG solenoid valve which has to be open for gas to reach your devices.

More troubleshooting needed.

Can't tell how full the tank is as the gauge is block by a hose but it should read approximately 80%.

Edited by Dr4Film
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Did you have devices on inside your coach before you turned on the value on on the cylinder? If so, go turn off all  gas appliances inside. Then turn off the knob on the propane cylinder. Wait about half minute, then turn cylinder back on. Go inside and try your appliance again. Also that relay is probably tied to tour LP detector. Has it gone off on you?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Probably already got this sorted out but this is what I would do to get it going.

Making an assumption that" nothing getting gas" means at the stove, there is no hissing when the knob is opened.

Check voltage at the terminals of the solenoid valve, lower right corner, should be battery voltage, around 12.8 vdc. Our Scepter has a switch for the solenoid valve very visible when the hatch is raised to the propane tank. Gas monkey has always turned that switch off, rarely turns it back on. There may be a switch in this area that he "knew" about or saw and it is off. Ours had an indicator light that was not working. Under $10 and simple swap, now easy to see if it is energized. (light PN in post on finding switch) If no power to the solenoid valve, causes might be switch off, fuse (worked b4 so probably not blown) or gas detector in galley kick board (opens power to solenoid) below sink of our MH. These are the main causes I can think of for it not to have voltage. It appears the piping with the tee is not connected to the 2nd White handle. If voltage at solenoid, is White handle valve really open or solenoid stuck. I believe all coaches must have a propane solenoid switch. Have someone switch it open and closed and hear or feel for the solenoid changing position. Solenoids do sometimes develop an open circuit and do not pull valve stem to open. You could measure current going thru solenoid or remove one of the leads and ohm the solenoid. Maybe around 60 ohms. The second white handle could be a separate port for liquid out of the tank or something entirely different. While the gas monkey was no tech, he should have been able to explain every step he took in filling the tank. If he only removed the yellow cover, connected hose, started pumping, opened vent to confirm when liquid reach the 80% level, filled tank until liquid spewed from vent, closed the vent valve, unscrewed fill hose and capped, then something "freaky" happened while you were driving/he was filling.  he might have set a tool on the solenoid and blown the fuse. Hope u have or do find the issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Thinking later in the evening about the tee and hose that goes down and under the lower cover. As u stated that the generator did not work, I would assume it is propane. It would require high pressure gas, not the 11"WC for stove, fridge and furnace so is probably sourced off the tee and hose, upstream of the solenoid.  If the generator is not working, the only thing in the picture I see that would keep it from receiving gas is the white valve labeled VAPOR. Newer DOT tanks have excessive flow checks and other stuff in the valve. I do not think you would have one. Someone above asked about it being over filled. What does the gauge show? Does the amount you paid come to 1/2 of the 80% capacity of the tank? U stated tank was 1/2 full. a propane expert might be able to safely open the relief in a well ventilated area and determine if a solid stream of liquid was coming out of the vent which might indicate it was over filled.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

What doesn't make any sense to me is there are TWO round notched handles on your tank whereas my LPG tank only has one.

Are both of those open? Plus you have an in-line safety LPG solenoid valve which has to be open for gas to reach your devices.

More troubleshooting needed.

Can't tell how full the tank is as the gauge is block by a hose but it should read approximately 80%.

The second valve is for liquid propane, which some generators may use.  My Dynasty has it too, but the outlet is just capped off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, dl_racing427 said:

The second valve is for liquid propane, which some generators may use.  My Dynasty has it too, but the outlet is just capped off.

Thanks for that information. I did not know that generators would use a liquid form of propane. I always thought that it was the vapors that burn and not the liquid similar to gasoline.

I remember seeing a video a long time ago of a person taking a lighted match and sticking it into a FULL glass of gasoline without having the gasoline ignite. It's the vapors that ignite, not the liquid plus gasoline vapors are seen rolling DOWN from the edges of the glass not rising similar to what LPG vapors do. Some gases are lighter and rise when in vapor form.

Aqua-Hot sells a LPG system, does that use liquid propane or vapors?

12 hours ago, ok-rver said:

I believe all coaches must have a propane solenoid switch.

My 2002 Windsor doesn't have a LPG solenoid or switch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What I know about propane wouldn't take much time to discuss, however when you look at the pic that tact50 sent his travel companion Elton is cute as heck an looks as though he is REALLY  enjoying his trip! Every time I put Roxi the wonder dog up on the seat she looks forward for just a second then curls up and turns the other way, she really does not like looking out the windshield when we are underway. 

Hope your repair is simple tact50, be sure to give Elton a scratch behind the ears, and safe travels.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Thanks for that information. I did not know that generators would use a liquid form of propane. I always thought that it was the vapors that burn and not the liquid similar to gasoline.

I remember seeing a video a long time ago of a person taking a lighted match and sticking it into a FULL glass of gasoline without having the gasoline ignite. It's the vapors that ignite, not the liquid plus gasoline vapors are seen rolling DOWN from the edges of the glass not rising similar to what LPG vapors do. Some gases are lighter and rise when in vapor form.

Aqua-Hot sells a LPG system, does that use liquid propane or vapors?

My 2002 Windsor doesn't have a LPG solenoid or switch.

DR4Film

The Onan LP generators do burn propane in its vapor form.

The liquid propane flows from the tank to the generator where it is vaporized by a VAPORIZER, (aka: propane carburetor), on the generator.

Propane Carburetor Price [Oct 2021] Found 278 For Sale

BTW the 'vaporizer' is warmed by the heat of the running generator engine ... preventing freeze ups  (even in  temps as low as -40 degrees Celsius .

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Mel S - '96 Safari said:

DR4Film

The Onan LP generators do burn propane in its vapor form.

The liquid propane flows from the tank to the generator where it is vaporized by a VAPORIZER, (aka: propane carburetor), on the generator.

Propane Carburetor Price [Oct 2021] Found 278 For Sale

BTW the 'vaporizer' is warmed by the heat of the running generator engine ... preventing freeze ups  (even in  temps as low as -40 degrees Celsius .

Mel, thanks for the informational post. I have learned something new today.

I appreciate you taking the time to explain that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Mel S - '96 Safari said:

DR4Film

The Onan LP generators do burn propane in its vapor form.

The liquid propane flows from the tank to the generator where it is vaporized by a VAPORIZER, (aka: propane carburetor), on the generator.

Propane Carburetor Price [Oct 2021] Found 278 For Sale

BTW the 'vaporizer' is warmed by the heat of the running generator engine ... preventing freeze ups  (even in  temps as low as -40 degrees Celsius .

Thanks for elaborating Mel.

I know our propane fork trucks at work use the liquid outlet, as you'll often get a spray of frosty LP when disconnecting one that's near empty. LOL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I spoke out of line. There have been a lot of post were an extend stay connection has been installed and many of those did not have solenoid valves located at the tank.  Therefore they would not have a solenoid switch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

We figured out our fix for the solution thanks for everyone’s help! It was as simple as requiring a reset of the gas detector located inside of the coach! You guys and gals are Lifesavers. 
 

we are enjoying our trip with smooth sailing for the most part! Elton is having a blast either way. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...